PDA

View Full Version : etiquette of injury

charlesl2
26th June 2001, 03:01
This is probably not jo specific, but since that's pretty much all I train in right now, so thought it might be applicable.

And possibly it's another "ask your sensei" question, but I'm feeling a little touchy about asking him just yet (I bonked him a couple weeks ago).

So here goes:

Every once in a while, one of us will whack, stab or bonk a training partner. To me it seems somewhat inevitable. My movements aren't perfect, never will be, and I try my best to attack with resolve, while at the same time using a degree of control.

But it doesn't always work out. I don't draw my bokken fast enough to parry, or my partner breaks into a different kata suddenly without realizing it, somebody slips (we train outside, sometimes it rains), etc.

So what would be the etiquette in such a situation (assuming your not too busy calling an ambulance)? What would be appropriate in Japan? Is there any formal apology or indication of regret that a person would express? Does it vary from martial group to martial group?

-Charles Lockhart

John Lindsey
26th June 2001, 05:07
It might differ based on who hits who. If it is a senior who hit a junior, maybe something like "daijobu?" "Sumimasen" might be a response from a junior to a senior. If the Sensei hits you, then he will say: "Did you sign your waiver?"

Seriously, it is a good question. Another question is at what point in the kata/training do you say this? At the end or immediately after it happens. I have seen both.

Jeff Hamacher
26th June 2001, 07:49
Originally posted by charlesl2
So what would be the etiquette in such a situation (assuming you're not too busy calling an ambulance)? What would be appropriate in Japan?
in my dojo people tend to apologize on the spot as well as at the end of the kata, and they keep it brief and simple. the expressions range from "gomen nasai" to "sumimasen" to "shitsurei shimashita", but they all basically express "i'm sorry". we only do this when we cause pain that falls beyond the normal range of the given waza. i don't know if this is the rule at other dojo in japan, or outside of japan for that matter, but it seems to work for us.

hope this helps, jeff hamacher

29th June 2001, 08:13
If you hit someone by mistake an instant appology is the norm.

I heard one horror story a few weeks ago where an aggressive student damaged his partners knee with a ganseki-ori (throw with knee lock/trip). The guy who sustained the injury is a very nice person and showed no bad feelings against his partner even though he has undergone surgeory on his knee. His partner however didn't even say sorry once. This is sad and I hope one day the aggressive guy corrects his ways. Maybe natural law will cause him to loose interest and leave.
My point here is that the instructor must be aware of these type of people and deal with them in the correct way to prevent such a situation.

best wishes,

Tonkotsu Ramen