PDA

View Full Version : Looking for representatives of these old schools.

Ninjabumon
10th August 2001, 04:02
Hello,
I am a Godan in the Bujinkan. I realize I don't know everything like my breathen sometimes portray, but not always. I was wondering if anyone is a representative of Katori Shinto Ryu here in the U.S.? If so how long have you trained, and who was your teacher as well? I am also looking for a representative of Araki Ryu as well. I believe there is one in Oregon, but I am not sure. I am intrested in them coming to my dojo to do a possible seminar next year. It would be great to see some other perspectives on Bujutsu. Only serious inquires please respond. Thanks.
Country Ninja,
Tracy Crocker

Daniel Lee
10th August 2001, 04:36
Hi Tracy,

The only representative of Katori Shinto Ryu headmaster Iizasa-soke is Otake-sensei who leads the shinbukan dojo in Japan. If you are interested in just taking a look at the style though, the Nippon Budokan produced a video on TSKSR as part of a larger series on ko-budo.

Best,

------------------------------

Daniel Lee

Tony Peters
10th August 2001, 06:40
While what Daniel said is true about there only being the one rep in Otake-sensei. There may be a Rep of the Deceased Sugino Sensei in the US (I'm honestly not sure) There was a long and sometimes nasty thread on this (Sugino's line)a while back. For sure there are folks here in the US who use the name Katori Shinto Ryu. however thaty have nothing to do with the Koryu art of the same name no matter what they might say (I hope that doesn't start anything).
As for Araki Ryu. As far as I've heard there is but one man and that is Ellis Amdur (gads I hope I spelled that right) he is in and out of Ebudo so He'll likely chime in at some point. He does BTW live in the Pacific Northwest

pboylan
10th August 2001, 17:53
Phil Relnick is living in the US and holds a kyoshi license in KSR from Otake Sensei. However, he does not speak as a representative of the ryuha, and he does not have the authority to admit anyone to the ryuha. Only Otake Sensei holds that authority.

Peter Boylan
Mugendo Budogu LLC: Books, Videos and Equipment from Japan
<A HREF="http://budogu.com">http://budogu.com</A>

yamamatsuryu
14th August 2001, 21:30
Relnick Sensei is currently in Washington State, over in the Woodinville area. There is another Koryu instructor residing around the Portland, Oregon area, but I haven't been able to nail down exactly where. BTW, Relnick Sensei is an immeasurable fount of information about Koryu.

FastEd
15th August 2001, 06:00
Hi Yamamatsuryu,
Just to let you know, you need to provide your real name, as per the forum regulations.

Sincerly,

yamamatsuryu
15th August 2001, 06:27
I'm sorry
My computer wigged out this afternoon. I didn't even know that my message posted until I (Finally) got into my mail this evening.

Jared Albrecht
Yamamatsu-Ryu