PDA

View Full Version : Good book on E-bay

MarkF
22nd August 2001, 11:43
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1458073551

The seller is e-budo merchant, Mark Brecht. He lives and trains in Japan, and he only posts good quality merchandise.

Mark F.

Barry Southam
23rd August 2001, 21:08
Mark,

I have those two books in hardcover and bought them many years ago.... I really like them!!! They did come out with smaller versions with laminated covers which were nice also....But I haven't seen them in the book stores...

I THINK I'LL KEEP THEM!!!

Barry E. Southam

Ben_Holmes
24th August 2001, 04:24
Barry, I believe you're referring to the "Judo in Action" books when you mention the "smaller versions with laminated covers" They were actually *slightly* abbreviated versions... For example, the entire discussion at the back of the Newaza book is missing in the Judo in Action version.

The hardcover "Dynamic Judo" is better to own than the "Judo in Action", but if you don't have a choice, the "Judo in Action" appears to be more widely available, and somewhat cheaper.

www.bestjudo.com

MarkF
24th August 2001, 07:54
Hey, I wish I could afford them. I was told (posted here, if I'm not mistaken) that Canon of Judo was available for USD 58.00. I went screaming to the store's website, but the best I could get was a promise to let me know when another was available.

Anyway, I was asked to post it seeing as it is a judo book and the guy is a friend who works here for big bucks like me.;)

Mark

efb8th
24th August 2001, 13:16
Hi, Guys.

The big draw here is that this is a signed first edition, and it will likely sell for at least the asking price as such. For those of us who are more interested in information, this title is available at about a C-note, if you are willing to shop around.

And the review, of course, is accurate. This is a great set (along with the green GRAPPLING book).

Enjoy salivating!

Regards,

Barry Southam
24th August 2001, 21:22
Ben,

You're right! I made a mistake..The smaller versions were Judo in Action...

The copyright on my books are:

Dynamic Judo Throwing tech., 1966 but then it reads
first edition March 1967
second printing Nov. 1967
third printing Sept. 1968

Dynamic Judo Grappling Tech., 1967
first edition July 1967
second printing July 1968

By the way I also have an old book entitled:

Illustrated Kodokan Judo copyright 1955

Barry E. Southam

Ben_Holmes
25th August 2001, 00:36
Barry, save that Kodokan Judo!! When I bought the newer 1986 version, I donated my 1955 to the local library. Years later, when I decided I wanted to have the 1955 edition (There are differences between them), I got lucky and found one for $75... the *going* rate is around $100-125.

By the way, another set of books (Tachi and Newaza) that often goes underappreciated is the "Vital Judo" set. I don't think that there's a finer guide to Newaza than the Newaza half of this book set. If you can find either one, jump on it!

Barry Southam
25th August 2001, 00:57
Ben,

When you mentioned about giving your Illustrated Kodokan Judo book to the library brings up a story.....My friend Bob Brown teachs Judo at the local YMCA and had a student from Brazil.....Before the student was to return home after attending school here he had a copy of the "BOOK"...He got it from ther local High school and was going to let's say borrow it for a long long time.....He didn't know what he had so my friend Bob talked him into returning the book to the high school......Bob then went in and I don't know how he did it.....Talked the librarian into selling this old book to him for next to nothing!!!!! So he managed to get a copy......Ben, schools don't know what value that book is in Judo and you might be able to get it back....Hey, buy them the newer version which I also have and ask for a swap.....Just don't explain the need to have it or they might just want to keep it...

It's too bad that the late Don Draeger and the Japanese gentleman who co authored their FormaL techniques( Nage and Katame no Kata)....Weren't able to author other Kata Books as well....

It would be interesting if someone would author a very indepth and professionally written book on the application of Judo techniques and principles to seldefense for experienced practitioners....I mean a several hundred page hardback book!!!

Take Care

Barry E. Southam

Ben_Holmes
25th August 2001, 05:22
One of the really funny aspects of this story about giving "Kodokan Judo" to the library I haven't mentioned yet... The past few weeks just before the closing rei, I've been drilling the class to memorize Dewy Decimal 796.8 (I hope I don't have to tell anyone here what you can find at the library under that number) Anyway, one of the adult brown belts came up to me after class, raving about how he'd located the 1955 Kodokan Judo book at the library, and had checked it out to read. I just turned to him, and gave the name of the library (there are a number of them in the local area), and he was surprised that I knew. Then I told him the story...

I would, encourage anyone who has extra Judo books laying around to donate them to your local library. I know that it was Anton Geesink's "My Championship Judo" that I checked out of a library when I was 12 years old that got me started in my lifetime love of Judo. So if you have any spare books, put'em to good use!

Re: Self-Defense Judo... good idea. There's still a few areas of Judo that can be explored by some good authors. I've often thought of writing a book myself, and my instructor told me: "Stand out, be different!! Be the Judoka who DOESN'T write a book!" LOL!! But I've often thought of something similar to Syd Hoare's "Judo A-Z"... a sort of 'vade mecum' for Judoka. Containing all the kata techniques in order, all the vocabulary, tons of renraku ideas... that sort of thing. Perhaps someday...

MarkF
26th August 2001, 07:46
Remember, no matter what you have, you can't take them with you so donation to a library is a great idea, and says good things were don't hear much, with the advent of e-bay and other auction e-houses.

Ben,
I think your teacher gave you good advice. Syd Hoare's book is an exception, as is anything he has written, but some of the better books come about after a series of articles have been published, referred to for some years, then a book could be considered.

Books of letters always do well, too.

As to NOT writing a book, there are few Syds and too many W. Sharp's around. Not that his books are bad, they just aren't much different, and in some cases, they just doesn't hold up. Gene LeBell writes great books but doesn't just stick to judo, as he's had an amazing life to date.

I had thought of doing something like that at one time as someone asked why I didn't write a book or series of articles. The advice I received was to write a book takes a liftime of knowledge, and is really a work of the heart/soul, but articles now, can be done and published even if just on the Internet.

Just recently, I wrote a comment to the owner/publisher of a website which had published a revue of a seminar I had been to, and he invited me to write a review or articles on any seminar I attend. Just a coincidence, but it was an "aiki" publication.

Just my two yen, but I don't know if this had been published here or not (I did so elsewhere, or someone else could have published it here, so here is the link, just in case).

http://www.bujindesign.com/newsletter/current/review6.shtml

But if you are published a lot in that fashion then later a book would probably not be such an undertaking. It may take some big bucks, though.

Mark