PDA

View Full Version : Combat! (UK)

John McCollum
23rd August 2001, 20:46
Dear all,

For those of you living here in the UK, I recomend buying Combat magazine this month. They've included a CD-ROM entitled "encyclopedia of martial arts" in its September issue. I lifted a copy of this fine journal on the off-chance that the encyclopedia would be worth flicking through, and was very pleasantly surprised by the content.

Not only is there a load of information about other arts, but a fairly lengthy section covering Shorinji Kempo. I was particularly impressed with the video clips starring Mizuno Sensei performing some high-level techniques. There are also some nice embu sections displayed. £2.50 well spent, I reckon.

Sadly, none of our illustrious e-budo members were in action.:p

Steve Williams
25th August 2001, 13:14
Sadly I was not there for the photoshoot.....

It was about 4 years ago (if memory serves) and I was away at the time...... or maybe they just thought I wasn't photogenic enough??? Or maybe it was the effects of alcohol (see bad-budo "drunk" thread for explaination).

The Shorinji pics and video are very good...... don't know about a lot of the other "stuff"...... check the "sport karate" videos, I think they are probably good fighters, but the clips they used just look like very poor scrappy waving about arms and legs....... anyone else of the same opinion??

George Hyde
28th August 2001, 15:04
Originally posted by Steve Williams
Sadly I was not there for the photoshoot.....
maybe they just thought I wasn't photogenic enough???

Somebody else tell him... please.

I managed to get a copy of this yesterday (thanks John) and I'm glad I never managed to find it when it was on general release. It's OK, but I would have been v-disappointed if I'd had to pay the 29.99 asking price.

Whilst I'm of the opinion that "Combat" is a bloody awful publication, I'm glad they did this (though they could have made more of an effort to push it) because SK stands up very well alongside all the other "stuff" and the exposure can't hurt.

Later,

John McCollum
29th August 2001, 19:32
I agree with a lot of what has been said...I'm just glad that the article "KARATE vs TAE KWON DO: WHICH IS BEST" wasn't as bad as it threatened to be...

I think I would have been disappointed if I'd paid 29.99 for the CD too, but for free, I was pretty chuffed. It's eternally interesting for me to look at the differences and similarities in other arts. Although some of the clips were of the "Sport Karate" variety, there were clearly some talented martial artists doing their thang on other parts of the disk. I thought the Wing Chun and Escrima/Arnis dudes were particularly frightening.

I know I might be just a touch biased, but I really thought, like George, that our art was up there with the best of them.