PDA

View Full Version : Katori vs. Katori

John Lindsey
20th July 2001, 20:14
I was recently reviewing a video of a demo that Sugino Sensei and his students did of their art, and it struck me that although I could recognize the kata as being of Katori Shinto-ryu origin, they were different. Granted, my observation is based on limited exposure, but I think I am on to something here. They appeared different in the speed, intensity, and spirit compared to the videos I have seen of Otake Sensei and his students.

I have always been impressed by Otake Sensei’s execution of the kata, and in many ways such spirited kata are not too common these days, especially during embu. While Sugino’s demo was impressive, it really didn’t strike me as being anything special, unlike the feeling I get from Otake. I am not taking anything away from Sugino or his legacy, its just that his interpretion of the kata appears to be different…

Comments?

Meik Skoss
20th July 2001, 23:04
Yeah, I a couple of comments.

Sugino S. was how old when he performed the techniques that you saw? In his 70s, 80s, or 90s? Otake S. is now 76+/- and in very good health the last I heard, but he no longer does embu in public because he doesn't feel that his physical abilities are up to the standards he holds, of so I've heard. Whatever. Whichever guy you look at, they're both pretty exceptional men and deserve a great deal of respect.

That being said, don't folks think it's time to stop beating a dead horse? I mean, since very few people posting are members of the ryu, what contribution does all this blathering make in the long run?