PDA

View Full Version : Mjer

ScottUK
8th August 2001, 00:57
Does anyone have a .gif or a .jpg of the Kanji for 'Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu' or know where I can find it?

Thanks in advance

Scott

Mark Brecht
8th August 2001, 13:06
That should be correct...

PS: Btw, did I plug already that we have an Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Kyohan for sale... :up:

ScottUK
8th August 2001, 23:56
Cheers Mark,

How does the the Kanji break down? I have something very similar and when I asked a Japanese friend of mine, he said something about "this character means england".

I was befuddled, but forgot to ask him what each character meant.

Ideas?

btw What's all this about a kyohan? We're moving dojos soon so anything you have to offer I would be very interested in seeing.

Regards (and thanks for the kanji)

Scott

Chi
9th August 2001, 10:09
Originally posted by ScottUK
How does the the Kanji break down? I have something very similar and when I asked a Japanese friend of mine, he said something about "this character means england".

Yes, the 5th character does indeed represent "England", but it actually has another meaning (I think all "country" kanji do in fact...) - "Ei" also means "Brilliant, gifted, talented".

Here is a very quick breakdown of the Kanji... note that the kanji may also have other meanings... and I'm only going by the kanji Mark provided in the image above...

–³ = Mu = nothingness; none; ain't; nothing; nil; not
‘o = So = pair; set; comparison; counter for pairs
(Muso = Peerless, matchless, unparalleled)

’¼ = Jiki = straightaway; honesty; frankness; fix; repair
“` = Den =?@transmit; go along; walk along; follow; report; communicate; legend; tradition
(Jikiden = direct transmission (of mysteries or skill); initiation)

‰p = Ei = Brilliant, gifted, talented; England
?M = Shin = faith; truth; fidelity; trust
(Eishin = a given first name? Is this right?)

—¬ = Ryuu = current; a sink; flow; forfeit; school (of thought)

Regards,

Chris.

Earl Hartman
9th August 2001, 21:04
Yes. Eishin was the given name of Hasegawa Eishin, the 7th generation headmaster of the ryu. He introduced wide-ranging changes, one of which was the adaptation of the early tachi-style drawing techniques to a drawing technique more suited to the katana. After that, the ryu was known by his name.

Also, I believe that the name Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu, which can be translated as "The Peerless, Directly Transmitted School of Eishin", was officially adopted by Oe Masamichi, the 18th headmaster of the school. The ryu had been known by various names up until then, AFAIK. When I first started learning it, everyone called it "Hasegawa Eishin Ryu".