PDA

View Full Version : iado-iajutsu

bluebar
4th July 2000, 08:36
I know next to nothing about the Japanese arts - most of my time's been in the Chinese arts, but I'm very interested in Japanese swordsmanship. Do any of you know any good teachers/schools in the Los Angeles - Ontario - San Bernardino CA area?

Frank Mosca

Justin Campbell
4th July 2000, 17:30
OK ... you named a large area of California. Where are you located? I am new to E-Budo... and I know very little about this group (perhaps we will both get an education here) but the Shinkendo (under T. Obata) is in Los Angeles. The contact information is:
Toshishiro Obata - Chief Instructor
1643 N. Highland Ave, Los Angeles CA 90028 USA
PHONE (323) 463-3771

Hope this helps. Also, anyone out there with info. on this group, please feel free to reply.

Best of Luck!

bluebar
4th July 2000, 20:52
Thanks for the info. I'm actually right next to Ontario, CA - but I listed the two major cities about 35 min from me both east and west (well, that's 35 minutes without the rush hour traffic - when it sometimes goes to 98-120 min.) That's about the distance I figure I'd realistically be able to handle on a regular basis if I can find an instructor.

Frank Mosca

ghp
5th July 2000, 19:11
Frank,

[(well, that's 35 minutes without the rush hour traffic - when it sometimes goes to 98-120 min.) That's about the distance I figure I'd realistically be able to handle on a regular basis if I can find an instructor.[/quote]

I used to travel from Ft. Irwin to Mr. Obata's dojo -- twice per week. Ontario is no problem -- you can do it.

Regards,
Guy

bluebar
5th July 2000, 23:11
Wow, Guy! You're a stronger and braver man than I. (And I say that in all sincerity, Frank)

Tim Atkinson
12th July 2000, 06:30
I was resently in Los Angles and had the good fortune to visit the Obata dojo to watch a Shinkendo lesson. Obata is a very strong swordman and his students were of a high level of understanding. A very small dojo though, but then from what I have been told that is common of dojo in Japan. I was two days late in being able to view a tamashigri lesson though, my lose.

All the best, do yourself a favour and go and watch a lesson or two before you jump right in, that goes for any new art or dojo. But having said that, I will be looking into the Sydney Shinkendo dojo soon.

[Edited by Tim Atkinson on 07-12-2000 at 06:10 PM]