PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of a supplier of nice timbei rochin sets (spear or machete style)

tetsu
12th July 2001, 02:08
Does anyone know of any craftsmen or companies
that will sell timbei sets to US buyers?

The shield needs to be strong enough for hard
kumite.

One note, no actual turtle shell shields please!

Johnny Tetsu

Doug Daulton
21st July 2001, 15:50
Johnny,

Traditionally, one makes one's own Rochen & Tinbe. They are a personal set of weapons, so both need to fit your body. While this is generally true of all weapons, Ryukyuan or other, it is particularly true of Rochen & Tinbe.

A solid dowel, good throwing knife and jutte twine are all you need for the rochen. The tinbei can be fashioned from a small garbage can lid, a large (truck) hubcap or even a heavy old wok. Play around with weight and balance.

Remember, you'll be training with it every day, so you'll want to be sure it fits you.

Regards,

Doug Daulton
Okinawan Martial Arts

PS: Is Tetsu you surname or a screenname? If it is a screenname, please include your surname on all posts per e-Budo policy.

Nobody
7th April 2008, 22:45
In conjuction with some research I have been doing for my book (which doesn't seem like it will ever end), I have found some suppliers for timbe rochin sets. These are nearly all custom orders.

Crane Mountain - www.crane-mountain.com
Reimondo's - www.reimondo.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
Okinawan Weapons - www.okinawanweapons.com

In addition, Mr. Don Shapland of the Ryukyu Kobudo Tesshinkan also manufactures timbe rochin sets. Mr. Shapland can be reached at his email address kobudoga@shaw.ca. For those who practice Matayoshi kobudo, Okinawan Weapons also manufacture a round fiberglass timbe in addition to the shell shaped model. You can also acquire round rattan shields for use in the Matayoshi kobudo technique at www.bltsupplies.com or www.wle.com. Hope this helps.

Robby Bray
15th April 2008, 19:40
Donald Shapland Sensei makes very nice Timbe and Rochin sets. He will even hand script the Timbe with what ever you would like to say on it.

TimJurgens
17th April 2008, 15:27
Donald Shapland Sensei makes very nice Timbe and Rochin sets. He will even hand script the Timbe with what ever you would like to say on it.

I have one of Don's Tinbe, and it is beautiful.

If you are looking for the best, look no futher.

As Doug states, real fighting kit was often not as prety. If you are looking for something to bash around, then go cheap.

Harlan
17th April 2008, 15:33
An example:

http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread.php?p=362907&highlight=tinbe#post362907

This is a lovely 'tinbe'...but seems too nice to use for bunkai. I note in some other threads that 'tinbe' has some alternative spellings, and also are made of different materials. I'm currently looking for advice on how to construct a durable one for practice (similar to the one used here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKvSKBBN0ko&NR=1 ) and would appreciate any pointers to sources for constructing one.

thank you.

Nobody
1st May 2008, 21:36
I'd like to add an update on my list of timbei suppliers. I have been corresponding with Mr. Shapland regarding his timbei, but I also contacted Crane Mountain with an eye to a possibility of having them make a Matayoshi style timbei. I did contact Pam at Crane Mountain, but it turns out that they buy their timbei from Mr. Shapland and re-sell them. Wanted to make sure this is known, and if anyone knows anyone else who makes Matayoshi style timbei, any information would be appreciated by all. Thank you.

Robby Bray
2nd May 2008, 13:36
Hi Michael, just out of curiosity, what style of Kobudo do you or have you practiced? I know you are gathering information to write a book on the subject and have been doing a little research. If you live in Jacksonville we are in Ocala, only an hour and a half drive, so if you would like to stop by our dojo we have many of Shapland Sensei's Timbe and even a Matayoshi style hanging in the dojo. Our doors are always open to guests and encourage anyone who is interested in Ryukyu Kobudo to stop in. All are welcome. Our dojo is a non commercial dojo so everyone here is doing it because they truley love what we practice. My email is Robby@ocalatesshinkan.com if you would like to contact me directly.
Thanks

Nobody
2nd May 2008, 21:45
Hi Michael, just out of curiosity, what style of Kobudo do you or have you practiced? I know you are gathering information to write a book on the subject and have been doing a little research. If you live in Jacksonville we are in Ocala, only an hour and a half drive, so if you would like to stop by our dojo we have many of Shapland Sensei's Timbe and even a Matayoshi style hanging in the dojo. Our doors are always open to guests and encourage anyone who is interested in Ryukyu Kobudo to stop in. All are welcome. Our dojo is a non commercial dojo so everyone here is doing it because they truley love what we practice. My email is Robby@ocalatesshinkan.com if you would like to contact me directly.
Thanks

I don't practice any one style of kobudo. I originally practiced with the bo, sai, tonfa, nunchaku, and kama for about three years in the early eighties. I did most of this at home, because my instructor/boss at that time was prejudiced against anything not Korean. At that time I had to learn mostly from books, videos not being in plentiful supply at that time. I studied Seibukan karate in the early nineties and did practice some sai and bo with them, but it was not traditional weapons techniques. I went to two of Ms. Dometrich's seminars in 2003, and was able to train for about six months at that time. I busted up my knee working for my first instructor in 1997, and I wasn't able to have surgery to correct this deficiency until 2004. I picked up the weapons again in 2006, and have been training off and on since then, work and other considerations permitting. I did attend one of Mr. Woodard's seminars in early 2007, but prefer to play by myself mostly, because when you become a student of someone else, it has been my experience that you have to put up with their prejudices, agenda, and attitudes. Another (and perhaps more pertinent) reason is that I have certain weapons and kata on my life list, and all of these are not contained within any one school, association, or organization. I'm currently practicing four days a week, usually in the morning before I go to work, with the bo, sai, tonfa, nunchaku, tekkos, techu, sanbon nunchaku, suruchin (techniques only), and chizinkunbo (ditto). I've been working on these for about two years now, and I think that that will be enough for another couple of years.

I thank you for your kind offer, and Mr. Hodges has also invited me to the Anthony dojo, and I very much appreciate the invitations, but at this time I am not really able to make excursions to other schools. This does not have anything to with what I said earlier, but at this time I am working, practicing piano six days a week, training four days a week, working on the book full bore, and working on the activities of daily living. With these considerations, and the price of gas, I am not really able to get anywhere out of town at this time. Thank you for your invitation, and I hope that this answers your questions.