PDA

View Full Version : Kashima Shin-ryu shinai

Eric Baluja
16th August 2001, 12:44
Just wondering if there are any commercial sources for this unique type of shinai. Thanks!

pboylan
18th August 2001, 13:28
Nope. The demand is so small that almost no one makes them. Karl Friday was telling a group of us at the Guelph Summer Sword School http://www.uoguelph.ca/~iaido/gsjsa_ma.htm that there's only one guy that makes them for the Kashima Shinryu.

I will add that the particular weapons used by most koryu are rare and expensive. This is because there's no demand for them. Even the most common ones, can be Itto Ryu okuto and kote are difficult to find, and very expensive when you can find them. I carry Itto Ryu bokuto, and for no reason that I can understand, they cost more than twice what a standard bokuto does.

Peter Boylan
Mugendo Budogu LLC
Martial Arts Books, Videos and Equipment from Japan
http://www.budogu.com

Enfield
19th August 2001, 23:18
Are you looking for fukurojinai exactly like they use in KSR, or are you looking for any old fukurojinai? If the first, the Mr. Boylan is proably right. If the latter, then I know that Bujin Design makes and sells them. They're somewhere around $60, I think.

- Kent

Eric Baluja
20th August 2001, 15:19
Thanks for your help, messrs.

I've used the Bujin Design shinai. Great stuff, but so heavy you may as well be walloping each other with bokuto!

What I like about the KSR shinai is the tsuba design. Since it apparently doesn't exist commercially, I'll just have to make one myself.

Thanks again!

pboylan
20th August 2001, 15:37
You think the Bujin fukuro shinai are heavy! The Kashima Shinryu fukuro shinai weigh at least as much as a shinken! They are quite massive, and I suspect it would take quite a while to get to the point where practicing with them wouldn't leave you completely worn out.

Peter Boylan
Mugendo Budogu LLC
Martial Arts Books,Videos and Equipment from Japan
http://www.budogu.com

Evan London
20th August 2001, 17:06
Originally posted by pboylan
You think the Bujin fukuro shinai are heavy! The Kashima Shinryu fukuro shinai weigh at least as much as a shinken! They are quite massive, and I suspect it would take quite a while to get to the point where practicing with them wouldn't leave you completely worn out.

Eric,
If you do get one of these things, you can forget training with me! I'm not getting hit on the head with one of those things!

:-)
Ev

Enfield
21st August 2001, 01:39
Originally posted by Eric Baluja
I've used the Bujin Design shinai. Great stuff, but so heavy you may as well be walloping each other with bokuto!

Um, you are aware that even kendo shinai weigh as much as bokuto? The relative safety of shinai come from flexibility, not lightness. And fukurojinai are supposed to be more "bokuto-like" than regular shinai. (Actually, it's the other way around, but the result is the same.)

- Kent

Eric Baluja
22nd August 2001, 13:29
Originally posted by Enfield
Um, you are aware that even kendo shinai weigh as much as bokuto? No, I've never done kendo...but the kendo shinai I have used have been much lighter than the bokuto I'm used to. I'm not sure if I've only used only light kendo shinai or if it's that I use bokuto that are way too heavy!

Thank you for your assistance.

Enfield
24th August 2001, 01:29
Originally posted by Eric Baluja
[T]he kendo shinai I have used have been much lighter than the bokuto I'm used to. I'm not sure if I've only used only light kendo shinai or if it's that I use bokuto that are way too heavy!

Shinai for kendo competition for adult males must be at least 500 grams without tsuba. I think they may have upped that recently. Most "normal" oak bokuto are in the 450g to 500g range. Sure if you get sunuke or some other dense exotic hardwood, or use Jigen Ryu or some other extra thick style bokuto, it'll be more than that.

Now, how heavy they feel is a different animal. My simple old shirogashi bokuto feels heavier than my shinai, even though they weigh the same. The bokuto is balanced farther away from the tsuba (about 6 inches versus about 4.5 inches) and has a significantly shorter tsuka. Also, shinai will bend (slightly) under the force of decent swing, so you don't actually accelerate the shinai all at once. Hence you need less force over a greater period to accelerate it than if it were perfectly rigid. All of these will contribute to the shinai feeling lighter.

sagasu mu
7th August 2006, 16:36
Hello! Tell please, what length has fukuroshinai?

Chuck.Gordon
7th August 2006, 19:13
Hello! Tell please, what length has fukuroshinai?

No standard length. Depends on the ryuha ... however, the 'standard' aikido fukuroshinai (like the ones sold at www.bujindesign.com) are a similar length to the 'standard' bokken/bokuto.

If you're referring to the OP, the Kashima Shinryu fukuroshinai is about the same size as their bokuto, dimension-wise and heft-wise. It's kind of a monster.

cg

PS: Before an admin yells at you, (unless your actual name is Sagasu Mu) I'll remind you to post your full and correct name in your posts, you can set your sig to do so automatically in the User CP section ...

sagasu mu
8th August 2006, 04:25
If you're referring to the OP, the Kashima Shinryu fukuroshinai is about the same size as their bokuto, dimension-wise and heft-wise. It's kind of a monster.

great thanks

PS: Before an admin yells at you, (unless your actual name is Sagasu Mu) I'll remind you to post your full and correct name in your posts, you can set your sig to do so automatically in the User CP section ...

I have specified a name, but it is not displayed.

Brian Owens
8th August 2006, 05:33
I have specified a name, but it is not displayed.
Hello Alexei. Welcome to e-Budo. I am the moderator of this forum.

If you go to your "User CP" (the button is near the top of each page), then select "Edit Options" from the menu that appears on the left, you can scroll down and click the box marked "Show Signature" to fix the first problem.

The second problem is that our rules say you must include your full name, so "Alexei M" isn't enough; we need see your full surname.

Thanks.

Mekugi
12th August 2006, 06:46
Kashima Shinto Ryu style...
Me
http://budoguten.futagotrader.com/bokuto/ (Up close HERE (http://budoguten.futagotrader.com/bokuto/KS01/KashimaShinto-Shinai.gif))

Them...you get a tsuba though...
http://store.yahoo.co.jp/xebec/newitem1.html