PDA

View Full Version : Advice on food types

Hobo
29th June 2001, 06:31
I was wondering if anyone can advise me on good food that I should consume that will help me when I am training in martial arts. I would assume it would need to provide adequate energy, be low fat, and healthy for the body. Would someone that is "in the know" on the subject be able to list a range of foods that I can consume, and use to change my diet to a healthier one?

Thanks,

-Alexander Singh

Jampotmatt
30th June 2001, 00:50
Hi Hobo,

Thought I'd give you the benefit of my experience in the Healthcare industry - especially regarding nutrition and diet.

If you do not have a weight problem, go for a naturally balanced diet of approx 1/3 protein, 1/3 fats, 1/3 carbs. The proteins and fats are vital for body systems and repair. Don't get misled by the 'fat's are bad' school of thought. The fats in natural animal products such as butter, eggs, fish etc is loaded with ESSENTIAL fats (EFA's) Your body can't make them so you need to get them in your food. The fats to avoid are the transfats like hydrogenated oil or margarine.

A simple common sense approach is best. If it occurs in nature it is gonna be realtively good for you. If it has been jerked with by man or worse 'made by' man, it is liable to give you all manner of problems.

The proteins will help rebuild muscle and bones, but you should also consider taking a high quality 'bio-available' mineral supplemnt. Simple fact is that the minerals are no longer in the soil any more (modern fertilizers and the like) and they are vital for muscle, bone and nerve function and repair.

Just be sensible... avoid the obvious sugary things... avoid the processed carbs like pasta, bread and rice or keep them to a minimum. Make sure you drink lots of fresh water to keep yourself hydrated and to help flush the wealth of toxins in our environment through and out of your body.

Hope that helps. Any questions, just ask.

Matt