PDA

View Full Version : politics

budo_student
28th July 2001, 07:41
Hello:

I know this isn't the best question to ask and I doubt I get an answer but does politics exist in Shorinji Kempo? In every art that I have trained in, politics was everywhere (promotion, tournaments, etc.)

Stephan Badamo

George Hyde
30th July 2001, 16:05
Hi Stephan,

The dictionary says, "Politics: the art or science of government". Since Shorinji Kempo is a well established art, governed by an international organisation charged with the responsibility of ensuring the integrity of its teachings and instructors, the answer is 'yes'. There are plenty of rules, regulations, minimum standards, etc., etc.

However, I suspect that the kind of 'politics' you refer to are of the self-serving, personal nature. The kind that seem to be designed to get in the way of what you're trying to achieve in order to promote or protect the interests of individuals. Whilst the various national federations within the World Shorinji Kempo Organisation are no strangers to internal disagreements over direction and management, there are notably fewer 'egos' at work. I think that this is thanks in no small part to the absence of the 'profit motive'.

Policy decisions are inevitably made in consideration of the majority, which by necessity leaves a minority in possible contention. Whether you look upon politics in an organisation as good or bad, a help or a hindrance, depends entirely on your perspective. In Shorinji Kempo there is plenty of room for the individual's personal perspective/opinion and the willingness to give it due consideration.

Of course, anyone who disagrees is more than welcome, indeed encouraged, to comment here...

Right... I'm off out to kiss a few babies. :kiss:

Later,

budo_student
31st July 2001, 01:53
Thank you very much for your response.

Stephan Badamo