PDA

View Full Version : BUDO DOCUMENTARY- check here

Jason Backlund
8th July 2000, 09:33
I saw the TLC MA documentary tonight, and it reminded me of another video I have. It's an older documentary entitled "Budo- The Art of Killing," and it is quite simply the best show on Nihon Budo I have ever seen. It is about an hour and a half long and was filmed entirely in Japan.

Featuring- Nakamura Taizaburo (Kenjutsu), Okano Isao (Judo), Shioda Gozo (Aikido- a former uchi deshi of Ueshiba Osensei), Noda Fumiko (Naginatado), Kaneko Iekata (Yabusame), Shin Kage Ryu practitioners, Sumo wrestlers, Karateka and more.

Highlights include- A great opening scene of seppuku with the assistance of a kaishaku; plenty of tameshigiri and kumitachi by Nakamura sensei and a host of others; Nihonto smiths at work; bottle, brick and board breaking; a young sumo wrestler getting smacked around, held down, and forced into a split by several classmates; kendo shiai; naginatado shiai; battojutsu; kobudo weapons; quite a bit of Judo; and Shioda sensei proving the Aiki theory that little old guys can still kick @$$!

Like I said, it's the best I've seen. I'm willing to make a few copies if anyone is interested, although the quality won't be superb.

Jason Backlund
Kobushin Kai
Yamagata Ryu Bujutsu, Matsubara Ryu Bujutsu

Dojorat
8th July 2000, 15:11
Greetins Jason,

You forgot to mention my "favorite" scene, the Karatedo Sensei using a locomotive for a makiwara. I remember seeing a locomotive on outdoor exhibit at the Japanese Yushukan War Museum in Tokyo. I thought immediately of the scene in Budo. I didn't attempt any strikes tho' Just whistled a few bars from "The Bridge over the River Kwai"

Cheers,

Yamantaka
8th July 2000, 15:29
"[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jason Backlund
[B]Like I said, it's the best I've seen. I'm willing to make a few copies if anyone is interested, although the quality won't be superb."

You may count me in! Just give me your instructions.
Yamantaka

Ken Allgeier
8th July 2000, 16:58
There is other "vary good" video on the market sold by Dragon times called "Budosai" made for British TV and hosted by Terry O'Neill of Fighting Arts Internation magazine.

ken allgeier

Aric
8th July 2000, 18:51
I would *LOVE* a copy of that docu.

Please email me privately and I'll send you my info if you're seriously willing to send me one.

Thanks a million,

Aric Keith

ss29515
8th July 2000, 21:36
Jason,

Sounds like your documentary is one for me! The TLC one was interesting (I loved all the judo in it) but Japanese Budo is what I'm interested. Let me know what you want for the documentary.

thanks a bunch,

waza22
8th July 2000, 23:04
Gentlemen,
I have copies of both Budosai and Budo(The Art Of killing)
However I do not have the means of making copies.
If there is anybody close by to lend a hand it would be great. Lusby Maryland.
I bought both copies from a video store that was going out of business (lucky me)
Budo I would say is quite good and Budosai coming in a close second.

Regards,
William D. Gray
E-Mail grayshome@olg.com

waza22
8th July 2000, 23:21
P.S. A person who was overlooked in the lineup on the tape Budo is Shogo Kuniba. He taught in Virginia Beach and lived in Chesapeak Va. The styles he taught were Shito-Ryu karate, Mu-gai Ryu Hyo Do Iaijutsu and Kendo. Of which I only studied Iai. Great man and a wonderful Sensei.

Regards,
William D. Gray

Neil Hawkins
9th July 2000, 03:04
Yes Budo and the Art of Killing was/is good but I did find that it was a bit "arty" the music and the way some of the scenes were shot just was a bit too much for me, like the Karateka on the beach, too staged.

What about the scene in the Sumo stable where the young guy gets some assistance with his stretching, ouch! I know it's disrespectful but I still laugh during the tamishigiri section, Nakamura Sensei (I think) running down the line, screaming then cutting just as he runs out of breath! Sorry but I found it funny. As I said, it looks staged and artificial.

Whilst were talking of good doco's what's the consensus on 'The Way of the Warrior' the 8 part BBC series from some 15 or so years ago? I thought it was better than Budo but like all things lacked some depth, I could have watched more.

Regards

Neil

Gil Gillespie
9th July 2000, 04:36
Neil

An 8 part series that lacked depth? Aye yai yai! I'd like to see that one. Missed it though. Any clues where someone in central Florida (near Orlando) could view it?

Nah--me either. . .

Matthew W. Luedke
9th July 2000, 16:14
Neil,

I've heard of "The Way of the Warrior" from several people, and they all said they enjoyed it. About a year ago, I made an abortive attempt to find it. Any thoughts about a source for it?

Thanks for any assistance,

Joseph Svinth
9th July 2000, 22:37
According to the March 2000 "Announcements" at "Journal of Combative Sports," http://ejmas.com/jcs/jcsframe.htm ,

The BBC has produced a number of films related to martial arts; known topics include Shorinji kempo, kalaripayyatu, and the "Way of the Warrior" series described in Howard Reid and Michael Croucher, "The Fighting Arts: Great Masters of the Martial Arts" (New York: Simon and Schuster, 1983). I haven't checked the cost or availability, but copies of segments may be available via the BBC URL http://www.bbcfootage.com or by writing BBC Worldwide, 747 Third Avenue, 7th Floor, New York, NY 10017.

ghp
10th July 2000, 06:16
Neil,

! I know it's disrespectful but I still laugh during the tamishigiri section, Nakamura Sensei (I think) running down the line, screaming then cutting just as he runs out of breath!

Nakamura sensei said he made that video when he was still young -- 68. Try it yourself without being winded (and after shooting film all day) -- it's easy :D

I've another video of him (made from a tv program when he was in his early 50s) -- you wouldn't think he was winded then!
----

The other partner in the kumitachi section with Nakamura sensei is Tokutomi Tasaburo -- of the Morinaga faction of Toyama Ryu iaido. Tsunami videos is now selling a video of Tokutomi sensei performing Toyama Ryu iai as was taught by Morinaga sensei.
----

Another person not mentioned (unless I missed it) was Kuniba Shogo sensei's mentor, Hayashi Teruo. Both Kuniba and Hayashi sensei-gata perform some nice sword v. tonfa work.

Regards,
Guy

John Lindsey
10th July 2000, 13:55
http://www.samuraiflix.com has copies of Budo for sale. This is the same company that gives e-budo members $10 off of their 39.95 videos, so maybe if you are nice Mr. David will give you a discount on this one too :).

Michael Becker
10th July 2000, 23:40
Hello

Regarding the Way of the Warrior series, I recently sent out copies of the Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu episode to some people in Europe and the US ( I will be sending a copy out to a gentleman in Japan in the near future ).

Several people in the US that I sent copies to have said that they will be willing to do copies for intrested people.
It will take a few more weeks for people to sort out NTSC format copies, but I will post a message when they are available.

E Funderburg
11th July 2000, 02:14
Joseph Svinth mentioned that the "Way of the Warrior" series was described in a book called "The Fighting Arts...". That book is currently out of print. However, I have a copy of the book "The Way of the Warrior" by Reid and Croucher, and I know that book is still available. In the book's preface the authors state that they wrote it in order to expand on and further develop the work they did for the BBC documentary.

So if you can't get a copy of the documentary, or are interested in more detail :), you might check out the book.

Ellen Funderburg

Greg Palmer
25th July 2000, 10:28
I have a complete set of the Way of the Warrior tapes. They were taped from the Australian SBS showing some years ago. They are currently in PAL format and I live in Perth Western Australia. If you have no success anywhere else contact me and we can see what can be arranged to get a copy to you.

Regards

Greg

JAMJTX
6th December 2002, 05:40
Please contact me if you can get me a copy of Budo - The Art of Killing

Jim Mc Coy

Joel Simmons
6th December 2002, 11:30
Alohas,

Just wondering if anyone else out there cringes every time they hear about another documentary concerning any traditional MA. Personally, I find many of these media companies just playing off the skills of these masters. They also tend to preserve stereotypes of the cultures from whence these traditions came.

Yes, they may be good entertainment. And, yes, they may have actually shot footage of or had the permission of some great masters, however, I would be interested to know if any of those masters saw the final product and how they feel about how they were portrayed.

My skepticism regarding the quality of such documentaries comes from seeing one too many Discovery channel or TLC "documentaries" which are poorly researched and produced. Did anyone see the documentary with the "Juko-kai" I believe they are called? Including those sort of antics in a film meant to discuss MA in a serious manner is what makes me question the motives of any film-maker trying to document MA.

Does anybody REALLY punch a locomotive for makiwara practice? Come on...

Finny
7th December 2002, 02:54
Greg - I am also in Perth, and am DESPERATE for a copy of those tapes. I'll email you.

Joel - I still haven't seen the documentary, but Ive read the book, and the TSKSR section was pretty well presented. From what I recall, it seemed to me as thought the authors (producers?) must have had a fairly close collaboration with Otake S.

Also, being a student of CMA, I enjoyed reading the Hsing-I/Wing Chun sections.

Overall one of the better books Ive come accross (BTW, Greg, If you're interested, there is a copy of it in the Alexander Library, in the city.)

Cheers,

Joel Simmons
7th December 2002, 10:58
Alohas,

Understandable. I just like to try and be the devil's advocate every now and then. Especially when I see a documentary entitled, "Budo and The Art of Killing." ??? In my opinion, that title oversimplifies Budo. Then again...who doesn't.

:)

ghp
8th December 2002, 17:53
"Budo: The Art of Killing" is the stupid English title. The authentic Japanese title is "Einaru Budo" -- Eternal Budo. It is a dynamite documentary and received an award from the Miami International Film Festival.

And sometime around 1970 -- years before the film was made -- my teacher told me that Shogo Kuniba sensei used to go to the park to punch a train for makiwara training. At that time I couldn't imagine how makiwara training would be done on a train -- but in 1988 I saw the film and was able to understand. I can't remember if it was Kuniba sensei in the movie, but I did hear that anecdote about him.

As to the question,"did any of the participants see the finished version?" I can only speak for Nakamura sensei. Yes, he saw the finished version and was in Miami to recieve some sort of recognition (or perhaps to perform) for the documentary. He told me that "Einaru Budo" did not receive Japan's Ministry of Education "seal of approval" because of two reasons: (1) the sumo-beya ... sumo is a professional sport; and (2) because of the final scene where Nakamura sensei seems to cut the head from opponent Obata Toshishiro.

Regards,
Guy

Budoka 34
8th December 2002, 18:10
"Eternal Budo" is an outstanding documentary.

We have discussed it here before.
I show it to the kids I work with to demonstrate the unlimited human potential.
I enjoy it because it represnts many arts, koryu and gendai, in a truthful and positive light.
I think it represents "true BuDo" much better than anything produced in the states.

I have a very bad copy on vhs.
Whoever puts it on DVD will make a killing!:idea:

:smilejapa

Joel Simmons
9th December 2002, 09:28
Alohas,

Well, it sounds like a better documentary than the English title implies. Like I said, just being skeptical here after seeing one too many TLC or Discovery Channel "mockumentaries."

I'd love to see this one, though. Sounds a bit more interesting.

allan
9th December 2002, 17:20
Hi all,

I have to put my two-bits worth somewhere in between Joel and Guy's positions.

Budo is definitely an exciting film. It's downright inspiring, especially on those winter nights when it is all too easy to forego trips to the dojo. It gives a broad representation of many koryu and gendai arts. There are many truly great sensei in the film.

The film does over-dramatize the arts and their practitioners.
The fact that the film begins with an over-stylized representation of seppuku sets this tone right away. The whole thing is quite theatrical really.

That said, I love to watch it about once a year with enthusiastic friends.

Now The Way of the Warrior series, that I want to see! I've had the book for several years.

Take Care,

ghp
11th December 2002, 04:12
Hi Allan,
The fact that the film begins with an over-stylized representation of seppuku sets this tone right away. No argument from me. But just to explain a bit ... the opening scene is performed by Hayashi Kunishiro, who was then -- and is still -- the "action coordinator" [tate-shi] for NHK Studios. Hayashi sensei has his own repertory company called Wakakoma-Puro -- Young-Studs Productions (actually, "young colt", but "stud" sounds better). His actors are multi-budo talented -- not only in many aspects of period budo waza, but in the "Shakesperian" period speech, manner of dress, proper wearing of armor, etc. Did you know the Japanese mount horses from the off side (the right)? That's so the tachi will ride atop the left leg as it swings over the saddle; otherwise (so I was told), the tachi gets in the way. If ever you've seen a jidai-geki [Taiga Drama] on NHK -- then you've seen his work. Hayashi sensei was a student of Nakamura Taisaburo sensei for a while -- and Obata Toshishiro learned his "jidai" stage-craft from Hayashi sensei.

Still -- it's a great film (albeit a bit tedious after the first viewing). I just have problems watching the sumo-beya when they stand on the beginner's thighs while he is being stretched by another senior -- that audible "POP!!" and bone-chilling "AAARRRrrggghhhhh!!!" just gives me the shivers!

Wish I could thrash the bounder who first entitled it "Budo: The Art of Killing"!!!

Regards,
Guy

Michael Becker
11th December 2002, 17:09
Originally posted by Michael Becker
Hello

Regarding the Way of the Warrior series, I recently sent out copies of the Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu episode to some people in Europe and the US ( I will be sending a copy out to a gentleman in Japan in the near future ).

Several people in the US that I sent copies to have said that they will be willing to do copies for intrested people.
It will take a few more weeks for people to sort out NTSC format copies, but I will post a message when they are available.

I've had a few people contact me recently again regarding this program, ( old threads never die...). Unfortunately I cannot send out any further copies as I have moved house recently and the tape is in storage-a long distance from where I am now.

I did send out copies to people in the US, Japan, South America and Europe, so hopefully someone could help out any searchers.

Jake McKee
21st January 2003, 19:56
Budo: The Art of Killing has finally been released on dvd and is available here. (http://www.budovideos.com/eternalbudodvd.html) The dvd version captures the 70's music and the outdoor sceneary like it deserves to be shown!

Best,

pboylan
1st February 2003, 20:38
"BUDO - THE ART OF KILLING" is still available, at least in Japanese. We've got it on the Mugendo Budogu site on this page
http://budogu.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page49.html I'm sorry the site's not easily searchable (I'm supposed to be working on the new site right now). The video is about 2/3 of the way down the page. It's product number vSPA-1905 and the Japanese title is "Eien Naru Budo" (very roughly, "Budo Will Be Forever"

Peter "the Budo Bum" Boylan
Mugendo Budogu LLC
Fine Martial Arts Books, Videos, Clothing and Equipment from Japan to You.
http://budogu.com