PDA

View Full Version : "O-Sensei" Phil Porter

47th ronin
1st June 2001, 14:34
I have read much about this man and his organization(s) and politics. I would like to know how good his judo is. There is an
upcoming seminar in Toronto that includes O-Sensei Porter, and many others.(Hosted by Dano Meadows).

I am both interested and leary of this seminar. My question is, if you are not looking for rank through their organization(s), would you consider it worthwhile to take a seminar from Mr. Porter, Mr. Meadows or others of their associates. I mean, is their martial artistry as false as their title claims?

Perhaps this should be posted in Bad Budo.

MarkF
2nd June 2001, 10:19
That's a good question, Cris. I've played a little randori with him, and he has done judo for a long time.

That said, it certainly doesn't withstand a 9-dan, nor is he an O-sensei. I've heard some great stories from people in Japan and/or the Budokwai from his early days. Donn Draeger commented on him, and basically said the same thing while being disappointed in what he was doing with his group concerning the real purpose; money. That probably was the Armed Forces Judo Association, or early USJA.

From people I know and trust, most say his judo isn't that good, and almost everyone suggests keeping a tight hold on the wallet when he is around.

But his wisdom is precisely what undercuts his reasons for doing what he does. "If the other judo (and other MA groups) haven't been fair to you, come over to my group and I'll give you the rank you deserve and/or recognize you as soke." That is a very short descriptions of his reasons for doing what he does, but it is also fairly accurate.

Whether a seminar with him is worth the money is depends on what you expect to get out of it. If it is to see what the fuss is about, to find out for yourself what a person is like who refers to himself as Great Teacher is worth it, then go for it. But for an education, there are probably much better, certainly better people than him in judo.

As to Dano Meadows, well, he is a 10-dan in something only he can identify, I would guess, called Kenpokido. Enter that as a search word and you get Dano. He is a very young man to even make the claim, and somehow went from 8-dan to 10-dan in less than a year, something even Porter didn't know of at the time.

What attracts some people are the few well-known and gifted MAists who are attached to his organization, and most are simply asked if they can "use you." Gene LeBell is one whom I know to be a great judoka and grappler, but do you really think he tells people he has a 10-dan in wrestling? Some are connected indirectly, but still connected, so I won't get specific with them. But if he is 9-dan, then what about people like Vince Tamura, who was the Masters Champion for 17 years only to quit "because there is no competition." But Phil, well he plods along in the same tournaments, or did until fairly recently, not winning, just going. Mits Kimura, Kenneth Kuniyuki, Hank Ozawa, Larry Kobayashi (at seventy-six, still calls himself a student of Kuniyuki who is ninety, and that was nearly a year ago so ninety-one now, probably). Then T.P. Leggett, who was a 6-dan more years (fifty) than I've been alive, who only passed away last August 2.

One could go on and on on whether it may be worth the money to see some of this, or if it isn't the issue of wasting money, then for curiosity, surely. But compared to his contemporaries, he is nothing in comparison. Perhaps you could ask him how he received his 10-dan in shihan-ryu aikido right after you ask him what shihan ryu is.

The claim is that such rank is honorary. Well, of course it is honorary after a while, when you can be judged solely on what you have done for judo, so what has O-Phil done for judo?

In August, he and a bunch of cronies are getting together for a mass promotion event, entering people into the USMA Hall of Fame, but if you want to see something with some history, Lou Thezs will be there, and he has more going as an ex-professional wrestler than Phil does at judo. Bring the kids! Discounts for multiple students, and the Hall of Fame is a must see.:)

So will you learn anything? Absolutely. Will it be an education in judo and kenpokido, probably, but if you mean in an academic, martial way kind of way, then probably not.

I can't tell you you won't learn, I just can't tell you what it would be.

Take a long look at his website[s] first, though. http://www.mararts.org .

Personally, I've met him twice. He is a nice enough man, but don't get the better of him. He can be quite rude, from what I have been told.

Best regards,

Mark

MarkF
2nd June 2001, 10:29
BTW: I don't think a question on a judo seminar is bad budo. It may have that look and feel, but it is probably better to ask here. I know members of this board are members of the USMA, and are most likely very good judoka.

They, for the most part, followed him when he was thrown out of the USJA, feeling he got a "raw deal."

Mark

dainippon99
3rd June 2001, 03:19
hi all,
i have attended one of porter sensei's seminars and belong to his assoc. Im not to keen on the USMA, but i trust my instructor in this matter. i really dont like the large amount of crap that they recognise, but like mark said, there are some great people associated with the USMA. I attended porter sensei's seminar a year or so ago, and found it to be mediocre. first of all, porter's technique is good. he has good ideas in the realm of judo and martial arts all together. the feeling that i got from the seminar was not as good as i expected it to be. everything was expensive (as has been discussed by mark) and the instruction was only par for the course, if you know what i mean. i did get to meet him, and found him to be a fairly nice man. the fact that he is a 9th/10th dan kind of (i.e. REALLY!!!!!!) takes away from his legitimacy. seems like he is in martial arts for the power and rank.

47th ronin
5th June 2001, 14:06
Thank you for the considered responses. I think I will pass on the seminar, spend my money on a bottle of Talisker scotch and go to the bluesfest that weekend instead:D