PDA

View Full Version : Similarities between bo/jo ryu-ha?

Paul Steadman
28th May 2001, 10:56
Hi Guys,

Are the techniques of jodo similar in appearance, execution and application to the bojutsu & hanbojutsu of Hontai Yoshin-ryu (stemming from Kukishin-ryu) or the bojutsu of Katori Shinto-ryu? Or is it more flowing and close-in?

I've seen and trained in HYR bojutsu/hanbojutsu and I have footage of KSR bojutsu, but I have no idea of jodo except what I've seen on the "Budo: The Art of Killing," video.

Regards,

Paul Steadman

Meik Skoss
29th May 2001, 13:48
Katori Shinto-ryu, Shinto Muso-ryu and Hontai Yoshin-ryu are all very different arts in appearance. So are Chikubujima-ryu, Muhi Muteki-ryu, Muhen-ryu, Yagyu Shingan-ryu, Toda-ha Buko-ryu (to name a few of the ryu that either center on or contain bojutsu as part of their curricula).

Would you expect unrelated ryu to be similar? If so, why? If they were, what would that indicate to you? They aren't, what do you suppose that means? Are you doing a study of different koryu the similarities (or lack thereof) of ryu you haven't yet seen?

Paul Steadman
31st May 2001, 02:52
Hi Meik,

Thanks for the information. I think? You'll have to excuse my ignorance on such matters, I'm prettey new at this koryu thing. You've probably forgotten more than than I'll never know, hence my posting questions on this forum. In hindsight it does seem like a stupid question! All the best.

Regards,

Paul Steadman