PDA

View Full Version : Scrambled kanji

Gil Gillespie
26th June 2001, 05:59
This is an "off-topic" help request. A few weeks back our ISP (CyberGate) was "acquired" by earthlink. In our forced change, I lost my email address (it was taken) and we had to upgrade from Internet Explorer 4.0 to 5.0. A weird result of this is that several of my (japanese) wife's Japanese websites are now hopelessly scrambled, i.e. the kanji are there, but they are gobbledegook, illegible. We went back to 4.0 & everything was OK. But to get our new email program we had to reinstall 5.0. The scrambling has reappeared & remained.

What up?

Four protracted frustrating phone calls with tech support have solved nothing. Email tech support said we could manually eliminate 5.0 through a convoluted 4-step procedure each involving over 30 clicks, but then we'd lose our address book, email files, and web favorites.

Do any of you know what's going on in language a computer toddler (that would be me) can understand?

Thanks for all your prior patience and help.

Mike Collins
30th June 2001, 20:04
Hi Gil,

I use IE5.something,and found the following on the help menu:

To correctly display Web pages encoded in any language

Most Web pages contain information that tells the browser what language encoding (the language and character set) to use.

If the page does not include that information, and you have the Language Encoding Auto-Select feature on, Internet Explorer can usually determine the appropriate language encoding.

To turn Auto-Select on

On the View menu in Internet Explorer, point to Encoding, and then make sure Auto-Select has a check mark. If it doesn't, click it.
If you are prompted to download language support components, click Download.

If Auto-Select cannot determine the correct language encoding, and you know what language encoding it should be, you can manually select it.

To select the language encoding for a Web page

On the View menu, point to Encoding, point to More, and then click the appropriate language.
If you are prompted to download language support components, click Download.

Notes

If the Auto-Select feature or a specific language pack is not installed on your computer, Internet Explorer prompts you to download the files as needed.
Adding languages does not guarantee that your computer has a font that can display Web pages in your preferred languages. To be prompted when fonts need to be added, click the Tools menu, click Internet Options, click the Advanced tab, and then select the Enable Install On Demand check box. Or you can download a Multilanguage support pack to display pages in this language.
You can add a Language Encoding button to your toolbar to make switching between languages quicker.

I hope that helps

Gil Gillespie
6th July 2001, 04:48
Hey Mike

IT WORKED! Many thanks.
Go shinsetsu-ni arigato gozaimas'. (You're very kind/ I really appreciate it.) Casual readers take note of Mike's post above. You may want it as an ace up your sleeve.
And fie upon those legions of tech support dweebs!

MarkF
6th July 2001, 08:24
The tech dweebs probably are as in the dark as anyone. Ever get one who is rattling through papers and then says "Well, it says here..." And this we pay for?

Mark

PS: I just updated to I.E. 5.5 and a lot of problems have been solved. Windows is faster now, too.-mf.