PDA

View Full Version : Ryukyu Kobudo Taikan

Pavel Dolgachov
5th July 2001, 11:25
I just received a translation to russian of Patrick McCarthy translation "Ryukyu Kobudo Taikan" by Taira Shinken, noted okinawan kobudo master. I was surprised view kata demonstration by McCarthy sensei. I would like to ask, probably, he use his techniques (he is Kim Richard and Kinjo Hiroshi student).
Does anybody knows about other Ryukyu Kobudo taikan translations?

Pavel

Doug Daulton
21st July 2001, 23:53
Originally posted by Pavel Dolgachov ...I just received a translation to russian of Patrick McCarthy translation "Ryukyu Kobudo Taikan" by Taira Shinken, noted okinawan kobudo master. I was surprised view kata demonstration by McCarthy sensei. I would like to ask, probably, he use his techniques (he is Kim Richard and Kinjo Hiroshi student).
Does anybody knows about other Ryukyu Kobudo taikan translations? Pavel,

This issue has been addressed in a few other other threads. I've included links below for your reference.<li>Taira Translation: Swift Thread (http://204.95.207.136/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=3820)
<li>Taira Translation: McCarthy Thread (http://204.95.207.136/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=3780&highlight=taira) I also check the Master's Publication web site and their translation does not yet seem to be available.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Doug Daulton
22nd July 2001, 00:43
Originally posted by Pavel Dolgachov ... I just received a translation to russian of Patrick McCarthy translation "Ryukyu Kobudo Taikan" by Taira Shinken, noted okinawan kobudo master. I was surprised view kata demonstration by McCarthy sensei. I would like to ask, probably, he use his techniques (he is Kim Richard and Kinjo Hiroshi student). Pavel,

The photos in question are of Mr. McCarthy and Bob McMahon, a fine Aussie budoka and friend of Mr. McCarthy's. Both occasionally post here, so I imagine they will eventually chime in on the thread. That said, here is what I know about the photos.

While both McCarthy and McMahon are accomplished martial artists, neither was a student of Akamine Eisuke or, I am almost certain, Inoue Motokatsu (Taira's Successors). Mr. McCarthy is, I believe, a student of Yamanae-ryu bojutsu through Kinjo Hiroshi Sensei. While Yamanae-ryu was incorporated into Taira's curriculum, both arts have diverged considerably since that occurred. With this in mind, the photos in question cannot be said to represent the "official" techniques of either of Taira's successors.

For those the "official" interperpretations, one would have to go to Okinawa (Akamine's dojo) or Japan (Inoue's dojo). One could also check out the official websites of both groups which I've listed below. Both Devorah Dometrich (Akamine's North American representative) and Julian Mead (Inoue's European representative) are quite open to answering questions and making themselves available to interested in their art. Their e-mail addresses are available on their web sites. I encourage you to e-mail either or both of them.<ul><li><a href="http://www.ryukyu-kobudo.org">Taira to Akamine Line: Ryukyu Kobudo Hozon Shinkokai</a></li>
<li><a href="http://www.rkagb.com/">Taira to Inoue Line: Ryukyu Kobujutsu Hozon Shinkokai</a></li></ul>I e-mailed Mr. McCarthy about the photos in his translation. In his reply, he said that he originally intended to include a variety of historic photos; including, if I am not mistaken, the photos and illustrations found in the original Japanese volume of the Ryukyu Kobudo Taikan. However, he and the publisher (Tuttle) were not able to obtain reprint permission for these images. Rather than having a plain, dry translation, they elected to reinterpret the original photos (using Mr. McCarthy and Mr. McMahon) to provide some context for the text.

As a student/member of Ryukyu Kobudo Hozon Shinkokai (Akamine Sensei's organization), I can confirm there are some marked differences in the techniques shown in Mr. McCarthy's translation and the techniques represented in the original volume and now taught within the Taira ---> Akamine line. As for the Taira ---> Inoue line, you would have to ask someone from that school (perhaps Mr. Mead).

Let me be clear, this is not an attack on Mr. McCarthy or Mr. McMahon. Like some other RKHS practitioners, I was initially taken back by these photos. Even if I don't agree with the photos, I do understand why Mr. McCarthy and Tuttle elected to include them. I gathered from Mr. McCarthy's e-mail that he would have much rather the original photos been available to the reader. However not given that choice, he felt it important that photos of some sort be included to provide context.

If I have misunderstood or misrepresented the position of Mr. McCarthy or of Tuttle Publishing, I trust they will clarify as needed.

Regards,

Pavel Dolgachov
23rd July 2001, 10:17
Thank you very much, Mr Doulton!

I would like to buy copy of Ohta translation too. I was not against Pat MacCarthy too. I just asked about original photos. As I understand Ryukyu kobujutsu Shinkokai reprinted "RK Taikan" on japaneese.

O'k
Pavel Dolgachov