PDA

View Full Version : Jujutsu where?

Matthew Banks
20th June 2001, 12:11
Hi all,

Thanks for your help on my other thread.

I asked in the past about koryu jujutsu which have randori etc. One person talked about the style he practised which was derived from Tenshin shinyo ryu jujutsu.

The thing is....... im looking for a school of jujutsu that still has good tradition and values, but also has randori etc etc.

I guess I just really like those stories about the ''4 lords of judo etc'' and the jujutsu masters who fought against the judoka.

Does anyone have any information on jujutsu schools in Devon, England.

cheers for your help

Matt Banks

MarkF
20th June 2001, 15:32
Hi, Mat,
A search done on Google.com (http://www.google.com) would bring results by entering search ward such as "jujutsu" "Devon" "England" separated only by spaces and clicking on Google's "Google Search." If you are looking for traditional jujutsu as in koryu, your search hits may be small to nonexistent. This is where word of mouth is the best form of advertising as koryu groups tend to be small, are not generally looking for students, and you may have to sit through some hours of classes only watching, often for a few days. Then there is the odd person out, so to speak who may accept you on the keppan you give.

That said, there is nothing wrong with hooking up with the closest judo club in the BJA, or other recommended sources such as http://www.kanosociety.org if you wish to go that route. Doing judo is a geat foundation for any other jujutsu group, and in my opinion, is a great way to go for the rest of your involvement in MA.

I'm not sure where Simon Ford-Powel's dojo is, but it is somewhat of a difference in that they teach a rather unique course of judo which they call "Kano jiujitsu," and old name for Kodokan Judo. His program is different, but it may just what you seek. Check out the judo and jiu jitsu threads for contact information.

At the moment, that is what comes to mind.

Mark

Hope this helps a little. I've met a number of koryu jujutsu practitioners who have, after many years, returned to the judo mats.