PDA

View Full Version : Karate-gi/judo-gi = jimbei?

IchiRiKen1
5th June 2001, 00:54
Just curious, maybe someone might know...

I live in Japan, and have become rather involved with some very Japanese customs, such as wearing a set of clothing called jimbei (sp?). It is a pair of knee length short pants with a fold over/wrap around top a la karate-gi. Typically, the seams of the collar and the sleeves are stitched together with very loose mesh-like stitching, allowing for ventilation and comfort. Jimbei are typically only worn during the hotter part of the summer (or anytime by weird gaijin like me!), and you will see them often during the summer festivals (alongside beautiful women in yukata).

I was just wondering whether the training uniform we have all come to know and stain so well actually may have had its origins in jimbei ?

:karatekid

Thanks for your time!

Meik Skoss
6th June 2001, 02:34
Nope, keiko gi do not come from jimbei. Various forms of training uniforms have been used for many years and can be seen in the older illustrations and training manuals.

I've no idea when jimbei were first worn, but I suspect they are the kind of thing that is a post WWII product, when the increase in Japanese economic activity led to increased wealth and leisure time, leading to social changes in their turn, including sartorially.

Hope this helps.