PDA

View Full Version : Kototama

Kevin73
1st June 2001, 06:43
I have read several Aikido books and they have mentioned that Ueshiba practiced kototama as part of his training/meditation. Even though alot mention it, I haven't been able to find any good sources telling what it is exactly. Do any aikidokas on this board practice it? And if so, could you help point me in the right direction or give me some techniques to practice with? Thanks

Sid
1st June 2001, 21:55
Hi there

I can not give you any information, but the book,

The Spiritual Foundations of Aikido (William Gleasing)

goes into kototama.

Sid

Yamantaka
2nd June 2001, 12:38
Originally posted by Kevin73
I have read several Aikido books and they have mentioned that Ueshiba practiced kototama as part of his training/meditation. Even though alot mention it, I haven't been able to find any good sources telling what it is exactly. Do any aikidokas on this board practice it? And if so, could you help point me in the right direction or give me some techniques to practice with? Thanks

YAMANTAKA : For books on Kotatama by Nakazono Sensei :
http://www.kototamabooks.com/ Nakazono is dead but I believe his son still teaches Kototama.
The book "SPIRITUAL FOUNDATIONS OF AIKIDO", by William Gleason is also a very good introduction by a man who lived for 10 years in Japan, studying Aikido and Kototama.
The book "SECRETS OF AIKIDO", by John Stevens, came with an audio tape teaching many kototama. It will be interesting to take a look and see if it still does.
Best regards and good keiko