PDA

View Full Version : Yokoyama & Oshima's JUDO (1915)

efb8th
25th June 2001, 06:09
Hi, Everyone!

Thanks to Mark for his permission and indulgence in letting me post this borderline blatent advertisement.

I have acquired an excellent copy of Sakujiro Yokoyama's JUDO, an exceptional translation of JUDO KYOHAN (Yokoyama, 1906) into English.

I quote from the author's preface:"The principles set forth in this book are those of Mr. Kano, the founder of, and instructor at, the Kodokwan, and at our request he has kindly revised our copy and given us very valuable suggestions. We are very glad he has so honored us, and we express our hearty thanks to him for his help."

This is a genuine treasure trove of information, both factual and philosophical, from one of the most accomplished and articulate Judoka ever to emerge from the Kodokan. It contains about 100 excellent black and white photos which benefitted greatly from the magnification provided by scanning into a PDF file. This is a true photo scan reproduction, readable with Adobe Acrobat Reader (available on-line for free).

And if I ever want to stop sleeping on the living room couch, I better try to recoup at least some of the investment this project required (new computer system with scanner, platinum-coated Adobe Acrobat software, $200 text, etc.)

I am selling the CD for $20. Please contact me at efb8th@inreach.com if you have any questions, or send $20 cash (concealed) or money order for fastest service, or check if you don't mind waiting a little longer to:

Ed Burgess, 5319 North Avenue, Carmichael, CA 95608

Orders will be filled in the order they are received, with the exception of personal checks, which must clear.

Thanks,

Ed Burgess

PS: I already posted the above in John's forum at the bottom of the page, but I thought you would like to see it on the Judo page too. The photos of Yama Arashi, Hikkomi Gaeshi, and Seoi Otoshi (with obi grip) are such great illustrations and so well explained that even I can understand them! After reading the book from cover to cover, I can truthfully say that it is the finest and most authoritative Judo text I have ever come across, and the translation has no flaws or confusion that I can find.

Thanks again,

MarkF
25th June 2001, 08:38
Hi, Folks,
The reason this post is here is that John Lindsey, the administrator of the site gave his permission to Ed Burgess to post this non-commercial post concerning a job he not only sweated thru, but actually had to buy new computer hardware (including another computer), and he is asking for an amount which is small revestiture of his efforts and partial expenses.

As you know, this book goes for some big bucks on the auction sites when one does become available.

Since Ed is one of the people I know with a wealth of judo/jujutsu knowledge, you really should spend the twenty and find out for yourself.

I plan to buy this in July, when I get some money in my bank account at the beginning of the month.

For those who consider this "blatant" commericial advertising, it isn't and falls well within the scope of the rules and is a single non-Spam item. Ed simply is trying to, at the least, cover partial expenses with this e-book.

Those who have the book or have looked through it, know of its value, and is worth it. It can be printed out in that special way Kinko's and others have of inexpensively making an inexpensive book from it.

Please give it consideration.

Sincerely,

Mark "Who never bought enough books in the sixties and seventies because there is always tomorrow" Feigenbaum.

MarkF
25th June 2001, 08:45
Sorry for the second response here, kids, but just so you know the complete story, I am "sticking" this post for a few days so everyone has a chance to read it. In other words, no matter the response to this post, it stays at the top for a while.

I will consider any other such requests as this one, providing there is agreement with John.:idea:

Mark

MarkF
11th July 2001, 10:34
Hopefully, this thread served its purpose and some have their copies of this great book.

I stuck it here to give y'all time to whine about reasons you had for not buying the real thing, and since I know the effort which went into this, I've made note to get mine.

I'm just whining that I haven't got around to it, until now, but the post will still be here and will fall with the rest of the threads now.

Mark :toast:

jimmy o'curry
17th July 2001, 23:00
sounds good! is there a time limit on this book offer?

jeff slade

efb8th
18th July 2001, 05:42
Hi, Jeff.

I can send you a copy any time, but the sooner the better for me, as I am about 25% of the way to covering break-even. Get the order in at your convenience, though. Thanks for the interest.

Regards,

jimmy o'curry
25th July 2001, 01:50
thank you for the quick reply.

jeff slade

efb8th
13th August 2001, 22:42
In Case you'd like an original...

1. Yokoyama, Sakujiro ; Horiguchi, Yamakichi (trans) Judo
Nishido, 1915 First Edition. 12mo - over 6¾" - 7¾" tall. (folding frontis) 297p (1p) Green-black cloth binding Black titles, rules front cloth, gilt titles spine Blind-stamped device back board Slight rubbing extremities Very light browning EPs VG - Near Fine A scarce early treatise on the art of judo, with many illustrations and drawings . Bookseller Inventory # 005178
Price: NZ$ 400.00 (approx. US$ 170.09) convert currency
Presented by Vintage Books of Dunedin, Dunedin, New Zealand
order options

Email: vintagebooks@xtra.co.nz

Good Luck!!

efb8th
25th August 2001, 14:42
Good morning!

Some bookseller is catching on to the rarity of this text.

Interesting to see, but I would really have to be impressed with one of these (quality-wise) to pay $595.

But you never know. www.alibris.com

Good Hunting,

efb8th
27th September 2001, 13:28
Hi, everybody.

This is just a note of thanks to let you know I pretty much covered my costs, and I am about to shut down the "Publishing business." If anyone wants a copy, but has been sitting on the fence, it is time to act.

Thanks again for "getting me off the couch."

Regards,