PDA

View Full Version : Shorinji Kyu Tester

luar
20th June 2001, 15:33
Gassho

OK, I was very bored at work and had nothing else better to do but to write a software application that helped me test for my 3rd Kyu examination.

It is written in Perl and I have it available as a stand-alone EXE file. You can download it at:

http://www.inch.com/~raul/shorinji1.zip

Keep in mind the following...

1) I wrote this in under 30 minutes, so don't expect too much

2) It only works for kyu ranks of 1 to 3. Later editions will include testing higher gradings.

3) There is an editable file called SHORINJI.INI. This is where I store all the techniques. You can freely edit this and add your own wazas. So far I only entered for 3rd Kyu but I left room their for you to enter 2nd and 1rst.

4) I included the source code. Feel free to modify it.

5) As is the case with all downloadable software, you should run it through some type of anti-virus utility. I can assure you that I do not write any kind of malicious software of any kind but that doesn't mean it cannot be unknowingly infected.

6) Type shorinji.exe for further directions.

Enjoy

luar
20th June 2001, 16:13
Oops... I fixed a bug so download it again.

While I am here, some of you maybe familiar with the animated moves at http://homepage1.nifty.com/shorinji/engindex.htm.

A while ago I contacted the author and asked him if he could come up with a testing tool using his animation and if he couldn't do it, I asked for permission to see if I can create such a web application that linked each waza to his animations.

I was told that something like that was in the works but he'll get it to it whenever he has the chance.

It would be interesting.

Anders Pettersson
25th June 2001, 08:14
Hi Raul.

I downloaded your program but can't get it to work.

Does one need any other special software for it to work?

Julien
25th June 2001, 08:55
Hello gentlemen,

I just ran it through a DOS command window in Windows, and everything workend fine :-)
Don't forget to entenr the parameters when you launch the program.

Anders Pettersson
25th June 2001, 09:14
I get a DOS window to open when I start the program, it just opens quickly and then it closes, nothing happens??? :confused:

Is there some setting that I have missed? or am I just stupid? (I think I know some about computers but defintely not everything. :cry:

Julien
25th June 2001, 12:52
Anders,

I have the same behaviour when I open the program by double clicking on its icon. Just open a DOS window and change the directory to be the one that contains the program. then type "shorinji.exe <grade>" <grade> being a parameter between 1 and 3.

I think that's about all :-)

Gassho.

luar
25th June 2001, 14:38
Gassho Friends

My apologies to everyone about not giving clear directions how to use this. I manage development projects for a living and here I am releasing personal software without following my own standards - how unprofessional.

I updated the application because I noticed that it was not displaying the usage directions, so please download it again.

This is a DOS application and you should create a folder and download the ZIP file into that folder and extract everything. You should then go into DOS command line and set your default to that folder and invoke SHORINJI.EXE. This can be runned on Linux as long as you have the proper library modules listed in the source code which I provided. This will not work on a Macintosh (more apologies to this crowd).

Here is the usage that should be displayed when you simply enter SHORINJI without any paramters

Usage: shorinji -n -s [kyu]

Required Parameters:
[kyu] - enter 1, 2 or 3. Dan testing is not ready for this version

Options:
-n[um] - number of movements to display. Default is all
-s[eq] - display in sequential order. Random is default.

Examples:
shorinji 3 - (Display all random wazas for 3rd kyu)
shorinji -n=10 2 - (Display 10 random wazas for 2nd kyu)
shorinji -num=25 -seq 1 - (Display 25 wazas in sequential order for 1rst kyu)

Edit the file SHORINJI.INI if you wish to customize wazas. Note that the random number generator will repeat wazas. It makes things interesting.

Final note: I wrote this in 30 minutes so don't expect too much. I will update it properly when I get the chance (hopefully a web application)