PDA

View Full Version : Texan in Tokyo Jail

John Lindsey
30th June 2000, 15:02
Saw on the local news last night that a fellow Houstonian has been in a Narita holding cell for the past week due to a customs violation. Seems that he forgot that he had 6 bullets in his duffle bag...leftover from a hunting trip last month here in Texas. I think he was on his way out of the country since they police are checking to make sure they didn't come from the Japanese "black market" as they said. His family back here reported that the Japanese have been very strict about this whole affair and they are not sure if he will be allowed home anytime soon..

will
30th June 2000, 19:41
Hmph! Well then, in 2 weeks we're going in with about a dozen Texans. We'll bust him out, Texan style (with the rope tied around the bars and to the horses, etc).

- Will Schutt

* Note to Japanese Consulate: The above was a joke, intended for entertainment and amusement purposes only. :D Please don't arrest us.

Mark Brecht
2nd July 2000, 16:44
Japanese jails are not fun.

I had a buddy of mine in jail here for overstay of his visa. He lost a few pounds.

The buddy of a friend of mine, came to visit Japan. At Narita Immigration denied his tourist visa application (the reason was that they thought he could not prove his intentions as a tourist). They kept him in detention for several days, until the next plane to his homecountry took off. During this time my friend here was not allowed to visit or even talk to him. Neither was his embassy, or his parents who contact the Japanese Embassy in their country...

I am not sure, but i think, that is breaking international law regarding the contact to ones embassy personnal onces under detention or arrest.

PS: BTW, i think they charged him for the accommodation and the food....

MarkF
2nd July 2000, 17:22
A while back, Paul McCartney was held up in customs in Japan (I don't think it was Narita) because they were suspicious of a particular herbal medication which he fancied very much (and admittedly, still does). This caused a delay in leaving the country for his home in Sotland. Some time later, he was again held up in Japanese customs because he was in posession of this same herb. This time, it was not so easy. He spent five unwanted months in the "Japanese Hilton" before being allowed to leave. When the press asked him if he were still going to use said medication, Paul quipped "I don't think I'll be going back to Japan anytime soon."

ghp
6th July 2000, 04:24
Mark,

Sotland

I'm sure that is unintentional -- appropriate, nonetheless :D

When I was there for 3 months (Isle of Skye), I saw many people sotted.

Regards,
Guy

Jabonn
16th July 2000, 03:28
Will, Please share the story of you and the Iai, gang busting him out. It should make an excellent topic at the saturday morning board meeting. JB