PDA

View Full Version : USMAA?

Mokushin
6th July 2000, 17:09
I was curious as to what everyone's opinions were regarding the United States Martial Arts Association?

My opinion is they are trying to do a good thing by bringing people together in a respectable, traditional organization and it seems to represent a cross section of martial artists. There are respected budoka such as Walter Von Krenner, etc, and there are well, other dubious individuals in the organization.

One thing I feel would add credibility is a tougher entrance requirement. I believe as it stands now, it's an "on your honor" system, without verification of present rank or menkyo. What does everyone think?

MarkF
7th July 2000, 10:23
Ian,
You did the right thing in adding Association to the name as I am sure you know of the USMAF. I made that mistake once and got nailed by an officer from the USMAF. We are on friendly speaking terms, though.

I fully expect to hear from Jeff Cook, as he is on the board of the USMA, but this is my take on it. Jeff knows how I feel so do not get the impression that I am attacking him in any way.

The head of this org. is none other than Phil Porter, the former head of the US armed forces Judo Association, now known as the USJA. The JA went to court in 1960s to break the "headlock" the USJF had on the Americn judo community. Fairly recently, Porter was fired (voted out by the other members of the board) for his habit of selling rank certificates. He then formed the USMA association and has continued to solicite membership in much the same way, including going around other orgs. of other arts to sign a member. He is today, referred to as O sensei, and I believe the reason is that this is because of all his "organizational" talent. Indeed, there are some heavyweights who are members, as is an old mentor of mine, Gene Lebell. Much has been said about the ease in being ranked in that organization (I think Jeff, as well, is against Phil's actions in this matter), and the number of "honorary" tenth dans (judan) proves this. Some have none or little experience in the art in which they hold high dan rank but are given these ranks "organizationally." Phil seems to have taken the habit of signing his mail with "O sensei" as if it were a name, as he hadn't been signing his name other than O sensei.

On a more personal note, I happen to disagree with both organizations in the way they do business, but that does not mean I have any disrespect for the person who holds these ranks (I can't. Not with Gene being a member). On a historical note, I believe that this in no way is a hinderance to good MA, as I am a "member" of that small club which began with Jigoro Kano (this is only meant in a descriptive manner. There is no such org.) and I am mainly unafiliated (other than a life membership in an international one).

So this is just a light sketch of Phil Porter and the USMA Assoc. I do not agree, but as you say, there are some very good people who belong to this organization, so, for the members I know, in particular, in person and, a few good friends, that many went there because of the disgust with the politics inherent in MA. This is understandable. Hoever, the course which this org. has taken, leads no where, I'm afraid, at least it does if you compare this to that. Mostly, they are pretty interchangeable, except for the grading process, if there is one. I believe some of these honorary ranks should not be used (as we all know, most rank above godan is honorary in all of these organizations) by one who has little or know manner in which to back up its claim. My discalimer is that it is my personal opinion and certainly am not taking any member to task over this, except Mr. Porter. He should know better.

7th July 2000, 13:10
As Mark already stated, my only problem with the USMAA is that Phil Porter is involved. I was a big supporter of Phil's when he ran the USJA. I thought he did some imaginative things to revitalize judo in the U.S. As such, my club raised a lot of money to donate to the USJA, somewhere around $5,000. Unfortunately, there was apparently a lot of financial improprieties at the USJA national office. I understand there are funds which still can not be accounted for, and after Phil left, the USJA national judo center was almost closed for lack of operating capital. Literally millions are missing and unaccounted for along with Phil's departure. I won't be duped again!

efb8th
10th July 2000, 02:27
Phil Porter began his studies of Judo in 1951 with Sensei Walter Todd of Oakland, California. After he joined the Air Force (in which he rose to the rank of Major) he was a dojomate and friend to George Harris (with Sensei Todd), Ben Campbell (at Sacramento Judo Club), Geoff Gleeson and Charlie Palmer (at the Budokwai in London under Gungi Koizumi and Trevor Leggett, the first non-Asian Rokudan).

Under the auspices of the U.S. Air Force, he trained under S. Kotani (Judan, Kodokan), T. Otaki and S. Nakabayashi. Kotani Sensei after teaching Major Porter and seeing him fight, personally awarded him Yondan. In his studies at the Kodokan, he learned from K. Kudo (Kudan), K. Mifune (Judan) and many other direct students of Dr. Kano.

He was instrumental in bringing Geoff Gleeson and Anton Geesink to America to teach in the early '70s. He was appointed a member of the Consultative Committee of Referees for the '64 Olympics in Tokyo and refereed the match in which A. Geesink won the World Championship in'65.

He was instrumental in founding the Air Force Judo Assn., the Armed Forces Judo Assn., the United States Judo Assn., and the USMA. He has coached the US Olympic Team. He has trained literally hundreds of National, Regional and International Champions. He gives over two hundred clinics per year, often teaching two seminars a day. At the age of 78 years, he went to the World Senior Games in Toronto, and not satisfied with an uncontested walk-over in his age class, he gave away 13 years to fight the 65 year old German National Team Coach who decisioned him by yuko!

Next year, he will celebrate 50 years of Judo! If you can submit your qualifications to criticize this man, do so, but remember to thank him every time you put on a Judogi.

He is the American Kodokan, and very few give him the credit he deserves.

I have known him for thirty years, and I am proud to be his friend and student, and prouder still to have been graded Rokudan by him. You were right about one thing, though. I bought my belt. But I paid twenty years of active competition, Twenty years of leading Taihei Yukikan Dojo, and thirty-three years of sweat and blood!

It was a high price, but it was enough.

MarkF
10th July 2000, 09:21
Far be it from me, but wasn't this a thread concerning the USMAA? As for O sensei, if he is the American Kodokan then shouldn't he have waited to be called O sensei by them first?

Joseph Svinth
10th July 2000, 10:03
Odd -- after winning the US Master's competition for thirteen years in a row, Vince Tamura decided to quit. You know why? No competition in that division, the former US AAU champion said. But then he's just a 7-dan who was doing World Cups in Japan in 1957 (he lost to Anton Geesink), and a man who knows better than to let his sisters, wife, or sisters-in-law see any letters signed O-Sensei.

Meanwhile, in Los Angeles, Ken Kuniyuki's only an 8-dan. Mr. Kuniyuki got his 3-dan from Iizuka-S in Japan during the 1930s and shares the honor of being the first US Kodokan 6-dan with San Francisco's Mits Kimura. That was circa 1950, I think it was. Anyway, during the 1960s neither man raced to the mailbox with the check that the Kodokan requires for promotions and of course being the head of Yudanshakai for sixty years or so isn't nearly as important to getting promotions as filing your paperwork on time. But with luck both gentlemen will live another couple years (both are mid-80s), and as a result become the first Kodokan 9-dans in the United States.

Chuck Clark
10th July 2000, 16:05
I have known, watched, and been affected by Mr. Porter for about 40 years. I also have the good joss to have "laid hands on" all of the gentlemen that Joe mentioned above. I would go quite a distance if necessary to listen to whatever these sensei have to say, and when I see Mr. Porter's name or hear him mentioned, I just reach back to make sure my wallet is in my pocket.

I, for one, am proud that I don't have his name on my last promotion.

ss29515
10th July 2000, 18:25
Speaking of Vince Tamura, there has been talk of Ace Sukigara taking over Vince's Dallas Invitational Tournament. Vince holds the tournament every November right after Thanksgiving. It's one of the biggest tournaments in Texas. It's the biggest I've ever been to. My club, Kodokan Judo of Bedford, always runs a table at the tournament. Ace is a 7th dan now. I know he came over from Japan in the early 60s to teach judo. He's been influential in Texas judo ever since.

MarkF
11th July 2000, 09:38
The fact that it must be explained why Porter is called O sensei is reason enough for folks to be careful. I hadn't the opportunity to work out with those mentioned above, but I did have the opportunity to "workout" with Porter. Let's just say that he is a nice man with delusions of grandeur, not to mention a fat wallet as well.

Jeff Cook
13th July 2000, 11:18
Being on the board of directors of the USMA, I have to admit that Mr. Porter is a helluva fund raiser. Everybody who forks over money to the organization does so willingly and with full knowledge of the process, both the "shady" members and the well-known and well-respected members. As for how the funds are managed, I do not have access to that information. I simply do not know how Phil manages the funds he collects. It is not a topic we discuss; I and my club receive the support that the organization promises to provide.

As for Phil's title, I can understand why some folks find that offensive. Personally, I do not use that title when addressing Phil; I have called him many things (some labels I have used in a fit of pique!) and he responds equally well to all of them, with good humor and attitude.

With that said, there are many, many people in the organization that I have deep respect for. I have met the most fascinating, knowledgeable, and supportive people I have ever known. And I firmly believe that these people will be instrumental to the success of the organization in the future. That is why I still support the organization.

Jeff Cook
Wabujitsu

18th July 2000, 21:42
Dear Mr. Burgess,

I can certainly understand why as a rokudan you feel somehow indebted to Phil Porter. However, I don't and do not consider it necessary to thank him or anyone else when I put on my judogi.

You want me to submit my qualifications to criticize Phil? Okay, I've been involved in judo for more than 30 years and have never stolen money from anyone or misappropriated any donated funds for my personal use. I may not be as pure as the driven snow, but I am not a thief, either. Is that good enough for you? It should be.

Vince Tamura was one of my instructors. In my mind, there is someone who has dedicated his life to judo and never tried to put one over on those who placed their trust in him. By comparison, Phil Porter doesn't even deserve to walk on the same tatami.

By the way, I never questioned Mr. Porter's judo skills, only his dubious ethics and questionable accounting practices while he was the USJA's leader. I won't have anything to do with the USMAA since he is associated with it, so I am not prepared to judge his administrative skills with this new organization.

"He is the American Kodokan, and very few give him the credit he deserves."

I'll allow him credit for his judo accomplishments, but I wouldn't trust him with handling any money.

[Edited by budokai on 07-18-2000 at 03:51 PM]

MarkF
19th July 2000, 08:22
Phil has a lot of judo knowledge and talking with him was certainly far from bad. He successfully led a break away from the United States Judo Federation by forming the United Stated Judo Association out of the US Armed Forces Judo Association. Whether that was bad or good is open to interpretation. Loyalty begins at home no matter which side of the fence you are on, and the USMA has a big chunk of supporters, but Don has said pretty much how I feel about him and the USMAA. Jeff Cook's loyalty to something in which he has some disagreement is commendable. There is a Website for the USMAA. Note the number of kudan and judan members.

BTW: The site is located at: http://www.mararts.org

[Edited by MarkF on 07-19-2000 at 04:43 AM]