PDA

View Full Version : need a good translation in budo manner

Paburo
18th June 2001, 23:38
I'm doing a samurai comic book.
but i need to translate the name in japanese and i need to know wich kanji to use. i know that it may sound different in japanese language when you use it in budo fashion (maybe i'm wrong) but please i need a good translation to thid title if someone could help me please e-mail me or reply my thread.

the title is:
Independent sword
i think one way to say it is kenshiteiru or shiteiru ken.

Jeff Hamacher
19th June 2001, 02:58
hmmm ... it may depend on the exact meaning (or nuance) of "independent". if you mean "free" or "self-determining", then a word such as "jizai" might work. your title could become "Jizaiken". still, i don't know if this would be an unnatural expression in japanese. there's also "jiyuu", but if you call your comic book "Jiyuu no Ken" then it sounds a little like "The Sword of Freedom (or Liberty)". what do you think?

hope this helps, jeff hamacher

Paburo
19th June 2001, 15:20
well, this comic is about a kid who always wanted to be the best swordman in japan. Since he's from peasant family (low class) he's not able to afford on entering into a swordmanship school after their family is kill by getting caught in a battle between family clans he then decide to fled to a temple and from there he start to learn as much as he could about others people swordmanship (something like musachi). he becomes his own teacher.
what he didn't realize is that he learns every single style from every ryu around japan becoming one of the most skillfull warrior around; by knowing every strategy from his enemies.
The name independet sword means a sword who can do whatever it please since it can turn into any style or any ryu at will.
he is his own teacher and works for he's own cause.
To bring peace to japan and to become the teacher of future low class generations who are born with the spirit of a true warrior.

hope this gives you a sense of what i'm trying to do Jeff.

PS. Thanks for your time man i like what you wrote and if you get something else after you read this do not hesitaite on telling me i'm open to any sugestions.

Pablo Rosado

Jeff Hamacher
20th June 2001, 00:56
Originally posted by Paburo
The name independet sword means a sword who can do whatever it please since it can turn into any style or any ryu at will.
if that's the case, then my best suggestion would be Jizaiken. as i said before, it's probably not 100% "natural japanese", but what the heck. best of luck with the project!

cheers, jeff hamacher

Paburo
20th June 2001, 01:07
I apprettiate it jeff.
Thank you for your nice advice and thank you for everything.
i will find out if it natural japanese and go for it.
Have a good time and good luck in your life man !!!

Pablo Rosado

Paburo
20th June 2001, 03:20
jeff do you happen to have the characters for that translation??

jizaiken

i will aprettiate that one too thanks!!

P.s. i have a dictionary and i only found the characters for jiyü.