PDA

View Full Version : Street Effectiveness

steve watts
28th July 2001, 14:59
Hello
I have noticed that there is a fair bit of discussion in the martial art press and here in E-Budo about the effectiveness of martial art techniques in real life confrontations. Personally, I hope never to find myself in such a situation. However, for curiosity’s sake, I would like to know how effective Shorinji kempo is in such circumstances. So, does anyone have any personal experience(s) that they would like to share? What do you all think does Shorinji kempo stand up on the streets?

Regards

Steve Watts

George Hyde
30th July 2001, 15:16
Hi Steve,

Originally posted by steve watts
I would like to know how effective Shorinji kempo is in such circumstances.

I think this is possibly the most frequently asked question in any MA forum. The simple answer is that there is no answer. The 'result' of any confrontation (be it street, tournament or whatever) speaks only of the individuals involved (under those particular circumstances) and not the discipline they practice.

Like all martial arts, Shorinji Kempo is not a cloak of steel or a secret weapon you pull from your pocket. If you expect 'it' to perform in such a manner you're in for a big surprise. The question shouldn't be "Does SK have what it takes to stand up to a street situation?" but instead, "Do I have what it takes...?"

Originally posted by steve watts
So, does anyone have any personal experience(s) that they would like to share?

Since starting SK I've had a number of experiences, the vast majority of which did not involve any physical contact. In the one 'serious' instance that did, I suffered a stab wound to the chest and spent a week in hospital recovering from a collapsed lung. Does that mean that SK is no good? If anything can be learned from that (and believe me, it was an extremely educational experience for me) it's that at that time, under those circumstances, I was not up to the challenge - not Shorinji Kempo.

Having said that - I've yet to find any other discipline with a more considered and comprehensive approach to practical application.

Anyone else?