PDA

View Full Version : Sake aficionado's opinions appreciated

Chad Bruttomesso
28th May 2001, 02:30
Ummmm..SSSaaaakkkkeeee. A little ashamedly I must admit that I know absolutely nothing about sake except that I like to drink it. In fact it has become my drink of choice. I developed a taste for it while living in Japan, but, since then have become much more discriminatory about the quality of sake that I drink (maybe I am just getting old and finicky). These days ordering the cheapest sake on the menu in vast quantities does not appeal to me as much as ordering one bottle of the “good stuff”. So I went out and bought myself a book,“The Insider’s Guide to Sake” by Philip Harper, to try and learn a little. I have learned that I like sake both hot and cold, dry, and of the Junmai Ginjo variety.

Over the last few days I have noticed 2 threads regarding sake. It appears that there might be others that share my interest in sake here on E-Budo. With this in mind I thought it might be an appropriate forum to seek counsel on the subject. I would be most grateful if people would share their preferences in types/categories of sake, whether they like it hot or cold, the “good, bad and ugly” of sakes, where to get it and any other points they would like to make. I am open to just about anything on the subject and would like to experiment with sake a little. Also, anything regarding O-choko or tokuri, where to buy them, what are the different types and how are they used would be intriguing.

Thank you in advance for all of the educated, humorous, resolute and down right interesting opinions that could potentially be voiced on the subject.

Thank you,

:beer:

nicholas
1st June 2001, 21:03
Like you, I too got hooked on it in Japan. I don't know too much about Sake as far as brands, types etc... I am waiting for people "in the know" who have more experience than I to at least post something here!

-Nicholas Trammell

Chad Bruttomesso
4th June 2001, 17:18
Nicholas,

Thank you for posting here. I was getting quite lonely waiting around watching the tumbel weeds roll by.

Last weekend I did try a Daiginjo for the first time. To see if there truly is a difference I drank it alongside a sake from Hakusan (Napa Sake type). At first there was a significant difference ,but, after a few glasses the differences began to fade. I will blame this on the fact that they warmed up instead of on my being a little on the tipsy side and lucky to even be able to tell I was drinking sake.

Thanks again for posting.

:toast:

nicholas
4th June 2001, 18:02
I tried a very generic Japanese brand this weekend. I can only compare it to "Moon Bae Sool", which is a Korean type of sake-esque drink and to a type of Sake made in Colorado.

The Moon Bae sool was a little too bitter for my tastebuds. I ended up making Sake-tonics with it. They turned out pretty good! At one point I mixed the Korean "Sake" with Anisette and was amazed at how well they went together!

The Sake from Colorado is dirty-wino-cheap (about 9.00 for a giant jug) and for the money it isn't that bad. Again, that taste between bitter and sour that sake can have sometimes. When you heat it up it's actually pretty allright! I got it from some Japanese college student friends of mine that swear by it.

I do not remember the brand that I drank this weekend, but it was pretty good and very inexpensive. I will find out the brand and let you know. It didn't have that bitter/sour taste that the cheap stuf usually has and was quite smooth.

The restaurant where I drank this brand had an interesting Sake-martini that I have yet to try. Sake, Vermouth and a makerel stuffed olive!

Any thoughts or opinions on mixed Sake drinks? It's an area that I have yet to really delve into, but since I can be somewhat of a "mad scientist" when alchoholic beverages, I can't wait to try.

Another question to anyone who may know: What is the difference between Sake and Korean So-ju. They taste diferent, but I am told that they are both "Rice-wines". So-ju has a completely different effect and taste so I am a little confused.

Thanks,

Nicholas Trammell

hyaku
4th June 2001, 23:42
Some of the best sake comes from Niigata Prefecture.

The Japanese climate makes sake brewing a seasonal thing. For example in Kyushu island brewing is from November

A sake called Koshi no Kambai is supposed to be the best and is very expensive. But it is overated. By far the most popular now is one called Komatsu.

It really depends on how you drink it. Atsukan- quite hot or Reishu to be drank chilled.

Really like wine a personal preference. The best isn't necessarily expensive.

One thing for sure is it doesn't keep. You need to buy it and drink it!

Hope this helps

Hyakutake Colin

http://www.bunbun.ne.jp/~sword

Chad Bruttomesso
6th June 2001, 19:18
I couldn't agree more about drinking sake quickly. I learned this the hard way when I attempted to drink a sake that had been in the fridge for over a month. Needless to say it made a nice cooking sake but not much of a drinking sake.

Considering that I am somewhat of a stickler for tradition I haven't tried sake in mixed drinks yet. Then again, there is always room for change.

Thanks for the helpful tips and keep them coming.

Thanks,

PingAnTu
17th June 2001, 07:08
The best sake I ever had was KARATE sake! Ever heard of it? Well, it's not called karate sake but that's the way they were selling it. At the Okinawan world championships and dedication of the Okinawa Prefecture Hall of martial arts in 1997, they were selling this sake with pictures of karate guys on it. I thought it was pretty cool so I got one as a souvenier.

Well, I wasn't going to drink it but one night I had a friend come all the way from asia to visit. That night we were drinking good old american beer. And drink we did! Anyway, the beer dried up and all the stores were closed. We resigned to just sober up until my eye caught the bottle of Karate sake in my kitchen cupboard. I didn't think twice. I warmed it, opened it up, poured a couple of glasses. I have to tell you that it was one of those rare experiences of pure pleasure. I didn't know that sake could be that good. I wish I knew which brand it was 'cause I would get another one. Was anybody else at that tournament?

M Clarke
26th June 2001, 05:05
G'day Chad, and all,
What a great thread. Like you I got hooked on sake in Japan. At one point I would drink anything atsukan, both in summer and winter. After a few years I became more descriminating. A few friends would take me to izakaya where they would ntorduce me to varieties which they insisted I drink cold. Best sake I ever had was in a freshly made square pine wood cup (the resin taste still strong) with salt around the rim. I got married recently and one of my dojo mates sent an 18 litre carton of Goshu to my house. It arrived the same day the inlaws (14 of them) from Osaka, Kawagoe and Sadogajima. Now, that was a big box of sake.. not only did it last my troup of Japanese farming inlaws from Sado, but also several serious attempts by me and the dojo rats to kill it. I'm sorry to say it only finally gave its last drop a couple of weeks ago. Goshu is our local (Aussie) brew. Pretty good too. Most of it gets sent to Japan. We don;t get a lot of good stuff in Aus... mostly your Genmaishu and Hakushika (the American brew which I can only drink hot but it is ok hot). But I have just discovered a shop in our local Chinatown that sells some of the better quality Japanese sakes. I'm looking forward to sharing info if this thread continues.

Best regards