PDA

View Full Version : Aikido of Dallas ...

pgsmith
19th July 2001, 17:09
Hi Guys,
My wife is thinking of starting Aikido, she has been studying jujutsu for about 18 months. My question for y'all (I am Texan) is have you heard anything about Aikido of Dallas, their instructor Bob Mason (3rd Dan) or their affiliations, United States Aikido Federation and the Midwest Aikido Federation. Any information you have is a help as Aikido is fast becoming the latest rage and it seems that half the Kayrahtee doejoes are now offering to teach Aikido, and I would not want her to be taken for a ride. (she's a trusting soul).

Many Thanks!

Anne Marie
19th July 2001, 20:56
If you want to know more about the USAF-- United States Aikido Federation, you can go to http://www.aikidoonline.com Click on dojo listings and the link to the USAF will come up. Once you get there you will see there are three regions, East, West and MidWest. Aikido of Dallas is in the midwest region.

I'm from Florida and train with Florida Aikikai with Peter Bernath. I have been with Florida Aikikai for a year and a half and I have been very satisfied to the depth of knowledge of my instructors and the quality of instruction that I have received. The USAF is very reputable and so you can be assured its not some fly-by-night fad dojo. If you talk to the instructor and ask about his qualifications he should be more than willing to share them with you. If you want to verfiy which shihan he is affiliated with you should be able to find them listed on Aikido Online.

In the USAF there are three types of teaching licenses. Fukushidoin, assistant instructor; Shidoin, certified instructor; and Shihan, master instructor. (I'm not sure how these are awarded but the sensei at the school should) The rank of sandan is the last rank tested for in the USAF and any rank higher is administrative and relates to the sensei's contribution to the spread of aikido.

As far as the Midwest Aikido Federation. I'm not sure if that is a separate organization or just the branch of the USAF. Since I'm in Florida, we are part of the Eastern Division. If it is truely separate, once again, ask the sensei about it. Someone who is reputable should not be offended in you asking questions about what the nature and purpose of the Federation is.

I hope that helps. If you have further questions, and want to hear from more experience aikidoka, go to http://www.aikiweb.com There is a great forums section and you should be able to get answers to your questions there.

Take care,
Anne Marie Giri

Don Cunningham
19th July 2001, 22:29
If it is the same group that used to practice on Saturdays at Vince Tamura's judo school down near Bachman Lake, they are good people. I used to watch them practice after our judo classes many, many years ago.

dakotajudo
20th July 2001, 04:43
Originally posted by pgsmith

<snip>
My question for y'all (I am Texan) is have you heard anything about Aikido of Dallas, their instructor Bob Mason (3rd Dan) or their affiliations, United States Aikido Federation and the Midwest Aikido Federation.
<snip>

I trained with a Midwest Aikido Federation group in Des Moines. I'd gone to a couple seminars and met some people in the MAF and other divisions in the USAF, the're a pretty good bunch.

The Midwest Aikido Federation was lead by the late Tohei Akira, who was the highest ranked Akikai shihan in America while he was living. He oversaw all aikido in the midwest.

I took my 5th kyu (lowest rank in the Aikikai) from Tohei sensei, who was a 8th degree black belt at the time. Since Tohei sensei oversaw all examinations in the MAF, I would assume Bob Mason also tested before Tohei sensei.

The MAF/USAF are pretty closely affiliated with the Aikido Hombu in Japan, and tend to follow the later teachings of Aikido's founder Ueshiba Morihei. If your wife has had some jujutsu she might be more comfortable with a style of aikido headed by one of Ueshiba's earlier students, such as Yoshinkan or Shodokan Aikido.

I was at the Midwest Aikido Center's 15th anniversary celebration in 1989. They hosted a seminar featuring the Doshu (son of the founder), as well as the USAF shihans from throughout the country.

I'm not sure what the status of the MAF has been since Tohei sensei passed away. I was just started to renew contacts within the MAF at about that time, when Tohei's illness caused a couple seminars to be cancelled, and I've since gotten more involved in judo.

However, you can pretty sure that by training with a MAF or USAF affiliated club that you're only one or two teachers removed from the found of aikido.

Peter

Jack B
20th July 2001, 15:55
Originally posted by dakotajudo
The MAF/USAF are pretty closely affiliated with the Aikido Hombu in Japan, and tend to follow the later teachings of Aikido's founder Ueshiba Morihei. If your wife has had some jujutsu she might be more comfortable with a style of aikido headed by one of Ueshiba's earlier students, such as Yoshinkan or Shodokan Aikido.

There are two Tomiki style groups in north Dallas: the Dallas Aikido Club, instructor Mark Morgan 4 dan, meets at the Campbell Green Recreation Center at Campbell and Hillcrest on Wednesday night and Saturday afternoon. This is a Fugakukai club teaching Tomiki's katas and randori aikido. They are good people. The other is Kokura Dojo in Richardson, instructor Will Schutt 2 dan, Jiyushinkai. Neither group does tournament competitions. Both expand on Tomiki's focus on kuzushi and other technical principles.

Hope this helps!

Jack Bieler
Denton TX

Phil Hobson
25th July 2001, 01:39
Don Cunningham wrote:
If it is the same group that used to practice on Saturdays at Vince Tamura's judo school down near Bachman Lake, they are good people. I used to watch them practice after our judo classes many, many years ago.

Don, and others,

The group which met at Tamura's still exists. They are now North Texas Aikido, and they have a dojo in Allen, Texas. As one of their students, I recommend them highly. You can see their website at

www.northtexasaikido.com (http://www.northtexasaikido.com)

It is an Iwama style dojo, and the dojo-cho has spent time in Iwama with Saito sensei.

I don't know enough about the other aikido schools in the Dallas area, but North Texas is worth a looksee, especially if you are already in the Plano area.

Hope this helps.

Phil Hobson

BC
26th July 2001, 20:00
I currently train in a Midwest Aikido Federation dojo, and feel the quality of instruction and its members is outstanding. The MAF is also the USAF Midwest Region of the USAF. I believe it is called the MAF because Akira Tohei Sensei founded the MAF prior to the formation of the USAF by Y. Yamada Sensei in the seventies.

Also, I believe that Aikido of Dallas is part of the USAF Eastern Region now. However, I could be wrong. Regardless of their current affiliation, I've visited the dojo and practiced with their members at seminars, and highly recommend checking them out. I don't think your wife would be disappointed. Best of luck!

pgsmith
2nd August 2001, 19:00
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone that replied. I have passed along all of your comments and recommendations. She hasn't picked a dojo yet, but seems to be leaning toward Bill Sosa and his I.A.A. out in Oak Cliff. Thanks again folks!