PDA

View Full Version : Shidoshi means?

yamatodamashii
1st July 2000, 04:35
I'm trying to answer a language question for a friend of mine... He wants to know what exactly "shidoshi" means. I've never seen it written in kanji; nor have I seen it used outside the Bujinkan. Can someone give me the kanji/translation?

Thanks

Eric L. Spoonhunter
1st July 2000, 10:09
I would be interested in input to this question as well. I believe I read somewhere that Hatsumi-Sensei coined the term "Shidoshi". This would be in line with Jason's statement that he has never heard it used outside the Bujinkan circle. However...

I have actually heard it used elsewhere: in the movie "Bloodsport" (c'mon, we can admit we watched it) ;) Van Dam (Dame/Damm/Damme/Damn!?) called his teacher "Shidoshi"

Ahhh, Hollywood...

kenkyusha
1st July 2000, 13:07
Hi,

The kanji kinda say finger-pointer way person, or, a guide (as opposed to a shihan or something). Hope that helps.

Be well,
Jigme

Adam DArcy
3rd July 2000, 02:04
Hello,

If you can read Kanji in your browser, I believe it is

Žw“±Žt

Jigme-san translated the meanings of the Kanji well, I think, but it also seems to depend on the school. I would recommend asking your instructor what it means in your school, or if there are other words that are used.

Hope this helps!

Adam

Earl Hartman
3rd July 2000, 04:34
Outside of the Clod Van Damn movie mentioned above (hated it), I have never heard the term "shidoshi" ("he/she/who guides/instructs")used as a proper noun or as a form of address referring to a teacher or instructor. In e-budo B.C. (Before Crash) there was a thread about this, and someone mentioned that it was a term coined by Hatsumi Sensei. As such, it would seem to be a specific term for an instructor used only within his organization. In ALL of the arts that I have practiced, I have never heard a teacher referred to as anything other than "Sensei". Terms such as "Hanshi" or other titles denoting a specific rank, are formal terms of address used in written documents, not in conversation.

Earl

Anders Pettersson
3rd July 2000, 10:11
Hi.

Within Shorinji Kempo we use a similar "title". There are instructors that are appointed the position of Hombu Shidoin ( –{•”Žw“±ˆõ ) or sometimes referred to as only "shidoin" ( Žw“±ˆõ ) the first two kanji are the same as in "shidoshi" and the last "in" means something like "member".
The term is used for the position a person holds, (I also believe that the instructors get this fore a limited time, that has to be renewed by the headquarters) and I have never heard anybody call somebody "shidoin", when talking to the instructor, one always use "sensei". As many had said before, in most Budo as in Shorinji Kempo you direct somebody as "sensei" even if they are (have the position of) doin-cho ( “¹‰@’· ) or shidoin ( Žw“±ˆõ ).

I also believe that they use the same word within Aikido (at least in Aikikai in Sweden). They have shidoin and also fuku shidoin (fuku=assistant).

But as Earl says I have never heard the term of "shidoshi" in other Budo or outside the Ninpo organisation.

Anders
www.shorinji-kempo.org (http://www.shorinji-kempo.org)