PDA

View Full Version : Oops! A mistake on my part!

NoMan
10th July 2001, 08:51
Hmm... it's so hard to find good information on exercise. In in Dr. Michael Yessis's book "Kinesiology of Exercise", it states that EMG studies show there is a difference in electro-chemical stimulation during various ab exercises, and that only the upper abs are used in crunches. This seems strange, as the rectus abdominal muscles are noncontiguously innervated. Researching further, I found this from Dr. Hatfield:

"Electromyographic studies have demonstrated that the upper portion of the recti produced more activity when doing crunches with no weight, but when as little as ten pounds was added, activity was equal throughout the muscle. The same studies demonstrated that reverse crunches can produce greater activity in the lower abs than in the upper abs, but it also produced activity in the obliques. When resistance is applied to the crunch movement, differences in electrical activity disappeared, and contraction became relatively uniform throughout the entire rectus abdominus. So, contrary to popular belief, all abdominal exercises in which substantial resistance (weight) is being overcome will produce equally strong electromyographic activity throughout the entire muscle. In simple terms, no upper or lower part of a muscle is “isolated”.

The only thing that I can figure out from this is that the abdominal muscles abide by the same rule that all muscles do, that they only recruit the amount of fibers necessary to perform a given movement. In the case with the crunches, only a small portion of the muscle fibers were needed for the exercise. Upon adding weight to it, the muscles would require more fibers to produce the same movement, recruiting additional muscle fibers. Of course, "lower ab" exercises shouldn't be ignored, due to the hip flexor involvement. Hmm... more speculation I guess...

David T Anderson
27th July 2001, 14:46
50 - 100 reverse crunches [leg lifts so the pelvis goes completely off the ground]

50 - 100 regular crunches [upper back lifts off the ground]. Put a 10Lb weight plate or dumbell on your chest for a serious workout

50 - 100 twist crunches [try to keep one shoulder on the ground while putting other shoulder on opposite knee. It can't be done...the idea is to try hard to do it]. 10 Lb weight, etc.

2 - 3 sets of side bends [standing, hold light weight in one hand. Bend as far as possible toward the weight...then as far as possible away from the weight. Put the hand of the side being exercised behind head with elbow in the air for an extra stretch. If you want a slim waist, don't go overboard on this exercise. If you want a wide blocky waist, go nuts with it.]

This is all you need to do. Anybody who does more ab exercises than this should be sedated for their own protection...

lgusaas
28th July 2001, 05:18
Originally posted by David T Anderson
50 - 100 reverse crunches[clip]
50 - 100 regular crunches[clip]
50 - 100 twist crunches [clip]
2 - 3 sets of side bends[clip]

This is all you need to do. Anybody who does more ab exercises than this should be sedated for their own protection...

No way. All this does is develop muscular endurance and tones the muscles. It does Absolutely Nothing to develop strength and explosive power which are essential for effective martial art techniques. You need low rep ,heavy weight movements to develop strength and weighted explosive movements for power.

Larry Gusaas

David T Anderson
3rd August 2001, 14:53
Originally posted by lgusaas

No way. All this does is develop muscular endurance and tones the muscles. It does Absolutely Nothing to develop strength and explosive power which are essential for effective martial art techniques. You need low rep ,heavy weight movements to develop strength and weighted explosive movements for power.

Larry Gusaas

'Explosive power' in the abs? Interesting idea, but I'm not sure how it would be useful... What do you suggest then?

NoMan
9th August 2001, 06:29

'Explosive power' in the abs? Interesting idea, but I'm not sure how it would be useful... What do you suggest then?

Hmm... well, if you want to increase difficulty via higher intensity vs. duration, try ankle weights for most of the psoas exercises, like hanging knee raises, hanging leg lifts, etc. For increased difficulty in the ab exercises, try holding a weight behind your head while doing crunches.

lgusaas
10th August 2001, 05:23

Many styles of martial arts teach that the hara is the center or source of power. The style of karate that I practice relies on use of the koshi [pelvic carriage and all the muscles that control it] through rotations in mutiple planes to generate power in all techniques. This includes punches, parries, throws, joint locks,etc. Developing explosive power in the abs and the other muscles controling the hips is very useful in this context.

How? - We use a series of plyometric type exercise to work the koshi in various parts of its multidimensional planes. As with any plyometric exercises, this requires first developing a strong strength foundation first in order to avoid injury.

For a more general approach I would recommend reading Stronger Abs and Back by Greg Brittenham and Dean Brittenham published by Human Kinetics 1997 ISBN: 0880115580. They discuss training the abs and back for endurance,strength and power and illustrate mutiple exercises to develop these various aspects.

Larry Gusaas