PDA

View Full Version : Bujin Design Karategi

Lawrence Carroll
4th June 2001, 19:39
I am looking for a new gi, and am thinking about trying out one of Bujin Design's karategi. Does anyone have any experience with them in terms of fit, quality, customer service of company, etc...?

Thanks in advance.

John Lindsey
4th June 2001, 21:52
Funny you should ask:). I talked with the guy who runs the business side of things at their booth during the San Antonio sword show. I liked their karate gi so much, that I ordered one on the spot. It is the heavy weight, black, with the aikido "cut" sleeves that I like. The pants have an extra layer of cloth at the knees. I really like the material. Ok, it has been two weeks and I have yet to get it. I am not sure how long it is taking to make it, but I thought I would have it by now. I also sent them an email a few days ago and have not heard back yet.

All their items seem to be of high quality.

My only complaint about them is that they didn't know about E-Budo.com! :).

Lawrence Carroll
5th June 2001, 03:31
John:

Thanks for your reply, the black one you describe is exactly what I ordered, also. Since you saw it up close and personal, perhaps you can answer a question about size. I'm about 6 feet tall and 175 pounds. Eyeballing the size chart I ordered the size "large". If the comparison helps, a Shureido size 5 fits me very well.

Does it sound like I got the size right?

Thanks

John Lindsey
5th June 2001, 05:14
I am 6 foot, 220 and ordered the same size. It fit me well, but might be big on you.

Lawrence Carroll
5th June 2001, 13:58
Too small is a problem for me. Too big isn't. I'll just drink more beer until it fits.

That kind of training suits me better, anyway.

Cheeseburgers ahoy!

David T Anderson
5th June 2001, 22:17
I got a pair of gi pants and a hakama at Bujin [yes, I actually went to see them in Boulder] and I'm very happy with the quality of their work. They are no fly-by-night company either...their operation is extensive and very professional.

Kolschey
5th June 2001, 22:47
I can definitely speak well of their hakama. The one I purchased from them nearly three years ago has served me admirably with no appreciable damage, and it fits beautifully.

Hiding Crow
14th June 2001, 03:36
I would have to add my congratulations to Bujin Design on this one. I just purchased their Aiki dogi in black 12 oz. fabric, and they certainly have outdone themselves.

Some points they have improved:

1. A nice, thick waistband (I hate it when it digs in)

2. All the ties are of a synthetic cord, rather than of folded flat-sewn canvas (what this means is that if your dogi gets wet from training, then it easily unties. You don't have to "crack it" open as every other gi requires)

3. The Coolmax liner is a nice touch - this fabric has been used a lot in the outdoor industry as a quick-drying alternative to heavier fabrics -- it extends the life of the gi jacket by absorbing the moisture)

4. The fabric has a nice, brushed appearance, not unlike some of the higher-end gis (such as Tokaido and others in that league) In addition, an astute observer might notice an almost inperceptible smell out of the package -- it's been pre-treated with colour-fasting vinegar, so that means that the black stays black longer. You don't get special touches like this these days!

Bujin Design excels at everything they do. I have bought hakama, weapons, and now a dogi, and I would say without hesitation that these folks are going to give everyone a run for their money. In the age of impersonal e-com and sales gimmicks, the people at Bujin are manufacturing excellent products while maintaining a friendly and cordial relationship with its customers.

The black aiki-style gi may cost more than others, but like the saying goes "You get what you pay for!"

Hope this helps

Julian Straub
Bujinkan Kageyama Dojo
Toronto, Canada

Kyukage
26th July 2001, 02:19
Certainly no need for me to add praise here. I order from Bujin exclusively, myself. Being 6'10" tall, they are the only company that will custom make my extremely long hakama, and give me the quality I demand.

Just a few words of clarification, tho...

The reason they take so long to get the order filled is because they make (adjust, in most cases) each garment to fit the wearer. Pseudo-custom made, if you will.

I'll gladly wait for the shipment to arrive, if the quality is the trade-off for the wait.

Halapino
28th July 2001, 08:46
My Hakama is going on Ten years with out a fault. Highly recomend anything from Bujin Design.