PDA

View Full Version : Resistance TO free weights?

yamatodamashii
25th May 2001, 11:36
In a couple of threads recently, I have been re-introduced to the idea that free weight training as a cross-training modality for martial arts is "bad" ("Why would you want to do that?", "Try swimming instead", etc.). This seems to me to be based on three factors:

1) The belief that lifting weights and/or having larger than average muscles somehow diminishes your speed, flexibility, and/or intelligence.
(In the 1920's, when people did slow bench presses OFF THE FLOOR (half-range of motion), this was true (for speed and flexibility, anyway). With modern training methods, this idea is patently, completely false.)

2) The belief that martial arts were really invented to help small, weak people defend themselves from large, strong people (when combined with #1, this implies that martial artists should endeavor NOT to become big and strong).
(Fairly silly, considering the amount of resistance training used every historical warrior group--shaolin, ninja... everybody. The other day, someone told me that karateka should NEVER lift weights because it hurt their technique. I laughed and pulled out my old Morio Higaonna books).

3) The fact that most people no longer rely on martial arts to save their lives--thus, giving no motivation to gain the advantages of greater size and strength, and allowing them to justify beliefs #1 and 2.

I am interested in other people's thoughts?

NoMan
26th May 2001, 18:10
Weight lifting has been plagued with myths and misconceptions, (same as martial arts), most of this based on true things, but from the wrong conclusions. For instance, bodybuilders used to be VERY slow, due to how they trained. They would train their pecs, biceps, and abs, with complete disregards towards their antagonist (opposing) muscle groups. The net effect was that one muscle group would completely overpower another, and it created a condition which came to being known as "muscle-bound".

The effect of this was that they had permanently humped backs, arms that were drawn in, and they leaned forward. I call this the "bodybuilder walk". However, we know now to train both sets of opposing muscle groups equally. If your gastrocnemius/ soleus (back calf)muscle groups overpower your anterior tibialis (front calf muscle on your shin), you will develop shin splints in a very short period of time. The weaker muscles would have to overcome the stronger muscles to contract, and there are two very important principles in speed. How fast one muscle contract, and how fast the opposing muscle group relaxes. Since the opposing muscle group had more force to overcome, it wouldn't relax as fast, hence slower movements. Try flexing your muscles as hard as you can and punching fast, it just doesn't work well.

So, we know must examine proper weight lifting. Watch Olympic sprinters, and note the size of their legs. They are massive. Yet, they still move VERY quickly and forcefully, while maintaining a very large range of motion. The reason is simple. A strong muscle will always contract faster than a weak muscle. Furthermore, exercises that permit a full range of motion, (squats, lunges, etc.), increase flexibility, especially when used in conjunction with stretching. Slow repetitions with a partial range of motion are what causes flexibility decreases. (Most forms of aerobics). Most people stretch before and after they run, thereby eliminating the effects of this.

If weight training were detrimental to sports performance, the Olympic athlete's, professional athlete's, and fitness experts of modern times wouldn't use it like they do. There are very few things as beneficial to the human body as proper weight lifting and exercise.

DavidMasaki
29th May 2001, 10:21
People that say weight training is bad for martial arts are just uninformed or practice an art that doesn't really care about their actual performance. I've never heard anyone try weight training and say it was bad for their martial arts. But on the other hand, look at all the boxers, kickboxers, judo players, jiu-jitsu players, NHB fighers, wrestlers, karateka, etc that view weight training as being an essential part of improving their performance in their martial art. I bet they're a lot faster than those that sit back and say, "weight training is not for martial artists--it'll just slow you down."

It shouldn't need to be said that weight training benefits practically any sport, not just martial arts. Martial arts are a physical activity just like sports. Many martial arts are sports. In saying that weight training is detrimental to martial arts training, you're saying that martial arts are somehow different from other sports and physical activities. To me doesn't make any sense. Also, in the martial arts I've practiced, a general observation is that the stronger guys will catch on quicker and perform much better than the weaker guys. Not always the case, but usually the case.