PDA

View Full Version : ki

budo_student
5th August 2001, 05:54
Could someone tell me what SK's take is on ki? Do practicioners use the kiai as in other Japanese martial arts?

Stephan Badamo

MarkF
5th August 2001, 10:54
Hi, Stephan,
I don't know if you have seen it or not, but there is a discussion of "Ki" in the Aikido forum. It may help with your inquiry here.

Just a friendly nod.

Mark

PS: Then again, you could be asking here because you DID see that thread in Aikido. In that case, never mind.:)

budo_student
5th August 2001, 19:35
Hello:

I was curious about Shorinji Kempo's view on ki and kiai. How much of it is taught or if taught at all. I appreciate your response though.

Stephan Badamo

Mäki-Kuutti Vesa
12th August 2001, 20:07
Gassho.

About teachings of Ki in Shorinji Kempo.

"It is essential to bind together one's mental powers, one's ki, and one's physical strength in the pursuit of Shorinji Kempo...
In Shorinji Kempo, the work of the mind is to sense an opponent'sattack and defences; the work of ki is to seize the right opportunity to overcome an opponent; and applying techniques is the role of physical strength"

The appearance of kiryoku (the energy of life) in the body is known as kisei (spirit) and the appearance of that in the voice is known as kiai. Just yelling will not suffice to direct your ki, you must learn how to direct your ki.

Also kiai is used in Shorinji Kempo practise and is taught to student in many various ways.