PDA

View Full Version : Study in Japanese Universities

DJM
26th June 2001, 00:37
Hi. I'm not entirely sure this is the apropriate place for this question - but there doesn't seem anywhere better..
A friend of mine, from my Aikido Dojo, is going out to Japan in September on a year's visa in order to study Aikido. He's very keen, however, to stay longer than a year. To which end he's considering going to university out in Japan (he's 21 and has GCSEs and A-Levels - In the UK so that means full time education up to 18). I was wondering if anyone has experience applying for university places in Japan, and what the fee/scholarship situation is like..?
I'd be very grateful for any information people can provide..
Regards,
David

P Goldsbury
8th July 2001, 04:39
Originally posted by DJM
Hi. I'm not entirely sure this is the apropriate place for this question - but there doesn't seem anywhere better..
A friend of mine, from my Aikido Dojo, is going out to Japan in September on a year's visa in order to study Aikido. He's very keen, however, to stay longer than a year. To which end he's considering going to university out in Japan (he's 21 and has GCSEs and A-Levels - In the UK so that means full time education up to 18). I was wondering if anyone has experience applying for university places in Japan, and what the fee/scholarship situation is like..?
I'd be very grateful for any information people can provide..
Regards,
David

There are several ways in which one could enter university in Japan, but all are quite difficult. National universities (of which Hiroshima University is one) require undergraduate applicants to take the common entrance test, passing which requires almost native proficiency in Japanese. Private universities have varying admission requirements, but the fees are very high. There is little in the way of scholarship support and Monbukagakusho scholarships have to be applied for in the home country.

Another ppssibility is to do a year abroad as a student. Hiroshima University, for example, has agreements with about 100 universities throughout the world, including Sussex and Leeds Metropolitan in the UK. There are no additional requirements to speak of and credits gained here count towards the final degree.

For postgraduate study, there is no necessity to take the common entrance test, but some knowledge of Japanese is required, depending on the desired course of study. However, an undergraduate degree is a necessary condition.

Finally, there is the kenkyusei system. I have had several students over the years who came to Japan on the JET programme and wanted to stay. Since their Japanese was not up to doing a postgraduate degree, they became kenkyusei. The fees are relatively low and all that is required is to have had a set number of years in fulltime education and to pursue a programme of study under a member of the university faculty. Kenkyusei can also do part-time jobs (and this is usually necessary). In fact the kenkyusei system is often used as a springboard for a regular postgraduate degree. My own graduate school is slightly different, since it is aimed at Japanese students in regular employment, but we are now trying to find ways of giving it a more international flavour by attracting foreign students.

Hope all this helps.

Peter Goldsbury,
pagolds@hiroshima-u.ac.jp
www.hiroshima-u.ac.jp

PS. Mr Rousselot,
I also ride motobikes and have just acquired a MAGNI. Are you familiar with this name? I have a GIAPPONE 52 and it goes like a rocket.

leoboiko
14th July 2001, 01:07
Is there some kind of Japanese culture/tradition/history faculty with some kind of course or program for foreigners?

Jody Holeton
14th July 2001, 03:24
Dear all,

For all of those looking to study at a college in Japan there are lots of choices!

There is the Japan Center for Michigan Universities
Waseda University offers special programs to foreigners
and I hear also Kyoto University.

I would recommend that you try JCMU first and then have them recommend a college for you.

Good luck--Jody

MarkF
14th July 2001, 09:40
This has nothing to do with the thread, but an unusual request from a moderator.

Leonardo,
While most hate to read signatures or usernames in all caps, some of us are unable to read the size five font (I know, it is probably a seven, but for me, I have to face upwards, look down, while getting very close to the screen to read your name (Presbyopia is a royal pain).

If you like, leave your name as is, but perhaps simply writing in a similar nickname for Leonardo such as Leo (not in place of your sig, but to accompany it), it would be a help. Some of us are fifty and older, while the new entries into middle age (forty?) are beginning the bi-annual (now annual for some) trips to the eye doctor so as to read without the nagging headaches which come with strain.

Please excuse the rather long note concerning this personal problem of mine, and it is only personl as there is no rule on which size font one must use for the sig, I implore you to not be so cruel.:burnup::cry:

But thank you for signing your posts, anyway.

Mark

Yamantaka
14th July 2001, 22:23
Originally posted by leoboiko
Is there some kind of Japanese culture/tradition/history faculty with some kind of course or program for foreigners?

YAMANTAKA : Hello, Leonardo! Glad to have you here!:wave:
(That's another brazilian : first this list and then the World! ) :smokin:

Consult these sites :
www.aiej.or.jp
or
www.between.ne.jp/sij
You'll get all the information you want.
Good Luck