PDA

View Full Version : some help with kanji and japanese please

David Beckerman
27th May 2001, 19:41
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me here. When I was last in Japan about a year ago, I was told a story that Nagato Shihan told.

It boiled down to "Have the heart of a tiger and the mind of a dragon"

In my exceedingly limited japanese, I figured this to be Tora no kokoro, ryu no kokoro. I kinda like the use of the word kokoro here as apparently it can mean heart, spirit, mind. So it now becomes interchangeable, ie spirit of a tiger, heart of a dragon.

Is this an okay translation or would anyone kindly suggest a better version please?

Also, would anyone be willing to translate this into kanji for me, please?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Dave

Adam DArcy
1st June 2001, 15:32
Hello Dave,

What you have there sounds standard, and fine I think. I'm sure there are perhaps more eloquent ways of saying something like that, as there are many different ways to express oneself in English as well.

I started to post this with the intention of providing you the Japanese form of what you wrote, and just realized that my Japanese Input Method Editor is gone...for some reason. I'll relocate it and get back to you with the kanji. I'll also look into different ways that a Japanese person may express this.

Thanks,

Adam

ssanutokh
8th June 2001, 01:05
Dave, I have sent you the kanji via private email.

David Beckerman
10th June 2001, 22:49
Carl,

Sorry just realised that the email address I had on my profile is a bit out of date. I have updated it now. Would there be any possibility if you could send it again please?

my new email addy is ginger.dave@talk21.com

sorry to be a pain but it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

ssanutokh
11th June 2001, 20:13
No problem. It shoullld be winging it's way through bitworld to you now.