PDA

View Full Version : Ankle sprain

Soulend
20th July 2001, 19:34
Hey everyone. About two months ago I sprained my ankle pretty well while jogging. I had to go on crutches for about a week and I still keep my ACE wrap on. I wear a neoprene ankle brace while training. An X-Ray shows no breakage, but still the bottom of my foot hurts if I spend a lot of time on my feet. My occupation kind of prevents me from kicking back with my feet up.

The docs pretty much can't do much except to give me a bunch of Motrin. Does anyone here have experience with ankle spains or ligament tears that can offer any advice? Is it normal for it to take this long to heal?

NoMan
21st July 2001, 09:31
Originally posted by Soulend
Hey everyone. About two months ago I sprained my ankle pretty well while jogging. I had to go on crutches for about a week and I still keep my ACE wrap on. I wear a neoprene ankle brace while training. An X-Ray shows no breakage, but still the bottom of my foot hurts if I spend a lot of time on my feet. My occupation kind of prevents me from kicking back with my feet up.

The docs pretty much can't do much except to give me a bunch of Motrin. Does anyone here have experience with ankle spains or ligament tears that can offer any advice? Is it normal for it to take this long to heal?

Well, only a doctor can really tell you, but I have a few questions. What level sprain is it? Is the area still swollen and/or tender? Have you ever had an ankle injury before?

John Lindsey
21st July 2001, 12:02
Many years ago I sprained my ankle during a parachute jump (landed in a foxhole during a night jump). I took me about 4 months till I was back to normal, but I had to watch it for a few years as well. But, mine might have been a bit worse than yours.

How much Motrin they giving you... 800 mg?

I am not sure if they give cortisone shots for sprains, but it cured my plantar fasciatis problem.

Soulend
21st July 2001, 14:25
They didn't mention a level of sprain, but it was extremely swollen and discolored-the whole foot about 1 1/2 normal size. The doctor's eyes were about 1 1/2 times normal when he looked at it, so I surmise that I did quite a number on it. It looks normal now, with full range of motion. But the pain continues in the arch of my foot. Yes, Mr. Lindsey it is 800 MG.
I have never sprained that ankle before, although I did the other one-also while running (gotta swear off that stuff).

I had been jogging and I set my foot down wrong, heard a horrible tearing sound and down I went. I feel a bit silly asking about it here, but the doctors say everything looks normal. I have started taking MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane) on my own in the hopes that it will help the repair. I just have the "Will this stupid thing ever heal!?!?" syndrome right now.

I was just hoping maybe someone knew of something that I can get or do to help it along.