PDA

View Full Version : Ihai and Sarugaku

joe yang
14th July 2001, 18:24
Is anyone possibly familiar with Ihai, Japanese sword theater? It is a form of Sarugaku, Japanese street theater. It was at its peek in the middle ages, 1300's to 1500's. Today it is referenced in works on Noh and Kabuki, but generally regarded as a "lost" art. My research into related forms in China and Korea suggest that Ihai may have survived into the early 20th century in rural pockets of Japan, at least in memory.

In brief, Ihai is a dramatic presentation of "sword tricks" mixed with illusions. In fact there is a small body of sword tricks in the general arcana of magic and illusions. What elevates the Japanese form is the inclusion of escapes and the very austere presentation of early Noh drama.

What I am looking for is personal or antecdotal recollection of any kind of sword stunts. To date I have found it possible to "deconstruct" some pretty farfetched stunts to recreate some pretty dramatic theater. Anything would help.

John Lindsey
14th July 2001, 20:03
I know the Shugenja walked on ladders made out of swords. That is supposed to be an old "trick." The only other one I have seen is when someone grabs the blade of a sword tightly, and then has an assistant tie it in place with a sash. Then, he calmly pulls the sword off the hand without cutting it.

BTW, welcome to e-budo!

joe yang
14th July 2001, 21:59
Houdini called it the "Mexican Sword Ladder" and went on to describe it in detail. It's a "trick", but a good one. It takes skill and nerve, because the swords are razor sharp. But tying a sword to the hand and drawing it. I'm excited, I never heard of it, in 20 years of research. It sounds like Ihai, and very Japanese. There used to be troupe of magicians called Ten Ichi who did illusions with their hands tied. I reconstructed another stunt, where a naked blade is laid across the "artists" feet, the hands are bound. With a kiya, the hands magically fall free, with a leap, the sword flies into the air, the bare blade is grabbed, and raised over head in triumph. I know it sounds like really bad budo, done right it is impressive. I'd love to get more details on the Shugenja. I admit I never heard of them.

John Lindsey
14th July 2001, 23:19
The sword and fist stunt is not too hard. Line up the edge with the second joint of the fingers. Tense the fist, especially the web between the thumb and first finger. Then after someone ties it on tight, you just relax your hand and you can find enough clearance to slide it out.