PDA

View Full Version : Escobedo's Martial Arts Academy

PHILBERT
2nd June 2001, 05:46
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Park/2781/

I was browsing the net and this caught my eye. I am not one to point fingers or anything, but just check out his profile:

Sifu Escobedo has 24 years of martial arts experience and is also a Sifu in Northern Shaolin. Sifu Escobedo started his martial arts training in Chinese Kenpo Kung-fu under Sibok Odie Molina in San Antonio, Texas while being station at Kelly Air Force Base. While station in Hawaii, he started his training in KEMPO karate under Johnathan Vance, who was under Martin Buell. After leaving Hawaii, he started his training in Northern Shaolin Longfist under Robert Hartfield in Dallas, Texas. While moving to Arlington, Texas, he began his training in Ed Parker's Kenpo karate, but later went back to studying Northern Shaolin under Sifu Joseph Chang from Taipei, Taiwan. After leaving Arlington, Texas, Sifu Chang gave Sifu Escobedo permission to teach Northern Shaolin. During this time frame he began his studies in KAJUKEMBO under Professor Richard Peralta. Sifu Escobedo is now under the direction of Professor Angel Garcia Soldado from Madrid, Spain.

He has had more teachers by more names than I can count. Some of this I find unusual for a Kung Fu place. I also took a look at the pictures and all of them were broken links and deleted. Anyone else find this odd? Or am I just wrong?

Dennis_Mahon
2nd June 2001, 07:16
Sounds like a Martial Art Gypsy; somebody who moves around a lot, jumping from one style to another, either because of job requirements or "seeking that ultimate art". I've known a few in my time (Hell, I could probably be considered one because I switched styles more than once).

While training in multiple styles in and of itself isn't so bad, it's best to master at least one before you do so. I'm starting over again from scratch, and I have a boatload of bad habits to overcome.

What isn't apparent from the clip you've posted is how long Sifu Escobedo has trained in his current style/tradition.

Soulend
2nd June 2001, 13:22
As it appears this gentleman was in the military, I can understand his teacher-swapping. Some don't seem to comprehend that many of us in the service lead a nomadic lifestyle, and we simply do not have the luxury of training under one instructor (or style) for many years at a stretch. Not every style is available at every place you deploy or are stationed, so you have two options: Start training in another style or cease training altogether.

I am actually impressed that he continued training and that he honors his teachers by listing them by name..like a kiezu. So many noted martial artists do not show their teachers proper respect and credit by listing their names and lineage in books, websites, etc. Many could not even tell you who their teacher's teacher was. That's a shame. How can you know where you are going if you don't know where you came from?

-David Craik
aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt

Steve Williams
2nd June 2001, 23:12
I don't see a problem with being a 'Ronin student'.

The only thing is as Dennis said "What isn't apparent from the clip you've posted is how long Sifu Escobedo has trained in his current style/tradition".
The site is unclear, and many of the links are 'broken' but this does not indicate that the style or instruction is bad.

PHILBERT
3rd June 2001, 05:14
Cool, because when I move back to that town, I was considering on going to his academy to learn. I don't really like the art I am doing now, and wanted opinions on this man. Sure he may be lying through his teeth, but until I check him out, I won't know for sure. Anyway, thanks. If anyone has anything to add, go ahead after this.

Devon Smith
3rd June 2001, 05:46
Thanks to some of the folks in the U.S. military who did spend a small amount of time overseas, then bringing back what they'd found, I received an introduction to some Japanese arts one/two/three generations later. Having that introduction made it possible for me to get back to the original sources myself.

I wish some of those guys were still around...I'd send them my heartfelt thanks in an instant.

IchiRiKen1
5th June 2001, 01:48
As a fellow service member and a Chinese stylist (now living in Japan and training in Karate, soon Battojutsu as well), I would like to say that not only is the "nomadic student" common to the military, but is pretty normal for traditional Chinese training.

What I think most folks in the US (or similar nations in the West) fail to realize, remember, or just don't know, is that it is rather uncommon to stick to one school, religiously, for decades at a time. It is a fairly modern convention, as far as I am aware, to even have a formal, standardized, single location institution teaching one particular form of budo.

Look at the histories of martial luminaries the world over. You will see that they were itinerant students as well, learning for different periods of time with multiple instructors. Most, agreeably, had one primary "master" on whose direction they went to study with other teachers (typically friends of the primary "master"), and remained faithful to that teacher for the longest time. But dabbling in this and that as the situation demanded was part and parcel of older training...

If you look at the history of Sun Lu Tang (founder of Sun style Taijiquan, renowned instructor of Xingyiquan, Taijiquan and Baguazhang), you will see that he had at least a half dozen instructors over his lifetime, often from completely different lineages. If I remember correctly, Ueshiba and Funakoshi both were taught and tutored by numerous instructors before they gained a high degree of skill.

Anyway, my point is simply that Chinese stylists, though not so much so in the US (as that is the only place other than Japan that I have trained), often flit about for varying periods of time. Normal for us kung fu folks...

Just my 2 yen (if I misspoke, please correct me; my wife killed my ego years ago, so I appreciate any corrections given...)

Matt Stone

PHILBERT
5th June 2001, 03:07
Well, if I move back to Arlington (I hope I do because my best friend lives there and we can party all night each night), should I actually train with him based off of what you guys read? I am not an expert on ex-military people training in the arts over sea and then teaching here. Sure I will still check out his classes, be sure he is nice, and surprise him, not like call up and set up an appointment so I can see how he really does his teaching. I don't want to say I will be there and walk in and he acts like this really awesome person then when I start, he becomes a complete jerk and hits his students and is really cruel. I always found it good just to pop in and surprise them so you can see how they really are.

Scott Rehark

IchiRiKen1
5th June 2001, 03:21
Y'know, to be honest, the best policy with any prospective new school is simply to go and watch classes... Note the plural there.

Sometimes the instructors teach very differently depending on the class environment. I handle kids way more strictly than I do adults, because I expect more out of them. So if you go and watch a beginner's class thinking that that is the thing for you, you may find the advanced class to be a different animal...

If he hides any part of the training from you, run for the hills...

If he gives you any bogus BS story about the nature of his training (being in the military you usually have this thing that can often get in the way of your training - called YOUR JOB, and deployments can be a bear too; military folks are not always the most consistent in their attendance to a martial arts school for numerous personal and professional reasons) in any of the schools or styles he lists, run for the hills...

Check it out. If you like it, then lineage and tradition be damned! Do what you like, its your time and money after all...

Sifujessie
13th September 2005, 00:11
Hello,
My name is Jessie Escobedo, if you have any questions please feel free to email me at sifujessie@comcast.net. My new website is http://home.comcast.net/~sifujessie. I have not been able to keep up with the yahoo website because of my busy schedule. As for instructors, I was in the U.S. Air Force for 4 years and 4 months. I started Chinese Kenpo Kung-fu under Sibok Odie Molina in San Antonio, Texas. Then I got transfer to Wheeler Air Force Base in Oahu, Hawaii, which I studied Kempo Karate under Johnathan Vance at Wheeler Air Force Base. After two year in Oahu, I got transfer to Colorado. In 1981, moving to the Dallas/Fort Worth area, after serving my time in the Air Force with an HONORABLE discharge, I studied Northern Shaolin Longfist under Robert Hartfield for a year in Dallas, Texas. Due to my job, I moved to Arlington, Texas. I started Ed Parker's Kenpo Karate, but due to alot of politics within the group, I left the school. At that time in 1982, I found my kung-fu instructor Sifu Joseph Chang from Taipei, Taiwan, who was a student here at University of Texas at Arlington. I was with Sifu Change for 3 years before he left back to Taiwan. I was not able to find another kung-fu school in the area like my Sifu. In 1985, I started KAJUKEMBO (KAJUKENBO) under Sifu Peralta (then 5th degree) until 1998. Due to politics, which I have no use for, I left in good terms with Professor Peralta. In 1999, I met Grand Master Angel Garcia-Soldado in Las Vegas, NV to discuss in joining him, he agreed and been with him ever since. The first time I met GM Angel Garcia-Soldado was in 1989 with two of his students from Spain, who graciously stayed at my home in Arlington, Texas. As for Sigung Fu, I consider him my teacher also, because he taught me some kung-fu forms while visiting here in Texas from Venezula. I was very honor in receiving instruction from this man, as some of you already know, chinese kung-fu masters don't really teach just anyone. If you have any questions feel free to email me or if you live in the Dallas / Fort Worth area, feel free to call me. Presently, I am teaching at Southlake, Texas.

Blackwood
13th September 2005, 01:13
Jesse,

Thanks for stopping by! Yeah, I know about the nomadic military life! I studied three styles of karate while in the Navy. And boy did it suck starting over each time!

As far as being nomadic, read some of the great master's stories. Even in Okinawa, many of the great teachers studied with many different masters. Some would go to a teacher to learn a single kata.

And don't hate me because I'm an Aggie!

MikeWilliams
13th September 2005, 10:47
Why is this in Bad Budo?

George Kohler
13th September 2005, 12:48
I'm not sure. I guess it didn't get moved over to the Baffling Budo when we added that forum. As a matter of fact, this shouldn't be in the Baffling Budo forum either. I'll move this to the lounge.

twayman
13th September 2005, 16:52
Why is this in Bad Budo?

Thanks Mike... I was wondering the same thing... I personally don't see anything misleading here, in fact Mr. Escobedo has given us his history with out even being asked, which to me says a lot for the individual. :)

Sifujessie
14th September 2005, 04:31
Thank everyone for your kind words. If a person has any doubt about a instructor, visit the school like someone said in this forum. Do some investigation on the individual and ask alot of questions. As for my school, I am not a commercialize school. If you ask me how much money it would take to get you black belt, I would respond 4 to 5 years of your life. I have been the traditional way where you earn your belts and everyday is test day. KAJUKENBO is a true self defense system, so expect bruises and a little hitting but with control in class. I LIKE TO THANK EVERYONE AND KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS. This past saturday we had a seminar and I was HONOR in having Sijo Emperado, Grand Master Angel Garcia Soldado, and Grand Master Dechi Emperado.

Aloha Ya'll,
Jessie Escobedo

MarkF
15th September 2005, 17:58
FYI,

I went through his old web site and there were no broken links or picures missing. A lot of the sites pages seem to be maintained by others.

While some of the pages hadn't been updated since 2000-2003, it was complete.

Mark