PDA

View Full Version : Isshin-ryu Aikijujutsu?

WarriorAssasin
2nd August 2001, 06:17
Does anyone out there know of Isshinryu aikijujutsu and where
there is a teacher ?

Thanks

Roger Lake
10th August 2001, 15:11
First, you would have to explain what "Isshin-ryu Aikijujutsu" is. Could that be Okinawan aiki?

Roger Lake

WarriorAssasin
14th August 2001, 04:26
Thats why I was asking :)

I have heard of the style and was wondering about it.

Thanks

Brett Sommerville

Nathan Scott
16th August 2001, 23:24
Hello,

The only Isshin ryu I've ever heard of is the karate style.

Regards,

pboylan
18th August 2001, 12:36
I don't know about a Daito Ryu branch called Isshin Ryu, but along with Isshin Ryu karate, there is also Isshin Ryu Jutte. It's one of the fuzokuryu arts connected to Shinto Muso Ryu jodo.

Peter Boylan
Mugendo Budogu LLC
Martial Arts Books, Videos and Equipment from Japan
http://www.budogu.com

Victor
18th August 2001, 17:42
While I have not heard of Isshinryu Aikijujutsu, as a practitioner of Isshinryu (the karate) I strongly suspect this system may be one of the new 'hybred' styles. Perhaps created for 'Soke-dom', or perhaps out of a sincere study from different instructors.

The interesting thing is, the core of Aiki is already contained within Isshinryu the karate. Kata such as Chinto (descended from Kyan) and it turning movements can be found to contain almost the entire Aikido curriculum if one rigorously applies the study of movement application potential to the kata technique. Of course this potential exists in all systems from the same lineage, too.

It would be interesting to see what course of study this system offers.

Victor Smith
Bushi No Te Isshinryu
www.funkydragon.com/bushi

MarkF
19th August 2001, 09:56
Originally posted by pboylan
I don't know about a Daito Ryu branch called Isshin Ryu, but along with Isshin Ryu karate, there is also Isshin Ryu Jutte. It's one of the fuzokuryu arts connected to Shinto Muso Ryu jodo.

Peter Boylan
Mugendo Budogu LLC
Martial Arts Books, Videos and Equipment from Japan
http://www.budogu.com

I don't think the topic poster was asking about DR, just a style which called it's base art aikijujutsu.

In the last few years, the "aiki" concepts have sprouted like a fire made with matches.

It indeed could be the "soke-dom" aspect or a sincere effort, or even one of the near dead koryu which seem to keep a light burning in the window (could be a red light, as ai-ki has many definitions).

Jason Chambers
19th August 2001, 14:48
The book, Secrets Of The Samurai, makes reference to a "koryu" ryuha called Isshin Ryu whose specialty was chained weapons.

I remember my asking a similar question a while back in the Ryukyu Forum. It is not related to the Okinawan style of karate.

I suppose you could search under Isshin Ryu in that forum to find it.

Hope that helps a bit.

Nathan Scott
22nd August 2001, 00:39
Mr. Chambers,

Though your reference may be correct, I should warn you that the book "Secrets of the Samurai", by Ratti/Westbrook is known to contain pretty shotty research. Some info is good, while other areas are misleading or just plain wrong. especially in regards to the accuracy of the illustrations.

Thanks to all who offered replies to this thread.

Regards,

Jason Chambers
22nd August 2001, 09:07
NOOO!

Not the Samurai Bible?! False? Misleading? I can't believe it... LOL!

JOKING!!!!

It was just something that I read once in that book... there was talk of it here though.