PDA

View Full Version : Weak ankles and wrists

Peisho
1st August 2001, 15:21
Hello.
Every time I do alot of pull ups my wrists hurt for a couple days. And every time I land from a high place my ankles always get sprained or fractured.
Anyone know a good herbal remedie or excercise to help my ankles and wrists get stronger?

NoMan
9th August 2001, 07:34
Originally posted by Peisho
Hello.
Every time I do alot of pull ups my wrists hurt for a couple days. And every time I land from a high place my ankles always get sprained or fractured.
Anyone know a good herbal remedie or excercise to help my ankles and wrists get stronger?

Well, for starters, consult a physician. The first sounds like a symptom of tendonitis, which can be cured using aspirin or another anti-inflammatory. With the second part, the more you injure a bodypart, the greater its changes of re-injury. If you are constantly injuring your ankle, it sounds like you either have a problem with your ankle, you don't know how to land, or you need better shoes for ankle support. Do you have a history of ankle/joint injuries? You may be too flexible around the joints, which causes them to be less stable.

Davemdh
24th August 2001, 02:00
This does sound a lot like tendonitis actually. As for strengthening them I have found a wobble board to be gods own invention for ankle stregth and balance improving.

Hope this helps

Dave

MarkF
24th August 2001, 10:46
Well, stop doing so many pull ups and don't jump from high places!

The one thing I found to be true in the above posts is you probably aren't healing correctly. It isn't a science, healing, it's personal. Everyone heals at a different rate.

Simple X-rays, or the more expensive bone-scan or MRI can tell you lots of things, but I first thought of osteoporosis, a degenerative weakening of the bone, similar to osteomalacia, osteopenia, and lots of other stuff.

What you should do first is get a working diagnosis and work from there. I've had a weak ankle (well, both now, actually) from some thirty-five years ago (smashed it to smithereens) in my judo dojo. They don't hurt, they just don't support me as the used to.

I didn't listen either when they told me to rest, not with the championships coming up. They said three months off the mat after the cast came off, and I went back in three weeks. One of many reasons for retirement.

As to treatment, conservatively without hormones or other drugs ( although it seems as if you are going to go down that road eventually) is lots of calcium, preferably in the form of chloride, or bone or eggshell sources, which all have some Calc Chloride. Make sure to take a minimum of fat soluable Vit. D with it, or your body won't accept it (400-800 IU). If it doesn't sound appealing, then take two tums Ultra (1000mgs ea.) daily. It tastes better and you can chew it (lots of sugar, so brush your teeth).

For the other problem, and to keep your joints healthy is Glucosamine HCL/sulfate complex with chondroitin, and MSM.

If you are young, you still have a good chance, and if not, well, you can help to slow it down.

Some forms of osteoporosis are caused by too little excercise such as when healing for long periods in the hospital or if you have ever been in space for long periods weightless.:) OK, it's cute, but it is true.

The wrists do sound as some form of overuse injury, so really, stop the pullups. Get that checked, aspirin is your best bet, but make sure you don't take it on an empty stomach.

IMO, the rest don't hold a candle to aspirin, even most prescription drugs. It is a natural substance (from salicylate trees).

Mark

Joe Kras
28th August 2001, 22:47
***THE FOLLOWING IS NOT MEANT AS MEDICAL ADVICE. iT IS MEANT AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY. NO MEDICAL ADVICE CAN BE GIVEN WITHOUT EXAMINING A PATIENT***

That being said, your reaction to normal sounding activity seems a bit out of line.

I, too, would recommend you seek a physician's advice.

But I would not start any supplemental Calcium until after seeing a physician. They may want to draw some blood and check things like your free Calcium level as well as other things to check for such rareties as hyperparathyroidism or mucopolysacharide diseases.

I don't think it real likely that you have these, but depending on how out of proportion the injury is to the insult, it might be a good idea.

Joe Kras

Jay Bell
28th August 2001, 23:08
Along with everyone else, I would also consult your physician. Beyond calcium, I would also add liquid vitamin C to your intake. Taking 1000mg with breakfast and again at dinner. The body will get rid of the excess vitamin C (no buildup).

Vitamin C not only strengthens the connective tissues of the body dramatically, but also aids in the healing of the body.

Good luck!

Jay

Jay Bell
31st August 2001, 14:04
Yes ;)