PDA

View Full Version : Question about early 20th century JuJitsu exponents

rpatter
9th July 2001, 21:16
Does anyone know where I can research the JuJitsu exponents who travelled to Europe (Ireland in particular) performing demonstrations to promote the art? Thanks for your time.
Regards, Ryan Patterson

Walker
9th July 2001, 23:03
A good place to start might be EJMAS.com especially the Kronos section.
-DougWalker

Neil Hawkins
10th July 2001, 05:36
Ryan

Doug's right, there are some good articles in EJMAS, there is also some stuff at the Budokwai site (see the "Jujutsu on the Internet" post for links).

There is some limited stuff on the Internet, but I have yet to come across any specific references to Ireland. Many of the demostrations occured under the banner of professional wrestling, so if there are any Irish journals or papers that covered the wrestling or boxing circuit pre WWI they should make mention of something.

The standard press in Dublin may have archives, look in the entertainment section as many of these demonstartions took place in music halls or with travelling troupes. The press of the day would have mentioned or advertised them somewhere.

Finally, check with any old Judo Schools, there may have been one operating around the time that hosted a demostration.

Regards

Neil

Davemdh
10th July 2001, 13:04
Ryan,
Get in touch with Hercules Gym on Capel st. in Dublin. They should know anything about any wrestling that took place here. Sorry I dont have the number, Im very far from my stuff.

Dave

Bambi
10th July 2001, 17:34
Ryan,

I once heard a story of a visiting Japanese ju jutsu exponent (Uyenishi??) rescuing a man who fell into a river in Northern Ireland. I can't remember the details and have no idea if it was true or not.

In addition to the Hercs gym (is it on Lurgan street these days??) you might try the Irish Judo association. Otherwise it's the press archives!

rpatter
10th July 2001, 21:48
Oisin...I am stunned that you mentioned that incident. It was my Sensei's account of that incident that prompted me to ask my above question.
The incident happened on the Albert Bridge (5 mins from my house), a guy jumped in trying to kill himself and the JuJitsu exponent dived in and pulled him out. It was the first time anyone in Ireland had seen resuscitation techniques performed.
I'm really after info preferably including photos of the exponents in action. They took on boxers, wrestlers, brawlers and mopped the floor with them.

Thanks for the info Bambi and everyone else who replied.

Cheers, Ryan Patterson

Bambi
11th July 2001, 07:52
So it was the Albert Bridge Ryan? That's beside the railway station in Belfast is'nt it?

I think someone once posted a scan in the image gallery forum of a postcard showing a japanese jujutsu guy at a fair somewhere down in the sticks in Ireland. This was eons ago though...at least bc.