PDA

View Full Version : Sosuishi-ryu (Sosuishitsu-ryu)?

mdheiler
28th May 2001, 20:15
Having some actual free time this weekend, I was able to surf the web for marital arts sites. I came across a couple (actually three) sites for Sosuishi-ryu / Sosuishitsu-ryu Jujutsu in the United States. Curiousity has taken hold.

Is anyone familiar with this style? Is it similar to any other styles (as a means of comparison and identification)? What is the quality of instruction available in the U.S.? How well respected is the group?

I also notices what seemed to be a schism between two factions of practitioners of the style in the U.S. I do not want the responses to this post to focus on this issue, but could someone briefly summarize?

Thanks in advance.
- Michael D. Heiler

Kit LeBlanc
29th May 2001, 03:37
Mike,

The system is fairly active with several different dojo in the Portland, OR (I don't think all are public) area and in New York. There is also a group in Australia.

It is a Sengoku-era jujutsu system, and has a lot of battlefield techniques for grappling in armor that are pretty cool. I do not believe they actually practice in armor.

There is also an Iai curriculum, which I believe they call Koshi-no-mawari within the ryu. Friends I have that practice the system and have visited Shitama Sensei in Japan have told me that there has recently been a re-unification of sorts with another branch of the ryu that only practiced the Iai, and an exchange is ongoing or in the works or something like that.

There does seem to be some political schism in the group, but I do not know the full details, and besides, not being a member I would not comment any further.

Kit LeBlanc

Steve Delaney
30th May 2001, 15:32
Billy who?

Please write your full name as per forum rules.

The most convenient way would be to use the personal signature function on your members control board.

Not being a prig, I'm just interested to know how you are. :)

Regards

Ben Reinhardt
31st May 2001, 19:36
My understanding is that Jigoro Kano and the headmaster (at that time) of the ryu were good friends and exchanged a lot of technical information. Some of the techniques in the Kime No Kata of Judo come from Sos. Ryu.

There is a guy who actively practices Sos. Ryu in the Portland area who is active on Judo-L and on the Judo section of the Underground Forum, goes by the handle Mekugi (Russ Chan). He has written some pretty extensive stuff on Sos. Ryu. Maybe he will show up here.

Ben Reinhardt

Dan Harden
7th June 2001, 12:19
This is the link for the home page of the New York School headed up by Dennis Fink.

http://www.nyseibukan.com/SJJK/sjjk.html

Dennis Fink, *International Director*
of Sosuishi-Ryu JuJutsu under Master Manzo Shtama, 16th headmaster of Sosuishi-Ryu
his dojo is the New York Seibukan
103-12 Metropolitan Avenue, Forest Hills, NY 11375
Phone (718) 268-9300

Without going into detail, lets just say he is the "official" and probably *only* guy you should see when looking for Sosuishitsu (Sosuishi)-Ryu JuJutsu on the east coast.....

It was heavily Takeouchi ryu based, then influnced by Kodokan judo later....or so I was told.

Dan

Yamantaka
8th June 2001, 13:54
Originally posted by Dan Harden
This is the link for the home page of the New York School headed up by Dennis Fink.

http://www.nyseibukan.com/SJJK/sjjk.html

Dennis Fink, *International Director*
of Sosuishi-Ryu JuJutsu under Master Manzo Shtama, 16th headmaster of Sosuishi-Ryu
his dojo is the New York Seibukan
103-12 Metropolitan Avenue, Forest Hills, NY 11375
Phone (718) 268-9300
Dan

YAMANTAKA : Thank you for the tip, Dan!
Best regards
Ubaldo
P.S. Did you send my tapes??? :cry: