PDA

View Full Version : Who is the greatest Judo Competitor

Stephenjudoka
28th May 2001, 09:23
Who in your opinion is the greatest Judo competitior the World has ever seen.

I have several nominations not all were champions but their style is different.

1. Kaisuhiko Kashiwazaki
2. Anton Geesink
3. Yasuhiro Yamashita
4. Nobiyuki Sato
5. Robert Vandervalle

This is not in any order.
I do have a special respect for Kashiwazaki because of all the injuries and setbacks he had before becoming world champion.
Also he was World Judo and Sombo champion (I believe the only man to have held both titles)

What do you think?.

Stephen Sweetlove

stir
28th May 2001, 13:33
well, i'd have to say Yamashita gets my vote..

just the fact that he went over 200 matches without ever suffering a loss is quite incredible.

William F. Kincaid
28th May 2001, 14:08
Yamashita plain and simple it is said he could do almost any throw from any grip on any opponent.

that is how every Judoka should treat Judo

Joshua Crison
1st June 2001, 11:08
Tomioka Shuzo, Kodokan roku-dan, one of my teachers votes for Yamashita, he would post himself, but does not speak english, let alone read and write. I only posted this for him becuase he just showed me a picture of him and Yamashita.

MarkF
2nd June 2001, 09:18
Hi, Joshua,
We used to have a universal translator, but if you can translate his Japanese, you could post for him now and then, like you did above. In fact, he could register as a member in the same way. Perhaps a Spotlight forum with him as the guest, you could moderate it for him.

Just a thought.

Mark

Joshua Crison
4th June 2001, 06:15
I will ask him today when I goto his work (he does physical therapy for sports injuries) My Japanese isnt the best, but Im shure if I can convience him between myself and a few other friends of mine I could get it acomplished, but his replies might be abit slow in coming .... Ill see what I can manage