PDA

View Full Version : Grandmaster Soto/ daitoryu.com challenge

M.C. Busman
4th July 2000, 19:21
Ahh, it's good to be back home again! In honour of the holiday, I thought I'd share my old Soto files with you all (they're good for long bathroom reading sessions--you can use 'em when you're done:) ). BTW, if anyone wants a copy of the "fake photo" in question, e-mail me your address. It is funny.

In hindsight though, perhaps I should be more compassionate. To be honest, I don't think Soto knows how much he is embarrassing himself by making public his vast ignorance, which suggests to me that something in his head may not be quite right. I have met Soto, and he does seem to tend to "go fast" and have a temper. Unfortunately, this jerk lives in my hometown and has been able to sucker a few students into hanging on his every word. He even tried to con some not-too-smart local instructors into claiming that they had been in this imaginary "kumite" with him! Thanks to...some other jerk living in San Diego, that has stopped when these other instructors received something about Soto's real history in the mail. Well, it's all here. Decide for yourselves.

Happy Independance Day!
M.C. Busman
mc_busman@my-Deja.com
"Don't hate me because I'm surly!"

-----------
-----------

COMMENTS ON SOTO-OLOGY I

M.C. Busman
Date: 7/17/99

Comments
Below are some quotes taken from Soto's website, maintained by Reyes. There are some reasonable questions in relation to some of the quotes--anyone who can answer the questions honestly is invited to do so. Feel free to access Soto's site at http://members.xoom.com/mastersoto.com --I'm sure if that's wrong, Reyes will correct it. Do note the lousy cut and paste job of Soto and some Japanese guy he claims was his sensei who promoted him to 10th dan. I do have to wonder what level of culpability Reyes has in helping manufacture the picture, since he seems to defend Soto all across the web, to the point of fabricating the names of non-existant people to "vouch" for Soto. Here goes;

Soto wrote: "Soke Dr. Grandmaster I. Soto 8-Time World Kumite Undisputed Champion"

Comment: What is Soto a "Dr." of? From which University did he graduate? And. . .surprise, surprise, I dispute the claim below the title. See below. . .

Soto wrote: "Soke Dr. Grandmaster I. Soto 10th Degree Black Belt with Cover Red is The Founder of the present system of Atemi Aiki-Jujitsu and The Founder of the present system of Atemi Cobra-Jujitsu Te."

Comment: Which appears to be a modern, eclectic style. Nothing wrong with that.

Soto Wrote: "Soke Professor Grandmaster Irving Soto was born in the Bronx, New York in 1954. His parents moved to Brooklyn, New York in 1956."

Comment: Professor? Where was his academic learning completed--or what martial arts body awarded him this title?

Soto wrote: "One day his mother took him to the Laundromat to do her laundry, there was this Oriental man called Tashioshi which he owned and operated the Laundromat. In the Laundromat he operated he taught free classes in the back--which he taught only certain kids in the neighborhood; and the classes later on were called Jiu-Jitsu."

Comment: You really expect us to believe -that-?!! Do you have anything which might suggest this person even existed? What was Tashioshi's last name, and why did he go informally by his first (Tashioshi is a Japanese first name--do Soto's students call him Irving (or Irv, maybe)? Not to mention the dangers of letting some strange guy take your kid to the back of the laundromat in this day & age...

Soto wrote: "While his mother traveled back and forth from Brooklyn to Chinatown working, she used to leave her son with a Chinese man who he later found out to be a Shaolin Monk which he taught Kung Fu. Later on growing and respecting him calling him his stepfather."

Comment: Okay. And his name was. . .? His school was located at. . .?

Soto wrote: "While growing up, he had a thirst for learning the martial arts and he wanted to have extensive knowledge of the martial arts science. He studied them simultaneously to further his knowledge of the martial arts science. In 1968, at age 14, Tashioshi took the young Grandmaster Soto to Japan with other students where he became Kata Champion and Fighting Champion, and Weapons Champion.

Comment: Does Soto have ~anything~ to corroborate this--passport, photos which clearly show Japanese landmarks, press releases? Hate to tell ya, Reyes, but the Japanese didn't hold "forms fighting and weapons" tournaments back in 1968--that was a uniquely American thing, and we didn't even have that for jujutsu stylists back then! But show me otherwise, and I am willing to change my mind. BTW, any photos or records regarding Tashioshi or the mysterious monk yet?

Soto wrote: "When Tashioshi moved away from the neighborhood, Grandmaster Soto continued his studies with his stepfather in Kung Fu. At the age of 16 he was already a Sifu in Kung Fu. He continued to further his studies in Jiu-Jitsu with the late Grandmaster Charlie Sparrow and Grandmaster Rudy Jones, and Master Ellis Evans."

Comments: Well, Soto names some (3) real teachers--He gets credit for that. Too bad he doen't respect them by putting their pictures on his wall.

Soto wrote: "These were trying times for the young master because there were many street thugs, gangs, rapists, murderers, and con artists in the neighborhood called Brownsville. They challenged him numerous times, but failed to defeat him. These encounters served to be the training grounds for the future World Champion."

Comment: So Soto was ~never~ injured or beaten once in a streetfight? Hey, he's got it over 100% of the rest of New York! Maybe this guy -is- superman! About the con man part though. . .

Soto Wrote: "In 1972, he fought and won the Full-Contact Bare Knuckle Championship in Japan--becoming Bare Knuckle Champion of Japan."

Comment: EEee EEee EEee--Bull Patrol, Bull Patrol! Reyes, you need to prove this if you expect anyone to believe it. Exactly what Bare Knuckle Championship, presided over by what organization or master teacher? And Why has nobody heard about it until Soto started trying to gain publicity by making these stories up? C'mon. Gimme a reference, just one magazine or newspaper, that corroborates any of this.That is not an unreasonable thing for me to request.

Soto Wrote: "As a result of winning the Full-Contact Bare Knuckle Championship 5-times, he was invited to fight in the ultimate full-contact, anything goes, championship called the International Kumite. This is not a point tournament fight. The International Kumite is the exclusive full-contact fight, everything goes open only to family members. Only the best of the best in the world were able to compete by invitation only. The first time he won the Full-Contact, anything goes, Kumite was in 1973. He competed and won a total of 8 times consecutively becoming 8-Time Consecutive World Kumite Undisputed Champion."

Comment: Syntax here a bit tough to understand, but I think I get the Gist. See "Bull Patrol" above. Please Reyes, name one legit person who isn't a student or a hanger-onner (buddy) of Irving's who "witnessed" this event! Was Joe Lewis there? Chuck Norris? Bill Wallace? Anyone? Just one verifiable media reference from those ancient days might sway my mind. But in these days, when people know what all-out (NHB) fights are really like, and videos & records of NHB fights are redily available and verifiable (as were U.S. & Japanese tournament records of the 60's & 70's) I don't think you'll find too many folks who will simply take your word or Soto's if you can't show us da proof!

Soto wrote: "While travelling back and forth from Japan and the USA in the early 1970s, the young Master Soto was able to find the humble dojo of the Great Grandmaster K. Yamamoto of Samurai Aiki-Jujitsu out of the Clan of Tansuki Tanaka Samurai family."

Comment: This family simply never existed. Unless of course, Soto knows something that the authors of the (Japanese language) Budo Encyclopedia don't. As for "Yamamoto"--What was his full name? And how about the names of some other students who studied with Soto over there? Additionally, if he was in Japan for over a month, he would need a special status temporary residency visa in addition to his US passport. This would be on record with the Japanese gov't. Well?

Soto Wrote: "Out of 1000 applicants to Grandmaster K. Yamamoto’s humble dojo, only 10 were selected. Out of those 10 only one was Gaijin or "Non-Japanese." Being a foreigner meant he had to try at least twice as hard as his Japanese classmates did. This was a challenge that the young Master Soto accepted. He converted this challenge to being a great student in the martial arts to become one of the best. He did accomplish that, but not before some very difficult and trying times."

Comment: Sorry Reyes--sounds like a bad rip off on "The Octagon". Gai-jin, by the way, means "outside person" and not "non-Japanese". Just who were the other 9 students--Soto must keep in touch with his teachers family, or some of his former classmates that I could contact to verify. . .? Why aren't there any ~real~ photos of Soto & Yamamoto (the cut-n-paste one on his website is obviously fake) on the website, and why can't Soto remember the full name of his teacher? In true traditional Budo Ryu-Ha (orthodox schools), scrolls are given to qualified trainees and successors--which include the teacher (transmitor's)'s full name. Does Soto have one? Since he lived in Japan for a while, can he speak Japanese? He sure can't read or write it!

Soto Wrote: "World Champion Soke Grandmaster Soto with his championship belts, championship trophies, and hundreds of other trophies and plaques which you cannot see here. He has over 2000 trophies and plaques throughout his lifetime. This photo was taken recently in 1999." [photo ommitted]

Comment: Yeah. Trophies and championship belts can be bought--just ask Frank Dux, who bought his Kumite Championship trophy in Hollywood! Again, though, just show us one legit press release about a bare knuckles fight in Japan that Soto won. . .

Soto Wrote: "As a result of his honor and respect for his Shidoshi or "Grandmaster" he fought and won the International Full-Contact, anything goes, Kumite (not point tournament) in the Orient as well as in Japan--8 times for 8 years consecutively--from 1973 through 1980--becoming 8-Time Consecutive World Kumite Undisputed Champion. He had over 279 fights and 279 knockouts during his career in martial arts as a fighter--His career as a fighter spanned from the early 1970s to the present time."

Comment: Except for one little problem--nobody has ever heard of him, especially not in Japan! Where are the records of these massive fights? Photos, press releases--a photo hound like Soto wouldn't have turned down the chance to have his picture taken as he received his 1st place trophy from some famous Japanese master. Ron Van Clief can back up all of his overseas tournaments with photos & announcements in neutral publications--why can't Irv?

Soto Wrote: "As a Chief Hanshi (Grandmaster) in Grandmaster Yamamoto’s dojo, he had the privilege of teaching the Thursday traditional night classes."

Comment: For all 9 fellow students, right?

Soto Wrote: "Following the footsteps of Sokaku Takeda (who made Aiki-Jujitsu famous--later calling it Daito Ryu), Morehei Ueshiba (Founder of Aikido), and Gogen Yamaguchi (Founder of Goju-Ryu Karate along with Master Miyagi--he became head of the system of Goju-Ryu after Master Miyagi died in the early 1950s)--Soke Grandmaster Soto has broken tradition."

Comment: Soto is not fit to sweep the ground behind these men on his knees. Takeda, Yamaguchi, and Ueshiba were legitimate teachers and pioneers in their field. All three could prove their lineages, and were very honest about who their teachers were and how they inherited or created their arts. Soto has shown himself to be nothing but someone who has jumped on the Aikijujutsu bandwagon, and doen't even give his real teachers the credit they deserve.

Soto Wrote: "He is the first American to bring Atemi back to America into the next millennium years.

Comment: EEee EEee EEee. . .Wrongggg! Judo and Jujitsu men brought these "secrets" over back in the post WWII years. Even Bruce Tegner of all people wrote a book on Atemi ("Pressure Points & Nerve Centers") about 40 years ago. Soto can't even spell the Okinawan word for this sort of striking correctly--on his website, he calls Tui-te "tweeta"! After the bird, I wonder?

Soto Wrote: "Soke Grandmaster Soto is the highest authority and last heir to the Complete Art of Atemi."

Comment: Now I'm laughing. Yeah, Soto knows more than Earl Montaigue, Seiyu Oyata, Fusei Kise and Masaaki Hatsumi all rolled into one. Riiight.

Soto Wrote: "Atemi is not merely the art of striking. Atemi Cobra Jujitsu Te is a sophisticated high level art: 365 attack points of the central nervous system, devastating Kyu-Jitsu throws, sophisticated ideological throws--breaking and throwing in midair, powerful boxing and locking techniques, grappling and grippling techniques, poison hand techniques, Pain compliance techniques, arm locking devices, elbow locking devices, finger locking devices, and koppo-jitsu "bone breaking"."

Comment: What the heck are ideological throws? And "Grappling & Grippling"--c'mon. Everyone knows Soto scammed that term from LeBelle, probably heard it from Denora. Now, if Soto learned traditional Koppo in Japan, he would also have to know bone setting, traditional Japanese medicine. From a guy who can't even ~spell~ in his ~own books~, I'd have to admit that this leaves me kinda doubting.

Soto Wrote: "By combining these sophisticated high level techniques, Soke Grandmaster Soto founded the Art of Kogochi (Atemi-Jitsu) Cobra Te, the martial art for the next millenium years."

Comment: For the -next- Millenium years? Baby, the millenium ends reeeal soon, hate to break it to ya. If you can answer any of the questions I posed to Soto's claims, I'd love to see the proof. I'm sure if you're telling the truth, it's out there. Of course, as Soto's student, you might be siezed by the urge to believe whatever he tells you--I'd advise against this, Reyes. No true "master" is worth lying for, no honest purveyor of real budo (samurai) tradition has to lie or make up stories about their past to be believed.

humbly if a bit sarcastically,
m.c. busman

-----------

COMMENTS ON SOTO-OLOGY

Date: 7/28/99

Comments:
There are so many holes in this fella's story, I can't help myself! This is just another li'l ol' dissenting opinion. All the paragraph quotes in " " are the words of Irving Soto, taken as a source for my examination from his website.

Soto wrote: "Soke Dr. Grandmaster Soto, 10th Degree Black Belt, 8-Time Undisputed World Kumite Champion throwing uke."

Comment: If Irving Soto wants to claim 10th dan, fine. But I dispute the other claim, folks. There is absolutely no proof he ever fought in Japan, much less that he's ever set foot there! He has been caught in other lies, including faking a photograph which supposedly showed him and this Yamamoto character--this diminishes his veracity and credibility ~somewhat~.

Soto wrote: "Written By Soke Dr. Grandmaster Soto"

Comment: Straight from the horse's mouth (or the horses ___?). I hope he's not claiming to be an MD now. . .

Soto wrote: "Grandmaster Yamamoto was born in the province of Kyoto, Japan in the year of 1900 and died in 1990 at the age of 90. I really never knew my master’s first name, other than I had extreme respect for him and we never asked for his name--and that was extreme tradition in the classroom setting. You never really knew his first name, but just his last name. That was very extremely respectful. "It is not like today's dojos, where students run around and call their sensei by the first name." "

Comment: C'mon. This is a crock. In Japan, while people are generally referred to by their family name rather than first name, it is still unheard of not to -know- a person's first name--how would you tell 'em apart from other members of the family? Another thing--his full name would be on any documents which you, Soto, were presented by him. You don't study with a person for years and years and not know their full name!

Soto expects us to believe: "But the little that I knew of him--that he was an awesome martial arts player. Silent like a lamb but with the grace of a true samurai master. Before I continue articulating about my master let me go through some general history so you can understand the person I’m introducing today. I didn’t know my master--just that he was called Yamamoto. See you have to understand the Budo or the Way of the Samurai. [. . . .]In absence of your sword or weapon, the Samurai would find necessary to have his ultimate secret weapon--the Art form called Atemi, which is the valued treasure of the Samurai. To practice where to strike in the internal organ, in the body autonomy and to understand the physiology of the body itself; what distance; when to come in and when not to come in; how to utilize his own weight against him, to use the body of the rock as well by twisting and turning the hips. in other words, 365 attack points of the body and to the central nervous system and the incorporation of the grappling and grippling that incorporated the tweeta hand devices and pain compliance technique, and sophisticated locks--sort of entrapping the hand and koppo-jutsu "bone breaking"--these were some of the essential movements of the Samurai, and to be able to stop the heart in a single blow. It was very important where he knew the place to strike, especially if he was in combat with multi-levels of attack, and multiple attackers coming from multi-levels of direction."

Comment: Problems with this. First off, knowledge about physiology, etc. was not the domain of Samurai, the warrior class, but that of the healing scholars, namely bone setters and herbalists who were the doctors of the day. They are the ones to whom the term Koppojutsu can be traced, which can be translated roughly to mean "skills of bone crushing". Concepts of pressure points were not widely known among the samurai either. By "tweeta", I'll assume you mean tui-te (pronounced two-ee-tay), also pronounced and written tori-te (pronounced toh-ree-tay), which refers to the manipulation of pressure points during the execution of joint locking techniques. Atemi actually refers to stikes aimed at specific weak points, these points generally being the same ones used in Chinese accupuncture/pressure treatments. Again, this was the domain of healers, not samurai, and when you think of it, it makes perfect sense. Samurai rarely went unarmed (except in the presence of higher-ups), and thus would not have much use for such knowledge. This is not to say some later schools did not incorporate these teachings later in times of peace.

Soto Wrote: "If he was not able to draw his sword from his Koiguchi-Kanagu-Sageo or in American terms, from his holster then he would use his fists, or the palm of his hand, or the thrust of his finger or his blade to accomplish his mission--the blow of death--the way of the Samurai."

Comment: Actually, most swordsmen in Japan refer to it as a "saya"--or scabbard. The sageo is the silk cord which passed through the kuri-gata(cord-knob) on the saya (scabbard). Koi-guchi simply means "scabbard mouth", or opening of the scabbard. Not even I could tell you what the heck a "kanagu" is--it isn't in any of my dictionaries.

Soto wrote: "[. . . .] As I reminisce in my silent way of thinking, I remember the year was 1973, I was a young man. I used to always dream of becoming a famous swordsman. But that's kind of unreal for a young man at the age of 19 years old. After all, I've only been practicing since the age of 2 years old in the martial arts. This was the moment I've been waiting for all my life to fight the great tournament or the great fights of all fights where all the best fighters of the world show up. See when I was a kid in 1968, a man called Tashioshi which was a Japanese man that migrated to New York in Brooklyn. He owned his business in Brooklyn. He took me to Japan for a tournament. I won the Kata Championship as well as the Open Championship."

Comment: 1968? Whom did you compete against? Where was this, who else was there, and what organization hosted? Before, you told us that Tashioshi taught you jujutsu in the back room of the laundromat when you were a boy. Jujutsu has kata?! Why no specifics here? And--got proof (press releases, photos, etc.)? after all, if you won it. . .

Soto wrote: "But things were different, I was a young boy. This would be the ultimate challenge for me. I remember sitting down when I arrived there were two big guys sitting by the door; It looked more like Men in Black, except they were Japanese. Man was I scared! In all these more older guys than I was. I didn't go aroundasking people their age but they were older. I was this puny guy, 5'7" probably weighing 140 to 147 pounds with a big afro. A half mestizo and Puerto-Rican and Indian; if you understood back in the 1970s people wore 'fros. It was the style back then and people wear bellbottoms and platform shoes and you name it, they did it. But my main quest was to compete with the best. I remember we lined up in a big line where they kinda gave you numbers and a ribbon in your belt and asked you to sit down and wait until your number be called. This was all in Japanese and at that time I didn’t understand one word of Japanese. To the left, I seen a man with long hair, which today he's called Yamaguchi; you'll probably know him as the Cat. On the other side was someone famous, he was Mas Oyama or MasoTaso Oyama, and man called Yamamoto, and other masters which I can't recollect their names because I only remembered the famous ones that they used to always talk about in the East Back East."

Comment: So Mr. Irving Soto, you're telling us that you competed and won at an event where -both- Gogen Yamaguchi and Mas Oyama were present? Did you know that these fellows led different organizations that, while not enemies, were not exactly on the best of terms? Oyama at one time was a student of So Nei-chu, a high ranking Japanese Goju man and student of Yamaguchi's. When Oyama attended a tournament, he generally ran it--making attendence by other higher ranking dudes with their own associations unlikely.

Soto wrote: "When I say Back East I mean New York; to me that's home. It was a privilege for a Brooklyn guy to go to Japan to compete. It was sponsored by a group of Japanese organization that sponsored me to represent them."

Comment: What were the names of this/these organizations?

Soto wrote: "This was only an open invitation. I thought I was going to a regular tournament, but man was I surprised! See don't get me wrong I was in top condition--meaning I could throw a kick as fast as you could blink. I tried to mimic Muhammed Ali's moves with the Alley Shuffles and Rope-a-Dopes."

Comment: And this worked against charging Goju and Kyokushinkai men?!

Soto wrote: But anyway, getting down to the true essence. The first fight was stunning how he jumped up and did a spinning back kick and knock him out. This was only a second in the first round. I think as a young guy I swallowed deeply and said, "Glump!" and said, "Man! This guy is super bad." And I sat there thinking that no one was going to call me fight. I thought I was just there to watch these guys fight. I mean really fight. Teeth flying and beating each other down. This went on for 5 hours. Not that I didn't want to be called, just when you see this you start saying--I never trained for anything like this. I practiced on Jujitsu and Kung Fu dearly. I worked on my legs for 6 hours everyday. See I wanted to go to the Olympics. Unfortunately, later on, it was only allowed for Tae Kwon Do. So I guess I must have been a scrub because they left me for the last. There were only 10 of us guys left to fight. Guess what the guy went to me and said "hweh!" I guess this meant to get up. And there was the same guy I saw when I first sat down knocking that guy in 2 seconds flat. When I looked into his eyes he looked so mean and yet--remember this is a young guy 19-years old thinking. The judge says step into the mat in Japanese. And we bow to the judges, we bow to each other and then we begin. So we begin to fight full-contact, he threw fast spinning wheel kicks--I ran in and out more like a runner--trying to evade this guys kicks because I knew he was good. See he wanted me to stay there and wanted me to fight him his way. But you know growing up in Brooklyn you learn 2 things: you learn know how to duck and how to get out of the way. So this is normal for me. But not to this the Japanese person I was fighting. He wasn't used to that style. Call it what you want to call it--Streetfighting whatever. But he was not used to that so I began to hurt him severely. I had such fast legs myself that he opened up the wrong way hat I hit him in the bridge of the nose knocking him out and winning the Kumite for the first time."

Comment: Again, have you got anything to document this claim, or is it all just more talk? This doesn't sound like any kumite (sparring) match I've ever seen!

Soto wrote: "Call it what you want, sheer luck but I call it technique. Then at the end of the night, I was approached and asked to see the masters at the tribune meaning tables where they were sitting. And there was this Japanese guy talking English, I was asked to join his organization. Kokorougawa organization of Jujitsu which I accepted and that's where I began my journey back and forth traveling from the United States and Japan to continue my training in martial arts. Whenever I got the opportunity I stayed for 8-9 months to learn from this great master. My master was a strange individual never talked one word of English,"

Comment: Look a few sentences before--you just said that he spoke English to you! Which was it? Did he speak English or NOT? So the alleged Yamamoto's style and organization was called Kokorougawa? Hmm. Shame no one has ever heard of it or Yamamoto-without-a-full-name.

Soto wrote: "but yet his technique of aiki and jujitsu was extraordinary. Sometimes I found it overwhelming because he was so traditional and so strict. And in the classes there was no talking and no horseplaying around. Because if you did then you got whacked with a stick or asked to sit down for the remainder of the class and watch."

Comment: That sounds more like a Korean or American children's class!

Soto wrote: "But after spending 18 years with my master, today I can honestly say that I know the true martial arts science."

Comment: Well Soto, ol' boy, you sure can B.S. with the best of 'em. That's a science of sorts, I guess.

Soto wrote: "I pay tribute to the great masters of the years of yesterday. Sokaku Takeda Gichin Funakoshi Jigoro Kano, a great Judokan Morehei Ueshiba, of AikidoKai The Great Taisho Yamamoto, of Koruku Aikijitsu"

Comment: Is this the full name of your supposed teacher, the one you sometimes refer to as K. Yamamoto, but whose first name you say you don't know? Hate to tell you, but Taisho was the name of one of the post-Meiji era Emperors of Japan--this is not a first name, but a special name specific to royalty. And now, after just telling us he taught and led the kokorougawa, you say he's the GM of Koruku Aikijujutsu? C'mon. Give us credit for not being idiots!

Soto wrote: "The Great Gogen Yamaguchi MasoTaso Oyama"

Comment: Masutatsu Oyama?

Soto wrote: "The Late Bruce Lee, of Jeet Kune Do The Great Moto Musachi, Legendary Swordsman"

Comment: You mean Musashi Miyamoto, huh?

Soto continued: "…And to the masters that are still alive and to those that have passed and gone."

Comment: What about paying tribute here to the American men who were your -real- teachers back in Brooklyn, back in New York? You never studied with any of the others, much less met the ones that actually existed.
Still waiting for proof,
* m.c. busman *

--------------

LETTER FROM RICHIE REYES I

Date: 8/5/99

Comments from "Shihan" Richard Reyes to MC Busman:
"You have no HONOR. You talk about BUDO and Samurai, but you don't know jack. You are a disgrace. You are a coward stalker.
"You have the guts to dishonor my Grandmaster. You are the fool. Grandmaster has only one thing to say to you, "Come to the dojo." Grandmaster is fully aware of you. Fully aware.
"I AM NOT LYING FOR ANYBODY. Grandmaster Soto is the REAL THING.
"Busman, I offer you a DIRECT CHALLENGE. I am sick and tired of your bogas insults and direct personal attacks on my Grandmaster. You are a coward prejudiced stalker. And there are laws against that my man. So come on down Bogas Busman.
"You'd better stop referring to things about my Grandmaster's mother. You are barking up the wrong tree mister. My master is not hiding behind me. Don't think for one minute that he is.
"I am waiting for you Busman."

----------------

REPLY TO RICHIE REYES I

Date: 8/6/99

Richard Reyes, student of Irv Soto Wrote to MC Busman: "You have no HONOR. You talk about BUDO and Samurai, but you don't know jack. You are a disgrace. You are a coward stalker."

Reply: You have no grammar. BTW, you know nothing about me other than that I uncovered you and your "teacher" in the act of FRAUD. Again, posting to a public forum, as I am doing, is not "stalking". Misrepresenting facts in an effort to promote or sell goods or services however, is FRAUD, which is a crime. The least you could do is show some gratitude for the assistance I rendered to Soto--he now knows that the Japanese word for scabbard is "saya". Pity he couldn't figure that out after, according to him, spending 18 years in Japan when he was learning to be a samurai. How is telling the truth a disgrace? Why don't you look up "honor"--after you look up "bogas" [sic], of course!

Reyes Fumed: "You have the guts to dishonor my Grandmaster. You are the fool. Grandmaster has only one thing to say to you, "Come to the dojo." Grandmaster is fully aware of you. Fully aware."

MC's Reply: I have the guts to call a lie a lie. As to being aware of me--Good. I hope that my little, well-intentioned nudge has provided him (and you) the encouragement needed to start telling the truth and stop misleading folks.

Reyes Pounded out: "I AM NOT LYING FOR ANYBODY. Grandmaster Soto is the REAL THING."

Comment: You're entitled to your opinion--just be aware that I never questioned Irv's physical M.A. ability--just the veracity (truthfullness) of his claims to having learned and fought in Japan. He might very well be the greatest thing since side-sliced kosher pickles--but then, why the lies about his training?

Reyes Bellowed: "Busman, I offer you a DIRECT CHALLENGE. I am sick and tired of your bogas insults and direct personal attacks on my Grandmaster. You are a coward prejudiced stalker. And there are laws against that my man. So come on down Bogas Busman."

MC Replies: Sorry, you and Soto brought these questions down upon your own heads when you decided to post erroneous, fictitious information about Soto's background--including that funny picture (Soto & "sensei yamamoto"). Please be aware that your "direct challenge" constitutes, under California law, at least, what is called a Terrorist Threat. Now, assuming that someone sent a Terrorist Threat across state lines (let's say someone in San Diego, CA threatens someone in Newark, NJ), it would become a federal crime reportable to the FBI.

Reyes says, hands on hips: "You'd better stop referring to things about my Grandmaster's mother."

Reply: Where on earth did you misread ~this~ one?

Reyes writes: "You are barking up the wrong tree mister. My master is not hiding behind me. Don't think for one minute that he is."

MC Replies: Then, please, cease all reference to challenges behind the schoolhouse--er, dojo, and provide some basic evidence as requested in my post labled "update". [see below]

Reyes says: "I am waiting for you Busman."

Reply: Yeah, that's what they all say. . .

M.C. Busman

-------------

LETTER FROM RICHIE REYES II

Date: 8/5/99

Reyes Writes: "Mr. Busman you are the only bogas one. Why haven't you come down? I'm willing to meet with you anytime. Just come to the dojo and i will be glad to oblige you. But you are so scared that you have to hide behind the internet. You are just a coward-stalker. There are laws against that my man.
"Grandmaster Soto is THE REAL THING! And there are hundreds of people around the world that can verify this my man.
You should get a life.
"And as far as the picture, Let me explain to you and anybody else that the picture was not removed because of you. I was the one that posted the picture in the first place.
"Again this is a personal webpage my man. If you don't like it you don't have to read it.
"You are the only bogas one. Mr. Bogas Busman. Are you a stalker? Are you prejudice? We have laws against this."

---------------

REPLY TO REYES II. . .& WHAT IS A "BO-GAS"?

Reyes Wrote: "Mr. Busman you are the only bogas one. Why haven't you come down? I'm willing to meet with you anytime. Just come to the dojo and i will be glad to oblige you. But you are so scared that you have to hide behind the internet. You are just a coward-stalker. There are laws against that my man."

M.C. Replies: Asking questions & demanding accountability from a man who can't or won't prove himself (Soto or you) is hardly stalking. Terrorist threats (422 CA PC offhand, I believe), however, including challenges, etc., are VERY illegal--not to mention unintelligent.

Reyes writes: "Grandmaster Soto is THE REAL THING! And there are hundreds of people around the world that can verify this my man."

M.C. Asks: Please refer me to some of them, esp. in Japan! I'd love to converse w/ them in regard to Soto. But repeating a statement of faith isn't going to change any minds--your reaffirmations are hardly convincing in light of the overwhelming evidence (and lack thereof) which suggest that Soto (and perhaps some overzealous students of his) has never even set foot in the land of sake and cherry blossoms.

Reyes Chides: "You should get a life."

M.C.'s Reply: If I had a life, I wouldn't be able to debunk Soto and leave you scrabbling for insults and band-aids now, would I?

Reyes wrote: "And as far as the picture, Let me explain to you and anybody else that the picture was not removed because of you. I was the one that posted the picture in the first place."

M.C.'s Reply: So explain why you felt the need to post a cut'n'paste FAKE? BTW, I've saved a copy of it in case you need a reminder of just why it should have caused so much fervour among those with 20/80 vision or greater. Why did YOU, since you take responsibility for its posting, post a picture which was not real, and claim it depicted Soto and the illusiory Yamamoto-chan? BTW, who is the zen meditator, really? I know it isn't any Yamamoto, It'll just take me a while to find the book you, er..."borrowed" it from.

Reyes wrote: "Again this is a personal webpage my man. If you don't like it you don't have to read it."

M.C. replied: And this is a public forum. If you can't stand the stainless steel, get out of the street. Don't post things you can't back up.

Shihan Reyes wrote: "You are the only bogas one. Mr. Bogas Busman. Are you a stalker? Are you prejudice? We have laws against this."

M.C. replied: I don't know what a "bogas" is. As for stalking, posting dissenting opinions in publicly accessible forums does not, nor has it ever met the legal definition of "stalking". But--your ignorance on matters of law -has- lightened my evening by providing me with many chuckles. As for prejudice, I am absolutely prejudiced against liars, charlatains, con men, PHOTO FAKERS, and self promoting windbags. On the other hand, I admire courageous, truthful folks who appreciate humor and are able to defend themselves with facts, insightful opinions, and wit--none of which I've uncovered in any of your goofy posts yet.
BTW--you gonna post any of that evidence regarding Soto's claims yet, huh?

still waiting (and getting older),
*Busman*

-----------

UPDATE (LIST OF QUESTIONS FOR SOTO ET AL.)

Date: 7/28/99
"UPDATE"

Since I first started posting regarding Soto's claims, Mr. Soto has taken it upon himself to remove the bogus, badly done cut and paste job which supposedly showed him with his "teacher", Yamamoto. Additionally, on some sites, Soto has even posted a few pictures of his real teachers back in New York. This is still not enough, because although the phony, misleading picture is gone, the text, including his claims of having trained in Japan for 18 years ("But after spending 18 years with my master, today I can honestly say that I know the true martial arts science".) under "Yamamoto Sensei", remains. The new site address, where you can access this stuff & see for yourself, is

http://members.xoom.it/sokesoto/Tribute.htm

the previous address w/ the bogus photo was

http://members.xoom.com/_XOOM/mastersoto/Tribute.htm

but I think Soto has wisely changed it. . . anyone who would like a copy of the Original bogus "photo" of Soto and the supposed "Yamamoto" can e-mail me at [ mc_busman@my-Deja.com ], I'll be more than happy to provide you with the evidence.

For Soto or anyone else reading this, it is time for you to realize that we in the martial arts community are not little children who believe whatever we are told. We are educated people from many backgrounds and classes who are standing up to demand accountability and proof from those who claim to deserve great resepect. If you are legit, then you have no reason to be offended by reasonable requests that you provide evidence that, among other things too numerous to list, you:

1. Ever visited or resided in Japan, especially that you resided there for 18 years. (passport, temporary residency visa from Japanese gov't, etc).

2. That the man you claim was your teacher, K. Yamamoto, actually existed. Photos (REAL ONES), scrolls in Japanese with his name on them, the names of people you studied with whom we can actually verify the existence of and contact, Yamamoto's full family name and the exact location of his school (after all, you were there for 18 yrs) so that we may verify this with the prefectural office where he lived in Japan. Also, proof of those who you claim taught you as a child in New York, such as the full name of "Tashioshi", etc., and the man you call the "Shaolin Monk" but never name.

3. In regards to the claim that you, Irving Soto were a world bare knuckle champion (or grippling and grappling, as it were) 8 time over between 1973 & 1980, Press releases/newspaper clippings (in any language) which may be independently verified by the news office or magazine which pubished them, which name a Soto as a winner, grand champion, or participant. Photos of you, Mr. Soto, with well-known Japanese masters (you claim in your writing that Gogen Yamaguchi and Mas Oyama were present at one of these alleged events) and members of the Japanese community, or other Japanese competitors who can be named for the purpose of contacting them to verify any alleged victories. Also, the victory certificate which is given to the competitors (in Japanese) in addition to the championship cup awarded at major events might be compelling proof.

4. A certificate/scroll which would actually prove that you, Irving Soto, were head of the lineage you claim as an ancient one from Japan--all traditional schools of Japanese martial arts give them, and since you claim Yamamoto was very traditional, he should be no exception. Soto calls himself "The Only American Samurai", and the "Last Heir To True Atemi". These are big claims considering all of the folks who can prove their time in Japan (and other places) with photos, scrolls & certificates, ability to speak/read/write the language, connections to people who they met in Japan, etc. Absolutely, some unfalliable proof of these claims is required. (BTW, real Japanese swords were never made of stainless steel!)

5. Lesser "proofs" which some less demanding martial artists and organizations might find compelling, such as affidavits from close friends or colleagues is not compelling. For instance, a fellow martial artist in San Diego who has never been to Japan would probably not be a good witness. However, a Japanese national who competed against you, or one of the tournament directors in Japan, might be.

There it is. Nothing fancy, nothing unreasonable. The NHB fighters of today have no trouble proving who and when they fought, neither should you. Japan is and always has been a nation where events and tournaments such as the ones Soto claims to have participated in are closely monitored and watched by the powers that be, including the local district's police office. Everyone has the right to answer their accusers, so Irving Soto, here is your opportunity to offer your fellow martial artists proof of your claims.
Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to make these claims for people to consider you legitimate. You don't need to claim that you were taught by Shaolin monks, or secret senseis in Japan, or that you fought in tournaments overseas. All you really need to do is show that you are worthy of respect by according respect to others--your true teachers in New York, your fellow martial artists, students, the public. You can do this by telling the truth and being yourself. There is no shame in that.

M.C. Busman
-----------

SOTO'S STUDENT COMMENTS

Comments
My name is David McHenry. I've been studying with Grandmaster Soto for aprox. 2 1/2 years. I am writing in response to the negative messages sent in about Grandmaster Soto. I would like to know under what Master this person trained, and taught him such disrespect. I don't know you. What right do you hove to make such comments. Under what authority did you get your information. If you had done your research you would know Grandmaster Soto is Real. He is a knowledgable, honest, hard working man, whom I belive has earned his titles and boasting rights and our respect. His students and I stand behind him and his reputation. The webpage is just a brief history of Grandmaster Soto. If you had ever met Grandmaster Soto you would know he is a true martial artist and is who he say's he is.
-------------

MISTAKES IN SOTO'S BOOK: THE COVER

Date: 8/8/99
Comments
Yes, I actually -have- met Soto, on several occasions, including several conferences over the past few years. I mentioned before, and I'll say again here that I don't dispute Soto's -skill- in the M.A.--I am disputing his claims to having trained in Japan, inherited a Japanese style, fought in 8 bare knuckles tournaments in Japan between 1973-'81, etc.

If Soto is for real, there is absolutely no reason why the proof which I asked for can't be displayed on Reyes' site-- a few photos of him w/ recognizeable Japanese martial artists at these supposed tournaments, which he attended 8 times over 8 years and always won, according to his claims, would be a nice beginning. If Soto's claims are true, he should have more than enough proof, including REAL photos and newspaper clippings--or even the address/phone number of someone in Japan who can vouch for him.

Despite my asking for these things for over a month (and I am not alone in my curiosity), nothing but "how dare you"'s and silly challenges have appeared from Soto and company. The longer this self righteous stalling goes on, the more likely it seems that such proof simply doesn't exist, because the events purported to have taken place never did.
Neither myself nor any other martial artist needs anyone's special "authority" to question outlandish claims such as Soto's. My own experiences, my own suspicions and senses are more than enough to suggest that with regards to the claims of your teacher, there are obvious problems with his "history" and perceptions of budo (ignorance of the language & culture, etc.).

If you are really so astonished that someone dares point out that the emperor wears no clothes, I don't know what to tell you--I can offer no words of comfort. The best you can do is read the section called "UPDATE" and ask Soto some of these things yourself. All of the questions I ask in UPDATE deserve an answer, and if Soto is as worthy of respect as you believe, and not merely another self promoted, arrogant, easily offended over inflated martial arts ego, then he shouldn't have any trouble making these records public.

But I ask you, how could any sensible person believe that someone who claims to have inherited a system in Japan and studied there on and off for 18 years but doesn't even know the correct word for scabbard (saya), someone who on the cover of a book of his, in addition to claiming to be the "last heir to the secret lost art of Atemi" (which is a principle and not an art), writes 9 characters, one of which has no meaning, the others which make no grammatical sense combines as they are, is telling the truth about his exploits? Please ask GM Soto what the cover of the book means--neither I nor my Japanese buddies could figure it out.

Here, for your eyes, is a translation of the actual meanings of the characters, top to bottom:
character 1, "Ai", also pronounced "gou", meaning togetherness, as in the word "aikido".
character 2, "Kyu", also pronounced "yumi", meaning bow, as in "kyudo" (archery)
character 3, "Kara", meaning air, or empty
character 4, "Te", meaning hand, as in "karate".
character 5, composed of 3 strokes, simply does not exist in any character reference dictionary, Japanese, Chinese, or Korean. It is gibberish.
character 6, "Bu", meaning warlike, or martial
character 7, "Sha", also pronounced "mono", meaning person, as in "bakamono" (stupid person).
Character 8, "Ai", a repetition of character 1, but this time, in a basic calligraphic style, obviously copied by someone who didn't know they were the same.
character 9, "Ki", as in essence or spirit, again crudely penciled in a calligraphic style.

Roughly, this could be read as "Ai yumi Kara te (illegible character) Bu Sha Ai Ki". In english, this would mean "togetherness bow (archery) karate (illegible character) martial person togetherness (of) spirit". It lacks sentance markers or other grammatical effects. What's more, there is no such word as "busha", the word for "warrior" is "bushi", the character for "Shi" being significantly different than the character for "sha". Please explain this discrepency--and those numbered in the UPDATE.
regards,
M.C. Busman

sammycerv
5th July 2000, 04:11
My goal in life is to be just like him.

What is he anyway?

Michael Becker
5th July 2000, 10:52
If Mr Soto is such a blatant fraud why doesnt someone make a complaint to the civil authorities?

Surely it is a simple matter for someone to contact the police and make a charge of obtaining money by deception?

In the Netherlands you cannot teach martial arts without first providing some proof of qualification to a government appointed body. It is an effective way of stopping the frauds.

Anyone that has listened to the 'poetry' would agree with me that that alone warrants a custodial sentence.

[Edited by Michael Becker on 07-05-2000 at 04:55 AM]

Ken Allgeier
5th July 2000, 15:22
WOW,

Mr Reyes replies read like a script from a grade-C Kung Fu movie, viva the old " Kung Fu " Theatre.

P.S

MR Busman,since GM Soto is also a warlord,could you state which part of New York city is he a,"lord of the manor of" ?

Ken Allgeier

MarkF
5th July 2000, 17:43
Funny, I would not get anything from either site; something about not enough information being "returned from the site"or something like that.

ericDZR
5th July 2000, 22:18
if you read reyes II replies as if he has a bad french accent it sounds even funnier:

"You are ze only bogaz one. Missuer Bogaz Buzman. Are you ze stalkair?"

-eric sterner

Kolschey
5th July 2000, 23:03
In medeval Europe, there were sports like badger and bear baiting. Now, due to our increased sensitivity to the ethical treatment of wild animals, coupled with the recent public appetite for no-holds-barred fighting, we have a new and improved form of entertainment..
Ladies and Gentlemen, I present
Bozo Baiting!!

ghp
6th July 2000, 02:30
Mr. Busman, you obviously have too much time on your hands! I've been enjoying your post tremendously.

I would like to offer up a couple of pieces of this very strange jigsaw puzzle for you.

...Koi-guchi simply means "scabbard mouth", or opening of the scabbard. Not even I could tell you what the heck a "kanagu" is--it isn't in any of my dictionaries.

Well, literally, "koi-guchi" means "Carp Mouth" -- but it is better interpreted as you have done: scabbard mouth. Also, I'd like to see the kanji used for "kanagu" -- I'm guessing it is "kin/kane" and "gu" literally "gold tool" but meaning a "metal fitting." [see Nelson's 4815.8.11].

there is no such word as "busha",

Ssssssssssss {sound of teeth-sucking} You are right -- kinda-sorta. The two kanji are appropriately read as "musha" [as in "musha shugyo"] -- still, Dr. Grandmaster Professor World-renown Sir Lord Soto's usage of these kanji, mixed in with the grab-bag of "empty archery hand," appears to be unintelligible -- as you so succinctly point out.

character 5, composed of 3 strokes, simply does not exist in any character reference dictionary, Japanese, Chinese, or Korean. It is gibberish.

Is there any way I can see this character? Can you e-mail it to me? I'm very curious.

All in all -- 99.99% -- I agree with everything you've pointed out to Messrs Soto and Reyes. If they wish to make public statements [fantastical ones at that], they then should not be taken aback when proof is requested by enquiring, educated martial artists. The old saw, "you are dishonorable" and "how dare you" still has currency, apparently -- an obvious obfuscation. Apparently they've glossed over your statement in which you say that you do not question Mr. Soto's martial arts ability [however -- you should have said "fighting ability" just to be 100% correct].

Have you any more jewels to share?

Regards,
Guy

M.C. Busman
6th July 2000, 05:37
Yeah, at the time [last year] I did have far too much time on my hands. If it makes me look any better (it shouldn't), I was laughing when I wrote most of it. Especially the reply to the "Busman, we are waiting..." portion.

Eric, I too have always thought of it with kind of an Arnold Schwartzeneggar intonation myself (a' la "Busmaan, ve are vaitink for yooouu..."). :D It always amazes me to run into people so far removed, so isolated from reality. It really seems as if the Soto-ites have learned everything from a very bad Hong Kong kung fu cinema script. The saddest part is that they have no idea just how wonderful the real martial arts knowledge out there is apart from this self serving creepola.

Guy, I didn't even think of the Mu'sha. Thanks. I still think Soto made it all up (his illegible composit) by piecing bits of Kanji together from a Japanese character dictionary and maybe a few issues of Aikido Journal. The script on the book cover is very badly written--I mean, obviously by someone who has no clue about stroke order, etc. Anyone wants to see themselves without funding this fool can e-mail me w/ your postal address & I'll send you a copy with notes.

As for the illegible character, imagine the 3-stroke character for "ue" (above). Well, Soto's original character is composed of one long bottom stroke with a second vertical stroke going from top to bottom, the bottom meeting with the center of the base stroke (like an upside down capital "T"). Now, write another vertical stroke to the write of the first one, about 1/2 its length, and on the right side so that it meets near the right edge of the upside down "T"--kinda like an upside down "pi" with one leg longer than the other. This is Soto's unique blend of Orientalness & Asian Mystique (Mystake?). Ug. And still, his students defend him and stay with him. :O Maybe we should start a Cult-with-teacher-as-brainwashing-dictator thread.

I have been doing my best to make sure others in my area know about this man, and am in the process of finishing up a packet of information to send to local LEO trainers (police trainers)--and also the dummy with the mayor's office who gave this liar some award a few years back. :( Hopefully, he will eventually see the importance of telling the truth, and come to understand that making up stories and creating fake photos is not the way to go. Yeah, I'm being a jerk about it, I know. But I am sick of seing guys like this profit off of the good will, ignorance and don't-know-better's in our society. Might as well get a free laugh while debunking the junk.

Keep Laughin',

:) M.C. Busman :)

"A Jerk a Day Keeps the Soto Away"

ghp
6th July 2000, 07:20
M.C.,

...imagine the 3-stroke character for "ue"... kinda like an upside down "pi" with one leg longer than the other....

Thanks for the descriptive. Sounds kinda-sorta like "tomaru" (stop) -- but mirror imaged with the second stroke missing (the short horizontal stroke). Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Okay, I'm stumped too.

Regards,
Guy

Shaolin Monk
20th July 2000, 15:47
Hello everyone, i am shaolin monk. yes indeed i did teach Soto. However, there is a secret that i can no longer keep. Im sorry my student, i have to tell the truth. Soke Dr. Professor Soto MD is actually a woman, yes, a woman. Soto was born Irene Saxon, i did teach him/her Kung Fu, however Izze ( as we called him/her back then ) was one of the worst in my class. MY CLASSES WERE NOT FREE. Izze was in the class only because of the ahem....favors she performed for me...lets just leave it at that. Also i'd like to clarify that there was a bare knuckled tournament that i took Izze to, she did not fight however, she was the towel girl. i did fight, and got my backside whipped by everyone, Moto Musachi, Bruce Lee, Mas Oyama, Yamamoto all kick my silly behind. Because of this embarrassment i conveniently burnt and destroyed all the publications that contained the press releases. Izze has grown up to be such a beautiful person, even though, you're not female anymore, i just like to say im proud of you, you go girl!...ahem...sorry bout that. Once again im sorry my Izze if i've embarrassed you in front of all your friends...

mithrandir
25th July 2000, 18:16
Hi Everyone!!

While reading the bulletin board at the Daito-Ryu.com folks (ie the ones that claim they are the rightfull heirs to the mainlaine as opposed to Kondo Sensei), I came across this in their bulletin board:

Title: My Challenge to the Seishinkai

Content:

Posted by Hanshi, Soke, Dr., Grandmaster Irving Soto on June 21, 19100 at 20:57:49:

I am Hanshi, Soke, Dr., Grandmaster Soto the worlds leading authority of Atemi Cobra Aikijitsu Te from which your art of Daito-ryu was derived. I am here to publicly challenge the senior member of your organization to a public challenge match. If you are a fraudulent organization you will fall to the wrath of my grippling techniques especially the tweeta death grip. If you prove yourselves worthy and legitimate I will teach you the superior art of Atemi Cobra Aiki Te. My challenge has been issued to the Seishinkai and forever stands. Beware for I am the 8 time undisputed undefeated Bare Knuckle Kumite World Champion.

Hanshi, Soke, Dr., Grandmaster I. Soto

url: http://www.daito-ryu.com/riservato/wwwboard/messages/184.html

Is it real??

Either way pretty funny after all the other Soto posts!!

Mike Preradovic

Neil Yamamoto
25th July 2000, 19:40
I thought this was a pretty blatant fake post. In my head, I thought it was one of the e-budo people who were following the Soto thread planted it as a joke. I know a couple people thought I was behind it with my sense of humor as twisted as it is.

Nope,not me. I think it was funny, but of questionable taste. But then most things I find funny are of questionable taste.

Kevin Myers
25th July 2000, 19:40
I think it sounds way too funny to be legit. Whether it's legit or not, who better to issue a challenge to the daito-ryu.com folks than Dr, Soke Soto?

sammycerv
26th July 2000, 21:21
Whoever posted that message is nuts, but funny. Kudoos to you!!!

Nathan Scott
26th July 2000, 22:10
Hey, don't look at me - I didn't do it.

But come to think of it, who else of "high repute" can we get to settle this issue with them?!? The sad thing is Dr. Mucho Grande Soto might be able to take them.

Hee hee hee

Kevin Myers
26th July 2000, 22:31
I think the daito-ryu.com could take Soto! Probably because there would be 3 fakes taking on 1 flake.

Mollberg
27th July 2000, 07:18
HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!im spechless!sweet zombie jesus thats funny!

M.C. Busman
28th July 2000, 02:15
Anyone who has ever spoken to Soto or wasted the money on his books knows this post is fake. Soto is lacking in areas of grammar and literacy--written and spoken. Judging from the numerous challenges and death threats I've received from his students, I don't think they fare much better in the spelling department.

It just isn't as funny when it is written in perfect English. . .

M.C. Busman

"C'mon, all together now. . . .Jjjerk!"

M.C. Busman
28th July 2000, 02:28
And no, it wasn't me. I would have misspelled every other word.

--mc

jbernard
31st July 2000, 17:35
"...the wrath of my grippling techniques..."

What's grippling? It sounds dirty....

M.C. Busman
2nd August 2000, 00:35
"Grippling" is a slang term used by Gene LeBell (and possibly other wrestlers & barn stormers back in the day. It's a contraction of Grappling & gripping, once you know that you can kinda picture what it means. I've heard LeBell use it, and some of the people who have seen his videos or attended his seminars have used it occasionally. I believe Soto picked it up from someone who has visited LeBell on occasion, John Denora (founder of "Daito Ryu USA" style), who also lives in the San Diego Area.

You'll find there is nothing original in Soto (even the fiction is bad). Several parts of his book are outright plagiarized, including some drawings from "Aikido & the Dynamic Sphere". That he chose to invent a fictitious "Grappling & Grippling" championship which, we are told, he won in Japan no less should surprise no-one. I haven't had a tough time at all tryinh to figure out what is true and what is not regarding Soto. His credibility is such that if he told me the sky was blue, I would probably get a second opinion.

M.C. Busman

Dale
6th August 2000, 15:06
Originally posted by mithrandir

Is it real??

Mike Preradovic

I don't know Mike, but judging by the other stuff I've read about him I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised. After all a man of his amazing skill, to say the least, would be hard pressed to find a challenge and of all the people to give him one I would elect daito-ryu.com folk.

That's all I have to say on the subject as I am not game enough to say more.....that Tweeta death gripple scares the b'jesus out of me.

sarcastically yours
Dale Elsdon

Neil Yamamoto
24th December 2007, 18:18
I hate to revive old threads, but I was sent his link this morning, so now for your viewing pleasure this holiday season, a chance to escape from annoying relatives and children. Add that rum or bourbon to your eggnog and enjoy Grandmaster Soto in Extreme Aikijujutsu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aReHLLJd6_s&feature=user