PDA

View Full Version : Advise needed: Lunch at work

Uranium235
27th June 2001, 16:49
My body has revolted. I changed my eating habits for the better but have recently fallen back due to a business trip and the fact that I work at a nuclear power plant. I must return to my better habits because I feel awefull.

Though I am only five minutes from home it takes 30 minutes for me to get through security. Thus, going home is not an option for me. I would like to eat rice at lunch but have found that despite my best efforts the rice is always hard and unpleasant even if cooked just prior to my leaving for work.

Does anyone have any advise to give on this subject? I want to have my brown rice with each meal but cannot come up with a way have edible rice at lunch.

Any advise in appreciated.

Neil Yamamoto
27th June 2001, 17:16
I assume here you have a microwave at work first of all. If not, just crack one of the steam pipes off the reactor to get some steam. ;)

Take your rice to work in a microwavable tupperware.

Add 1/2 teaspoon of water to the rice and then stick in the microwave. Make sure you crack the top slightly to vent steam from the water unless you enjoy getting 2nd degree steam burns on your hand when you open the tupperware.

Microwave for about 2-3 minutes.

Does this work? Well, it's not an ancient family secret handed down for hundreds of years, but it works for me. The rice comes out just like fresh.

If you want an ancient family secret handed down for hundreds of years, than here you go. Mom's onigiri.- rice ball. This is a secret recipe so don't go blabbing it around or the Yamamoto clan ninja chef will visit you in the night.

Take your fresh rice and let it cool slightly.

Wet your hands and sprinkle your left hand lightly with salt.

Drop a big scoop of rice into your left hand. Now quickly shape the rice into a pleasing geometric shape which will bring you gastronomic pleasure. My mom used to make me varied shapes like triangles and squares. Nowadays, I make animal shapes for my niece and nephew.

Wrap it in wax paper to keep it from losing moisture or stick in a tupperware and seal it up. Eat with your accompanying other foodstuffs. You might want to experiment with umeboshi and other things to put in the middle of the rice.

Oh, for nigiri, brown rice doesn't stick together as well depending on the brand. Try 3/4 brown to 1/4 white rice if it doesn't stick together well.

Uranium235
27th June 2001, 17:48
I very much appreciate your advise. I cannot believe that I did not think of rice balls!

I will do some research on umeboshi. The internet should yield some good ideas.

Again thank you very much.