PDA

View Full Version : Kano Jiu Jitsu

Simon Ford-Powell
9th June 2001, 16:08
Posted this mesage in The Ju Jutsu group and was advised to post it here also.

This is our Kano Jiu Jitsu site which has recently been updated.
There are lots of photos of techniques, many of which may be of interest to traditional Judoka, since our style (as the name implies) is based around Kano's early pre-competition Ju Jutsu.
The syllabus may be especially of interest as we do a number of Kodokan Kata along with other basic Judo/Ju Jutsu techniques.

Would appreciate any feedback, either here, privately or in the guestbook

www.kanojiujitsu.co.uk

Many thanks in advance to those who make the effort.

Simon

Duke343
9th June 2001, 19:53
You should be ashamed of yourself for involving Prof. Kano's name with your $#!+.

Duke Lewis

rsamurai
9th June 2001, 21:19
in judo's early day's didn't they what to call it kano ryu jujutsu?

MarkF
10th June 2001, 08:51
I think this is pretty nice website; simple and easy to navigate. It is judo, alright, I simply see another emphasis than what is traditional. Jiu jitsu or judo, it is Kano's whether one approves of this rendering or not. I trained at Jack Zeki's Jiujitsu dojo in the late sixties or early seventies, and all the technique was from the Kodokan syllabus, but with a heavy emphasis on the martial aspects of judo. I see this one as no different, with the exception of the age of the younger students.

I suggest you read the thread on "good reasons to do judo" and you can probably fit this in there.

The Seattle Jujutsu Club where the first Bluming Seminar was held also is simply a modification in which the term jujutsu fits. Sombo and other modifications are why the jujutsu tag fits here in much the same way as Simon's, again without the kids.

Encino Judo Dojo of the So. Calif. Nanka Yudanshakai also has a syllabus including atemiwaza, and some karate, and that is the dojo which launched the Judo Information Site.

It seems there is a small movement going on within judo itself, going back to original judo, not traditional.

Mark

Simon Ford-Powell
10th June 2001, 11:01
Thank you ,Mark for your educated remarks. Unlike those of the first responder. Firstly, don't confuse the kid's class with My style of Jiu Jitsu. The kid's class only has a few throws and almost all of the Kansetsu Waza removed for obvious reasons. It is taught by two of my students, who are also Yudansha in Kyokushinkai Karate, therefore a large part of the class is Kid's Karate. The confusion with that is the use of the name "Blaby Kanowai" - they are simply part of our network of clubs and a feeder for the senior Kanokwai. The main technique photo's and even a cursory glance at the syllabus would reveal the style to be "Combat Judo" (for want of a better phrase). My instructor was taught by James Hipkiss, the British champion in the twenties and Gunji Koizumi. We have as much right to use Kano in our title as anybody. Our self defence style is very similar to Judo when it still cared more about the Martial side and less about sport. Incidentally I am also graded to 1st dan in Judo by Martin Clarke and Bill Woods (both of whom are very well known in Judo In the UK) I wonder whether Prof Kano would refer to what we do as "£$%" or some modern competition Judo.

Thanks again for your observations, Mark

dakotajudo
10th June 2001, 19:43
I've tried to access your web site several times from two computers (both Macintosh).

I either get a message stating "Internet Explorer 4.0 or greater required" or my browser hangs up entirely.

Right now I'm posting using Omniweb in MacOS X, while the MacOS X version of Internet Explorer is choking bad on your site.

Is there something about the site that is Microsoft specific?

By the way, Explorer on my machine crashes when I type 'www.e-budo.com' into the address line.

Peter

Simon Ford-Powell
10th June 2001, 22:36
Sorry to hear that, Peter, thanks for trying.

I didn't compose the site, but yes, I believe it is dependant on MS, althouh, that said I have a friend who has accessed it on a Mac

MarkF
11th June 2001, 06:57
This is a sidenote. I don't want any credit because I had a different viewpoint of Simon's website and his version of judo, and the Kano Jiujitsu I had been exposed to (it wasn't a good experience, just my own personal baggage). Many thanks for the nice words, but Duke is a contributor to this forum, and I've learned a lot from his posts.

Judo seems to be going through menopause right now, so I would hope everyone's viewpoint is respected.

My suggestion to Duke and Simon is either to discuss here the differences you both have or discuss it through email or private messages.

Aren't both of you trying to clear the air concerning Kano's insight?

There is a saying I use when people have differing view points about pets, so usually it is "Cats are people, too." Concerning Kano, in another thread concerning the usage of *soke,* it was the Kodokan which was brought up as the only true "soke" and it was stated "if it's Kodokan, it's judo. If it is Judo, it's Kodokan."

When discussing Kano, "It's all judo."

BTW: I had a few glitches with the website, but nothing which couldn't be dealt with. I simply liked it for its content, something I think is more important than the fancy trappings of the Internet. it is content which has me bookmarking a site, not how it looks. On the other hand, I'm not a big fan of "frames" but that too can be resolved.

efb8th
12th June 2001, 15:34
Good morning, Simon. (and everyone)

After a very cursory 15-minute visit, my impression is that the photos probably do not do justice to the waza. In many instances, the techniques are obscured rather than elucidated, and it's blasted difficult to figure out what's going on in terms of posture and application.

That said, I applaud your efforts and suggest a critical review board for replacement of each photo to upgrade the "teaching value."

Please bear in mind that this, like most criticism, is worth every penny that you paid for it.

Regards,

dakotajudo
12th June 2001, 19:51
Well, I finally got to the site from my office PC (not teaching yet this summer, tells you how much I go in!).

I can't tell from the picture, is your oni kudaki similar to the Bujinkan technique of the same name?

It appears from your syllabus that you borrow a lot from Tomiki. Is this true? I've been looking to incorporate some Shodokan into the judo we practice here.

Peter

kusanku
12th June 2001, 19:56
What it's worth, I got no problem with this.What I can see, anyway.

Simon Ford-Powell
12th June 2001, 20:53
Many thanks for the replies.

with regard to the photos, these are live photo's of my 4th dan grading in 1991, so timing was difficult, but I think they're pretty good shots given the circumstances. They're not meant to be teaching photo's. With regards to Duke, I'm not sure about "clearing the air" - there was no discussion or argument in hia response, it was simple abuse. He is of course entiitled to his opinion.

Simon Ford-Powell
12th June 2001, 20:58
The comment about Tomiki - yes there is an Aiki influence in the terminology and some waza. Tomiki Aikido uses very similar terminology to our style and it is distinct from other Aikido styles. Perhaps that is due to his Judo/Jiu Jitsu background.