PDA

View Full Version : conditioning and injuries

Bridger Dyson-Smith
26th June 2001, 16:47
Here comes the Newbie, part II

Greetings judoka,

I have a couple of brief questions, if I could read your thoughts on these, I would be quite appreciative. Here goes...

1. I twisted my back working seio nage (shoulder throws, sorry if that's misspelled) with a shorter uke. Since then (it happened quite a while ago, I'm ashamed to admit), I've avoided going to practice for fear of aggravating the injury. I've seen my kinesiologist, and have started to jog and swim, both of which seem to help loosen it up. I'm curious if you would recommend damning the torpedoes, and getting back to class. I'm missing practice pretty badly, but I'm chicken about tweaking my back any more (my insurance sucks, so almost all my medical bills are out of pocket).

2. Could you recommend some conditioning exercises that might help my anerobic capacity, especially upper body? I been a cyclist/runner for a few years, so my lower body and aerobic capacity are in fair shape (for someone who works a desk job...but that's another complaint). I do pushups, situps, crunches and pullups...but still find that I'm lacking a little something. I have an easier time implementing activities that don't involve weights, so I haven't picked up a copy of Draeger's weightlifting book.

Again, any and all input will be wonderful. Thanks very much for your help.

:smilejapa

Bridger

Stephenjudoka
26th June 2001, 18:33
I can not help with your injury but I may be able to help with building your upper body for Judo.
Many years ago we would get inner tubes from cycle tyres, put them around a post and used them to practice our pulling and throwing. This had the added benefit of building our strength and speed.

Since that date Dyno bands have been invented and they can be adapted to use in the same way as the inner tubes.
I have seen one judoka who has put judogi sleeves on to his dyno bands so he gets the correct pull.

I also use a machine made by Concept called a Dyno Strength Test Machine. The machine allows you to push and pull. One part is made for pushing and the other end is made for pulling.
It is very good for building up upper body strength. It works on air resistance.

Hope this helps.

Stephen Sweetlove
The older I get the better I was.

stir
26th June 2001, 20:24
bridger,

A simple technique i use to help strengthen my back is the following..

lie on your stomach with your legs and arms ourstretched.. (you have now formed an "X" with your body) alternate extending one arm and the opposite leg off the ground ( ie left arm, right leg) and hold for 5 seconds, then switch to the other arm and leg.. you should feel the lower back muscles being worked slightly as well as a nice stretch in your shoulders and legs..

The crunches you are doing should be quite effective also, as abs grow, they push against your spine thus providing it with more protection and stability.

Regards

dakotajudo
26th June 2001, 23:50
I was a cross-country runner before I started judo, and when I first moved back to South Dakota I coached cross-country for about 5 years before starting up with judo again.

If you've been a runner/cyclist for any length of time, you've may have tight hamstrings, which probably contributed to straining your back. ttribute to my years as a distance runner.

I've found I can only run about 3 days a week before the running screws up my judo. My biggest problem is stiffness in my legs, hips and back.

I do a Pilates class once or twice a week, it seems to help both with ab strength and flexibility. (The exercise stir posted is included in the workout).

I also put up a page with some drills I worked on when I wasn't doing judo - they're under the Solo Drills link on my home page

http://homepage.mac.com/dakotajudo/

I'd be interested if you find them useful.

Peter

MarkF
27th June 2001, 12:40
Quit feeling sorry for yourself and go back to training.:)

Seriously, there are ways to avoid more injury (try to use the other side when doing seoinage or other shoulder loading throws), and I can tell you from experience, you are not the first to injure oneself by trying shoulder throws on smaller people. I'm one of the short ones.

When in the dojo again in the same predicament, lower your body, even to the point of one knee or both knees. It is still seoinage if you are lifting and loading, but becomes seoiotoshi (drop throw) if you guide uke down and over your shoulder instead of loading him/her and lifting. This may be the throw you need in your arsenal to avoid the injury.

The only way to trust the horse again is to get right back on it. You've let it go long enough so try it again. Be careful, and advise your teacher of your fears. s/he can help a lot.

Mark

Bridger Dyson-Smith
27th June 2001, 19:10
Gentlemen,

Thanks very much for the kind advice.

Mr. Claussen, you're right on the money, I do have tight hams. I'm printing off your information and will start including these in my regular exercise. One question, you mention "active toes" for the hip sits, do you mean seiza up on my toes, or in other words, without my feet flat under my hips?

Mark, my grandfather has given me similar thoughts...on riding horses, of all things. After I was thrown off for the second time, he grinned a bit, and said, "Well, I guess we should call it a day." I couldn't help but agree.

Thanks again everyone,

Bridger

WanderingMonk
27th June 2001, 20:04
For help with both conditioning and injuries, go to Matt Furey (http://www.mattfurey.com). I have his combat conditioning book, and my strength, flexibility, and lower back problems have been fixed ever since I received it about two months ago. It is mainly calisthenics, but he has other equipment. Check it out.

dakotajudo
27th June 2001, 20:24
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bridger Dyson-Smith

Mr. Claussen, you're right on the money, I do have tight hams. I'm printing off your information and will start including these in my regular exercise. One question, you mention "active toes" for the hip sits, do you mean seiza up on my toes, or in other words, without my feet flat under my hips?
[QUOTE]

Actually, thinking some more, I don't know if it really matters, as long as you end up supporting part of your weight on the toes of the foot you're not extending. (Make sense?).

That foot should be your pivot point. I do it that way to get a better twist in my torso.

Let me know if the exercises help. They're just some exercises I did for myself, and sometimes use with students.

You can find similar exercises in Ishikawa and Draeger's "Judo Training Methods".

Peter