PDA

View Full Version : Taura Muso Ryu jujutsu / jojutsu

Nuutti Kotivuori
26th June 2001, 04:53
I would like to get more information about an art called

Taura Muso ryu

It originates from the Satsuma region - and is said to derive influence from Jigen ryu and Kasumi ryu ninjutsu.

The first headmaster was Inoue Hachirouemon around year 1700. The art was called simply Muso ryu at that point. The style almost perished when the current headmaster was unable to pursue his fathers style, but was later on reconstructed by him from different sources and named Taura Muso ryu. The style is currently practiced Sapporo, Hokkaido in Japan.

I am looking for more information about the art. Especially I'm interested in it's relation to other Japanese jujutsu and it's possible connections with Okinawan arts or China.

Thanks in advance

Neil Hawkins
29th June 2001, 14:34
Nuutti

Welcome to E-budo.

Sorry but I have no knowledge of the art, perhaps if the links to Ninjutsu are strong, the guys down in Ninpo-land will have some information. Or perhaps if you provide us with a bit more data, we might be able to track down some history.

I did a Google search and the only references came from Finland. My Finnish is not what it should be, so I can't decipher what info is on the web, but it would be a good place to start. Another would be Robert Rienbergers Forum at http://pub32.ezboard.com/bbudoforum, he's based in Austria, but a lot of European Jujutsuans' participate in the board, and some may be able to help you.

Regards

Neil

Jari Virta
4th October 2001, 08:16
Originally posted by Nuutti Kotivuori
I would like to get more information about an art called

Taura Muso ryu

It originates from the Satsuma region - and is said to derive influence from Jigen ryu and Kasumi ryu ninjutsu.

Hi there, I guess you can speak finnish. There is a finnish book "Bu - Samurain ammatti" that has a line or two about TMR. But it's not much I'm afraid. :(

Stevo
4th October 2001, 14:00
Hi. There are several references to Taura Muso ryu listed under Alta Vista. It's worth a look. I tried a few, but I couldn't read Finnish, Danish or Swedish!

Good luck.

Mark Tankosich
5th October 2001, 04:28
Mr. Kotivuori

I recently translated into English a rather lengthy summary of the history and techniques of this style for the current headmaster, Ikubo Sensei. I myself did karate under Ikubo Sensei about 15 years ago, but have maintained a relationship with him, and thus was asked to do the translation. I am NOT a practioneer of TMR, so there may be some "shaky" parts to the translation, but if you'd like a copy I'll gladly e-mail it to you. I'll say upfront, though, it doesn't really contain the kind of info you say you want.

Depending on how serious you are about this, you could also directly contact Ikubo Sensei, who is a wonderful "samurai" gentleman who is usually very happy to help. He speaks NO English, though...

Anyway, let me know,

Mark