PDA

View Full Version : Ayumi-ashi, tsugi-ashi & okuri-ashi?

Paul Steadman
4th June 2001, 09:04
Hi All,

Could you all give me a description of your respective styles version/variation of the following ashi-sabaki:

1- Ayumi ashi?
2- Tsugi ashi?
3- Okuri ashi?
4- Tsuri ashi?

Regrads,

Paul Steadman

TIM BURTON
4th June 2001, 16:34
Hi Paul,
Ayumi Ashi is what we refer to as normal walking,
Tsugi Ashi refers to shuffle steps.

Okuri is a term we only use when throwing and means sweeping.
Tsuri is a term we only use when throwing and means lifting.

tommysella
6th June 2001, 07:49
Hi Tim!

I belive Okuri means more like something like sliding. Harai is sweep.

Regards,

Tommy

TIM BURTON
6th June 2001, 09:09
Hi Tommy,
You are quite right, I was thinking of Okuri ashi harai when I replied and of course its the harai thats the sweep. I only had to think of the strangle when I read your post to realise my mistake.
Thanks, I owe you a beer :toast:

Ben Reinhardt
6th June 2001, 15:16
Originally posted by Paul Steadman
Hi All,

Could you all give me a description of your respective styles version/variation of the following ashi-sabaki:

1- Ayumi ashi?
2- Tsugi ashi?
3- Okuri ashi?
4- Tsuri ashi?

Regrads,

Paul Steadman

Ayumi Ashi is normal heel to toe walking.

Tsugi Ashi means something like "following step". It is when you advance or retreat with one foot leading, the other following but not quite catching up to the lead foot.

Okuri Ashi: This can mean a sliding or "sending" step. In Judo, Okuri Ashi Barai is the only throw I know of that uses "okuri" in it.

Tsuri Ashi: You mean "suri ashi", which means a sort of sliding step, where you move on the tatami by gliding your feet across the mat rather than stepping heel to toe as in ayumi ashi. The weigh stays off the heel.

Ben Reinhardt

Paul Steadman
7th June 2001, 11:47
Thanks Guys,

I was just checking on peoples description/terminology due to the differences and mistakes that I've come across in various modern jujutsu (jiu-jitsu:burnup: ) schools.

Cheers,

Paul Steadman