PDA

View Full Version : "Rules" for Succession in Koryu

Nathan Scott
7th July 2000, 07:39
Hello all,

I know this sounds suspiciously like another thread here, but it isn't!

I have a question for those of you out there with solid koryu knowledge:

If a given koryu's current Soke dies without naming a successor for their art (for whatever reason), are there "laws", or hard rules based on historical example that states/demonstrates that the most logical blood family member MUST assume the headmaster position by default?

This sounds like a logical option, but is it *specifically* required to be so by law or custom? A ryu-ha is supposed to be a family held blood transmission of knowledge in theory, but we all know that has not always been the case. Students are adopted into the family, or senpai simply adopt or are given the Soke's family name, or a generation or more of hon-ke is skipped while (hopefully) the current shihan-ke/Menkyo Kaiden holders continue instruction until the next generation of the kakei is ready to succeed. But alot of these decisions have been made while the current Soke is still alive, it seems to me.

One knowledgable Budoka I've asked about this explained numerous scenarios, and ended by saying that it's "case by case", but does anyone know of specific rules or laws that dictate that the closest blood family member has to succeed a Soke should they die without indicating a successor?

It seems to me that if the Soke had intended for a current family member to succeed him, they would have already set things up that way and groomed them for the position. Also, if there is nobody specifically "suited" to handle the position at the time of the Soke's death, it would seem logical (while perhaps not ideal) to allow a one-generation break in the family line. The Shihan-ke continue instruction and groom the next family generation for the position.

Please let me know your educated opinions on this matter either here or privately if you prefer.

While some of you may know why I'm asking this specific question, I'd prefer to not re-hash the whole thing out here as well and name names!

Thanks,

[Edited by Nathan Scott on 07-07-2000 at 01:44 AM]

Joseph Svinth
7th July 2000, 11:11
"Rules? In a knife fight? No rules!" (Harvey to Butch, "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid," script by William Goldman.)

Diane Skoss
7th July 2000, 19:26
Hi Nathan,

I certainly never heard of any "laws" or "official rules" regarding the passing on of traditional arts in Japan. In my experience it is very much a case by case thing; in fact, virtually no two situations are alike. There have been plenty of cases where non-family members took over a ryuha--and I'm not sure that it has always been that ryu descended along family lines. Some ryuha do; some don't anymore; some never have.

I suppose that this doesn't necessarily mean that there aren't any such laws, but they certainly are not used by the koryu with which I am familiar.

For what it is worth!

Nathan Scott
10th July 2000, 17:44
Thanks for the help!'

MarkF
11th July 2000, 09:58
I suppose it is somewhat like keeping that strange uncle locked in the closet until there is no reason to speak of him anymore. No family succession could possibly remain so pure as to hand something down this important to Uncle when the family knows he will be the destruction of the family business.