PDA

View Full Version : Running/jumping/flips

PHILBERT
31st May 2001, 22:08
I was wanting to know if anyone has ideas for doing exercises to increase the body's jumping distance for running and jumping, and standing still and jumping up. Also ways to increase running speed (I assume carry weights in the hands and jogging with them). And my last is for doing flips. I can sort of do flips, forward but I land on my back. If I just jump forward and try to flip, I have to use my hands. If I run and jump, I can do it without hands, but I always, always land on my back or arm. I can not even begind to do back flips and anyone got any idea on how to train to do flips? Thanks.

NoMan
31st May 2001, 23:24
Try doing various plyometric exercises. I have a small list at my website,

http://www.martialartsreview.com/noframes/matraining/training/jumping.html

The increase the muscles contractions by invoking the myotic reflex. The myotic reflex is whenever you make a contraction/stretch too fast, and the opposite muscle group contracts to limit that movement. (Kick your leg above your head, you'll find out.) This uses it in a more positive way, to cause your muscle to do "Deep fiber contractions" (using muscle fibers normally unstimulated by resistence). For flipping, here's some ideas.

Put on a gi, and make sure your gi belt is tied tightly. Have two partners on each side, hooking on the side of you, on your belt. Jump up, and they will hold you in the air, and flip you by throwing your feet over if they have too. The key is to get your body to get the movements right.

Or, if you are near a rock climbing gym, hook your harness onto a rope, and have your friend on the ground pull you up. Practice doing flips in the air. We have a Tew Ryu video where guys are running across a mountain doing flips. It's MUCH harder than it looks.

Plyometrics also increases the speed of contraction, which increases speed for kicking and for running. Be warned, hard plyometrics leads to very sore legs. Have fun.

PHILBERT
1st June 2001, 05:55
I don't plan the being held by 2 people. I weigh like 160 and most of the people in my TKD are not super strong. Fast as bullet, but not strong. Only 4 people I can think of that are pretty built, one scares me alot, one is the instructor, and the other 2 hardly show up anymore. I have heard of that hole jumping thing, I just know my mother would kill me if I dug a 3-4 foot whole in our back lawn. I know of few things such as jumping with weights, etc. My main problem is that I got scoliosis a little bit, and it throws off my balance when doing certain things. I can't touch my toes with my legs straight, but I can kick pretty high and hit a 6'4" person in his face. But when I do flips (THIS is probably what is stopping me), the thing is probably throwing my balance of weight off and I fall. If you need to know the definition of it, go here:

http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=scoliosis

Basically, it's a back curve problem. Like Qusimodo in Hunchback of Notre Dame, but nothing remotely close to that bad. In fact, most people can't tell I got it, unless I bend over to touch my toes.

NoMan
1st June 2001, 16:41
[QUOTE]Originally posted by W.Kent Bergstrom
Sorry for being picky but...
You might want to change the spelling on that one..
the term is myotatic reflex :
n : STRETCH REFLEX /stretch_reflex

the following and there meanings:
myotic :var of MIOTIC
miotic : also my*ot*ic <../m/myotic n : an agent that causes miosis
also myotic <../m/myotic adj : relating to or characterized by miosis .
also my*o*sis <../m/myosis n, pl mi*o*ses also my*o*ses : excessive smallness or contraction of the pupil of the eye .

Make sure someone has insurance when your doing all this "friends flipping you upside down and such". Landing on your head can get mighty expensive ;)

An old Okinawan trick is to dig a hole maybe shy of waist high.
If you can jump out of the hole with the feet to the sides of the top of the hole then out some weights on your body so you can just barely jump out. Keep doing that till it's easy and add some weight or dig the hole deeper.

Whatever you do make sure someone who knows what they're doing is around with you. All this jumping, hopping, swinging flipping can make a mess of your body if your out of posture, bad taijutsu (body movement) knees not over feet etc.

W.Kent Bergstrom [/QUOTE

You are correct Mr. Bergstrom, I am thinking of the myotatic reflex and the inverse myotatic reflex. I will correct it on my website as well. Thanks. :smilejapa As for the friends flipping you, it's not very hard to do. In fact, it's a lot easier than it sounds. Doing a backflip is more mental than physical, it's just getting over the mental handicap you place on yourself. Try back handsprings first, to get used to going backwards, and then progress to trying backflips. Mr. Bergstrom is also right in getting someone who's qualified to help you do these gymnastic feats. Otherwise, you could be in for trouble.

koshoT
1st June 2001, 21:17
Here's a couple of suggestions for increasing your ertical leap.
I also want to increase my jumping abilites and these are some exercises that I have been told to do.
Buy a sunflower plant and plant it in the ground. Jump over the sunflower every day, forwards, backwards, side to side etc.
Continue to jump over the sunflower everyday, it will grow pretty fast. Once the sunflower gets too tall for you to jump over anymore, buy a new one and begin the process again.
Another exercise is jumping patterns:
Try jumping in a pattern but try to jump and land without making sound, and without swinging your hands.
I am also a volleyball player and a good vertical jump is always great to have. In practice we would do numerous jumping exercises, most invloved jumping over othe teammates. But as long as you keep jumping your vertiacl leap will improve.

Thank you,
Tom Berkery

PHILBERT
2nd June 2001, 02:04
I have been professionally diagnosed with it so it is in my medical records. However, I am about 6'1", 160 lbs. I kind of lean over to the side when I kick, kind of like that pic of Bruce Lee fighting Kareem Abdul Jabbar in his movie. Anyway, I have tried flying jump kicks, and landed on my butt. Tried them again, landed on my butt. Tried them again, landed on my back and stomach and so on. Flying jump kicks is not my thing.

zzzen
2nd June 2001, 03:27
There's an exercise I got out of an old basketball book a while ago that's for training vertical leap. You do the 'kangaroo jumps' by putting your hands behind your back, and with your feet shoulder width apart, jump as high as you can, trying to reach the sky with your head. If you make sure your hamstrings touch your calves at the bottom when you explode upwards, sets of 10-15 explosive jumps will be quite a workout.

As well, I get some interesting ideas for athletic and strength training from www.testosterone.net. It's worth a look. Just use the search option, and type in 'vertical leap' or something :)

Laurence Man